News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Second / Bridged Router

Started by dom1, October 15, 2014, 11:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dom1

I have 2 routers on my network. The obi110 is connected to the Verizon supplied wireless router/modem. Can I move the obi to the second router which acts as a repeater? The second router is connected to the first via coax cable and is in a more accessible part of the house

Rick

I suspect your two routers are connected by ethernet cable, not coax cable.

You can connect the OBi to either router and it should work fine, since it's all hard-wired.

dom1

Nope they are connected via Coax and a Coax adapter http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Over-Coax-Adapter/dp/B0022NHMZY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top. Will it matter that the second router(access point) does not have a modem. The main router from verizon an MI424WR (GigE for Verizon FiOS) has the modem. Thanks hope that URL appears correctly.

Rick

Only one modem per home network.  Everything connected to that network uses the same modem. 

dom1

Quote from: Rick on October 15, 2014, 02:10:40 PM
Only one modem per home network.  Everything connected to that network uses the same modem. 
are you saying i can't connect the OBI to the second router, access point without the modem?

Rick

Refer back to my first answer. 

LeoKing

You can buy an inexpensive wireless bridge from Amazon.com or Newegg.com. Connect the OBi110 to the LAN port on the bridge and set up the bridge with the SSID and the password of the existing wireless on the main router.

Edit: Since you already have a 2nd router as a bridge, you can use it to connect the OBi110.

Rick

There is no wireless link needed.  If the two boxes are connected via coax, and the one has an ethernet port, simply plug the OBi into it and you're good to go.

drgeoff

Quote from: Rick on October 15, 2014, 05:27:44 PM
There is no wireless link needed.  If the two boxes are connected via coax, and the one has an ethernet port, simply plug the OBi into it and you're good to go.
Be sure that the OBi and the coax adaptor (and anything else) are plugged into LAN ports of the second router. The WAN port of that router should be left unused.

dom1

Hooked it up a few minutes ago. Worked like a charm! Thanks to all!