News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to give Obi100 Static IP?

Started by richheimlich, October 22, 2014, 02:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richheimlich

I just bought an Obi100 as a first step towards trying to save my decade-old service with a SIP providers whose features I love but whose reliance on the Linksys PAP2T was driving me to drink. I would be playing a lottery on callers being able to hear me when they call in and everyone would hear DTMF tones. This across three different ISP's, four different modems and three different top-shelf routers.

I figured I'd give this a shot before going entirely in a different direction. I'm set up and working but I am used to the PAP2T. Seems nothing is on the device itself and everything is done through this web interface (a bit scary as that means if they go down, so does my device I assume).

Anyway, I don't see any place to force an IP address for this device. Do I have to do it via my router?

Shale

If the web setup goes down, your OBi continues to work. In fact, you could set up the OBi with just the local interface and disable remote. But the OBiTalk remote setup is easier.

Static IP and mask can be set by the keys on the connected phone ***4-1. You can also set that up via the WAN settings on the web interface. I expect that could be confusing when you first make the change via the web page, because the IP you were just using is no longer available. But I expect it all gets sorted.

http://www.obihai.com/OBiDeviceAdminGuide has a lot of info. One tip is to search for * * * rather than *** when viewing that document.

azrobert

This is how I defined a static address:
System Management -> Network Setting
AddressingType: Static
IPAddress: 192.168.1.100
SubnetMask: 255.255.255.0
DefaultGateway: 192.168.1.1
DNSServer1: 192.168.1.1

If you configure your OBi via the web interface check:
System Management => Auto Provisioning

Under OBiTalk Provisioning:
Method must be Disabled.

richheimlich

Thanks guys! Great info. So far I'm really glad I bought this.

The first DHCP address it got was 192.168.1.160. If I go to that IP I get hit with a login prompt that says:

"The Server says: admin@OBi100"

What username and password is this looking for? I tried my account username and password with no luck.

I also tried using the phone to assign the static IP. I hit ***, then 4, then 1 and the voice prompted me to "Enter IP address, then pound." Great! So I entered "192168135#" (for example) and it continually tells me that's invalid no matter what number I put in.

azrobert: Where did you put those settings in? Not sure where "System Management" is. No such thing I see in Win7 or in the web interface.

drgeoff

azrobert

Quoteazrobert: Where did you put those settings in? Not sure where "System Management" is. No such thing I see in Win7 or in the web interface.
After you sign into the OBi100 locally, "System Management" is found on the left column of the page. Click on it then click "Network Setting".

It is found in the same place in OBiTalk via OBi Expert.

QuoteI also tried using the phone to assign the static IP. I hit ***, then 4, then 1 and the voice prompted me to "Enter IP address, then pound." Great! So I entered "192168135#" (for example) and it continually tells me that's invalid no matter what number I put in.
I never entered an IP address via the phone, but assume you enter it like this: "192*168*1*35#"

richheimlich

All good now. I used the MAC to force the IP and then, once I got access to the device (glad to see that instead of JUST a web interface) I also set it to static there.

drgeoff

Quote from: richheimlich on October 22, 2014, 11:34:25 PMI also tried using the phone to assign the static IP. I hit ***, then 4, then 1 and the voice prompted me to "Enter IP address, then pound." Great! So I entered "192168135#" (for example) and it continually tells me that's invalid no matter what number I put in.
192168135 is only 9 digits.  Without separators there are many ways those could be interpreted.

richheimlich

I think you miss the core point. I get that it's only 9 digits, but ran into the problem clearly when trying to enter it. Think about it. Go try it for yourself and don't hit Pound and you'll see the problem without having to commit to anything.

The problem was, how do you enter a period?

The prompt didn't provide guidance. Someone here assumed that using asterisks might work, but wasn't certain.

drgeoff

Quote from: richheimlich on October 24, 2014, 01:36:07 PM
I think you miss the core point. I get that it's only 9 digits, but ran into the problem clearly when trying to enter it. Think about it. Go try it for yourself and don't hit Pound and you'll see the problem without having to commit to anything.

The problem was, how do you enter a period?

The prompt didn't provide guidance. Someone here assumed that using asterisks might work, but wasn't certain.
No, you missed  the point that entering less than 12 digits was never going to work. A few seconds thought should have been enough to realise that there were only two possibilities:

1. Expand to 12 digits by inserting zeros as appropriate eg 192168001035.

2. Use some key to input the '.'. A standard phone has only 0-9, *and #. All the numerals are required and the # is used as a terminator.  That leaves only the *.

richheimlich

I totally followed your point and you were correct. However, when one is suddenly presented with a basic prompt the last thing you expect is to have to become Sherlock Holmes to traverse it. Simply saying, "Use Star between each number" would have worked.

Let's move on.

Shale

Quote from: richheimlich on October 25, 2014, 06:07:41 AM
Simply saying, "Use Star between each number" would have worked.
The last line of post #5 pretty much said that.

richheimlich

Okay people. Let's stop with the condescending commentary please.

1. Reply five was AFTER I had the issue.

2. As I pointed out, that same response makes it clear that he ASSUMES that's how it's done. That it is how it's done is NOT the same thing.

I made a mistake, came here and asked for help. I'm sorry I did so.

Shale

That is an odd reaction IMHO. I suggest you ask somebody you trust for an independent blind analysis of the thread as to whether posts were condescending or helpful. Also ask who was on the attack...

Reply 8 was after reply 5. ... "I'm sorry I did so." Sheesh.

dircom

Perhaps a dumb question, but I assigned all the devices in my home a static ip using my router
The title of this thread doesn't make sense to me
Could someone explain, why you would do this using the Obi?

Shale

Quote from: dircom on October 25, 2014, 09:17:32 AM
Perhaps a dumb question, but I assigned all the devices in my home a static ip using my router
The title of this thread doesn't make sense to me
Could someone explain, why you would do this using the Obi?
While these are not going to be common, I came up with these as possibilities:

You don't have administrative access to the router.
You don't have sole administrative access to the router, or you fear a software update or factory reset could break your router setup.
You have a VPN and you want the OBi to connect via the VPN.
You want to be able to swap in a new router and keep the same IP.
You want an IP outside of the DHCP range of addresses, and you are not sure that the router can do that.
You just like to do it that way.

Disclamer: yada yada