News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Blocking Robo Calls

Started by azrobert, October 12, 2014, 08:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azrobert

A big THANK YOU goes to SteveInWa for this solution.

See: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8799.msg58218#msg58218

I set it up by changing the X_InboundCallRoute on my OBi200 to this:
ph,sp2(18661234567@tf.callwithus.com;ui=$1)

18661234567 is your nomorobo number.

I tested the above by defining a speed dial like this:
sp2(18661234567@tf.callwithus.com;ui=3194327596)

3194327596 is a marketing company.
When I placed the call to nonorobo they picked up with a message that they blocked the call.
I then called nomorobo with a good callerid and got a busy signal.

This is way better than maintaining a black list.

Steve, thanks again.

lhm.

While this works, ph,sp2(18667321111@tf.callwithus.com;ui=$1)
How can I merge it into this prior IBCR
{(18006331111):ph},{(?|x|xx|xxx|xxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx|000xx.|1876xx.|1555xx.|1800xx.|1855xx.|1866xx.|1877xx.|1888xx.|un@@.|anon@@.):},{(<**4>16159111111):aa($1)},{>('17772821111'):ph}

TIA

Luke

azrobert

{(18006331111):ph},{(?|x|xx|xxx|xxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx|000xx.|1876xx.|1555xx.|1800xx.|1855xx.|1866xx.|1877xx.|1888xx.|un@@.|anon@@.):},{(<**4>16159111111):aa($1)},{>('17772821111'):ph,sp2(18667321111@tf.callwithus.com;ui=$1)}

Rick

Almost all the robocalls I get fit two descriptions:

1) Anonymous.  No callerid displays.  So this won't work (unless I want to reject all anonymous calls).

2) False callerid.  Displays the number of some poor slob somewhere, but not the true caller.

Currently I use GV to block numbers, or anonymous calls, AFTER I receive one.  However, I've found that their anonymous blocking no longer seems to work.

My fix is to not answer anonymous calls, see if they leave a message, and if not block them.

Ostracus

I see "no caller id" as a failure if one's paying for the service.

Rick

Nothing is displayed when a slimy telemarketing company takes steps to hide their callerid when they make robocalls.  Since nothing shows, there is no way to block it that I know of by any service, although supposedly GV had a string attached to it (like Unknown.7c92b916bccb7bdc3116571b9c79cbca22bddaf5?) which GV supposedly could block.

My point is that if that's how a call comes through, I don't see how this service is going to block it.

azrobert

NoMoRobo is blocking anonymous calls. 99% of the anonymous calls I receive are junk, but a few are valid. I changed my inbound route to bypass NoMoRobo for anonymous calls.

{(?):ph},{ph,sp2(18661234567@tf.callwithus.com;ui=$1)}

giqcass

Darnit.  I tried to make this work about a year back in a slightly different manner.  I couldn't quite get it.  Thank you to SteveInWa and azrobert.  I haven't added any new posts to my magic vault in a while but this one is going to get a spot!   ;)

Luckily this is no longer needed in my case.  It's been months since I got so much as a butt dial on my primary line.  Fingers crossed. I hope I didn't jinx myself.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Shale

I expect there would be a variation where the first ring, that normally rings the phone even on a robocall, gets suppressed. This might involve forking the call to the local phone (ph) only after a 4?-second delay.

lhm.

Quote from: Shale on October 17, 2014, 09:10:17 AM
I expect there would be a variation where the first ring, that normally rings the phone even on a robocall, gets suppressed. This might involve forking the call to the local phone (ph) only after a 4?-second delay.

How could that be accomplished on a Obi100?

Based on this thread, I am not optimistic that it can be done.   http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8494.msg55797#msg55797

Shale

azrobert

It bothered me that I had to let Anonymous calls thru.
I solved the problem by sending Anonymous to the Auto Attendant like this:
{(?|4808370000):aa},{ph,sp2(18661234567@tf.callwithus.com;ui=$1)}

"4808370000" is for testing.
I changed the AA Menu prompt to "Press one to connect".
I deleted all other AA prompts.
I enabled an AA PIN and changed the outbound route to prevent unauthorized outbound calls.
Now a real person must hear the prompt and press "1" to get thru.

