News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google voice problems after switching to DSL

Started by vldmr, October 12, 2014, 09:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vldmr

Hi,

I just switched internet provider from cable to DSL, and got a crop of problems with GV on OBI 200.

First, it started to go silent in the middle of the call - does not matter if incoming or outgoing.

After that when i try to redial, I get dial tone, but no connection. I power cycle the OBI box, and it starts to work again, until next time.

It also happen to stop making outgoing call after not being used. Again, power cycle of OBI box makes it work.

The status of GV is always shown as connected, all lights are green. The internet connection seems to be up, making video calls on skype works fine.

Can anyone give an advice what I can do to troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks

Mango

1) When you changed ISPs, did you also change your router?  Does your new DSL modem come with a router?

2) Are you using your household telephone wiring for your ADSL modem and also for your OBi-connected telephones?  If so that is a problem that needs to be fixed as these cannot share the same pair of wires.

3) Are you using Google Voice directly with your OBi, or via a third party such as Callcentric?

vldmr

1) When you changed ISPs, did you also change your router?  Does your new DSL modem come with a router?

The (wifi) router after dsl modem is the same as was with cable modem. Dsl modem does have wireless router built in, wireless is disabled on it, the only thing plugged into the modem is my wireless router (same setup as was with cable).

2) Are you using your household telephone wiring for your ADSL modem and also for your OBi-connected telephones?  If so that is a problem that needs to be fixed as these cannot share the same pair of wires.

No, wiring is used only for DSL modem. The OBI is connected only to wireless phone base station.

3) Are you using Google Voice directly with your OBi, or via a third party such as Callcentric?

Google Voice is directly setup through OBItalk.

Thanks

Mango

When you say wireless is disabled, do you mean the modem is in bridge mode?  Take a look at the WAN IP on your router.  If it starts with 192.168. or 10. then your problem can almost certainly be solved by placing your modem in bridge mode so that your router receives a public IP address.

If my guess is wrong and that is not the case, the next thing to do is investigate the quality of your internet bandwidth.  Open Command Prompt (Windows) or Terminal (Mac) and type ping -t google.com (Windows) or ping google.com (Mac).  Leave this running for a while - perhaps 15 minutes or even an hour - then press CTRL+C to quit.  Note the number of packets that were lost.  1% or greater indicates a potential problem.  If you notice a large variation in the ping time, this is known as jitter and also indicates a problem.

If neither of those give us a clue as to what the problem is, I'm out of ideas.  Perhaps someone else here will be able to make further suggestions.

SteveInWA

My first thought was also that the problem was caused by the chaining of two routers.  So, yes, either put the DSL router in bridge mode, or, if that router has a 4-port switch built into it, unplug the OBi's ethernet cable from your other router, and plug it into one of the LAN switch ports on the DSL modem/router, just like you already have your other router connected.

For troubleshooting purposes only, you could also unplug your other router completely, and just plug the OBi into one of the LAN ports on the DSL modem/router.

vldmr

OK, I switched modem to bridge mode. Will report later if that resolved the issue.

Thanks to all.

vldmr

During two days after switching the modem to bridged mode there were no problems with GV any more. It appears that the issue was resolved.

Thanks

Taoman

Interesting. I recently got a new Comcast cable modem with built in router/ap. My plan was to put the router in bridge mode. But I thought I may as well try it being double routed. Works like a champ. Haven't had one hiccup and I have 6 VoIPs configured in addition to Google Voice. I'm not using a DMZ or any port forwarding. The only thing I had to do was configure a static route from my 192. network to my 10. network so I could configure the Comcast router from behind my second router. Go figure.

Mango

Double NAT is not inherently a problem, though it does introduce an additional point of failure.  If one of the two routers in a double NAT situation does not handle UDP traffic correctly, or has a poorly-performing SIP ALG (not relevant to Google Voice), then your VoIP will have issues.  Fortunately this seems not to be the case for you.