News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Canada

Started by Veritalk, October 11, 2014, 11:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Veritalk

Would like to use my Obi100 in Canada.

Need a Canadian telephone number for inbound calls.

Would like to use Google voice for inbound and outbound calls.

Is this possible?

Suggestions to accomplish this?

Thanks.

giqcass

This has been discussed at great length in the past.  I am personally unaware of anything new on this front since the last discussion I took part in.  The best overall deal for Canadians that I am aware of is freephoneline.ca and www.localphone.com is a favorite service of mine that offers Canadian DIDs.

When using Google Voice for incoming and outgoing calls the number will be a US number.   It can't be made to appear as another number and it can't be forwarded to a Canadian DID.  That makes Google Voice unnecessary when used with a service that provides a Canadian DID unless you want a second US presence.

Possibly someone with more recent information on Canadian ITSPs can chime in.
Long live our new ObiLords!

SteveInWA

Quote from: giqcass on October 15, 2014, 10:03:55 PM
This has been discussed at great length in the past.  I am personally unaware of anything new on this front since the last discussion I took part in.  The best overall deal for Canadians that I am aware of is freephoneline.ca and www.localphone.com is a favorite service of mine that offers Canadian DIDs.

When using Google Voice for incoming and outgoing calls the number will be a US number.   It can't be made to appear as another number and it can't be forwarded to a Canadian DID.  That makes Google Voice unnecessary when used with a service that provides a Canadian DID unless you want a second US presence.

Possibly someone with more recent information on Canadian ITSPs can chime in.

Correct.

Also, check out voip.ms, which is a Canadian ITSP that's been around a long time, with a good reputation.

Veritalk

Is this possible:

SP1: Anveo with Canadian Number (for incoming calls)
SP2: Google Voice (for outgoing calls)

Anveo also offers E911.

Can it be configured such that 911 calls go out on SP1?

Thanks.

giqcass

Perfectly acceptable setup and fairly simple.

Shale

Quote from: Veritalk on October 19, 2014, 08:42:15 PM
Is this possible:

SP1: Anveo with Canadian Number (for incoming calls)
SP2: Google Voice (for outgoing calls)

Anveo also offers E911.

Can it be configured such that 911 calls go out on SP1?

Thanks.
Yes on the last question.  For the first question, I don't know if you can get the GV for Canada, but if you can, you can put it on SP2.

giqcass

Quote from: Shale on October 19, 2014, 08:48:16 PM
Yes on the last question.  For the first question, I don't know if you can get the GV for Canada, but if you can, you can put it on SP2.
There is still no Google Voice in Canada as mentioned earlier however it can be setup with a US phone number and outgoing calls to Canada are still free.

Rob01

I recently helped a friend with a similar setup except I used freephonline.ca on SP1 and Google Voice on SP2.  He is very happy with it.  He uses freephoneline.ca for outgoing calls unless he wants to call the US (or one of the few Canadian area like Bracebridge ON that cannot be reached with freephonline.ca).