When I created the custom prompt I included about 45 seconds of silence at the end of the message. I did this because the prompt is repeated if the caller doesn't respond for approximately 5 seconds. Now it takes about 45 seconds before the prompt is repeated.

giqcass

Quote from: Shale on October 17, 2014, 09:10:17 AM
I think a 2 second delay might be enough.  It can probably be rerouted like this to create a delay.  d=2
sp2(18661234567@tf.callwithus.com;ui=$1),sp2(reroutedcall@obilocalip:port;d=2,ui=$1)

The call would be sent to ph by another sp.
Long live our new ObiLords!

unmesh

I'm going to try posting on this old thread to see if anyone replies before opening a new one because of all the useful information here.

We use GV on an Obi110 and have had a sudden surge in robocalls in recent weeks. GV is provisioned as SP1.

Will this technique work for our setup? Do I have to provision SP2 since the settings mention it?

I am willing to switch to a Obi200 if that is necessary?

Thanks.

SteveInWA

Quote from: unmesh on July 18, 2016, 10:51:29 PM
I'm going to try posting on this old thread to see if anyone replies before opening a new one because of all the useful information here.

We use GV on an Obi110 and have had a sudden surge in robocalls in recent weeks. GV is provisioned as SP1.

Will this technique work for our setup? Do I have to provision SP2 since the settings mention it?

I am willing to switch to a Obi200 if that is necessary?

Thanks.

First, log onto your Google Voice account from a laptop or desktop computer's web browser, go here:

https://www.google.com/voice#callsettings

...and enable (check-mark) the Global Spam Filtering option.  It's highly effective; I rarely get robocalls on my GV number.

If that doesn't solve your issue, then yes, you'd need to do some expert configuration tweaking to "fork" the calls to  nomorobo, per Robert's earlier posts here.

I should mention that this is an old thread, and since it started, "callwithus.com" no longer accepts inbound calls from unregistered users.  There are some other providers, though.

unmesh

I already had Global Spam Filtering enabled but calls have recently started getting through.

Will play with forking calls tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick response.

SteveInWA

This stopped working for me at some unknown, but recent point in time.

My inbound call route looks like this:

{(5oooooooo|6oooooooo|6oooooooo):aa},{ph1,sp2(18667326184@sip.tollfreeproxy.com;ui=$1)}

(note that I've blanked out my three OBi numbers with "oooooooo" for this post)

The OBi's call history shows:

Fork to:
PH1
SP2(18667326184@sip.tollfreeproxy.com;ui=1425nnnnnnn)
--------
Ringing (PH1)

I can't recall what it used to say when it actually worked, but I think this means that sip.tollfreeproxy.com isn't completing the call.

Would somebody that is using this scheme please test it by logging into their Nomorobo web page, and having Nomorobo run their test call?

I would simply use SP2 to call the nomorobo number directly, but Callcentric apparently doesn't support spoofing the caller ID (the ui=$1 parameter).

azrobert

I defined a speed dial to test "sip.tollfreegateway.com" and it failed to connect.
I use "tf.arctele.com" for toll free numbers. "tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com" also works.

The following worked in the past, but don't know if they still do:
sip.denetron.com
sip.tollfreeproxy.com

SteveInWA

Thanks for the alternative proxies! arctele appears to be working.

Would you please run your same speed dial test on sip.tollfreeproxy.com?  Their website is still up (although it's really primitive), but my guess is that their proxy is now out of service.  Or, did you do that, and "sip.tollfreegateway.com" was a typo in your post?

This is starting to feel like a hunt for endangered species, with the various small-time players disappearing.  I suspect that some of the free or very-low-cost inbound service providers will also stop offering those services in 2017, when the FCC's new "bill and keep" inter-carrier rules go into effect.