News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How To Call Forward to Cell Using Obi110 & 2 GV Accounts?

Started by EarlL, May 15, 2011, 11:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EarlL

I searched and found several topics on call forwarding but none seemed to help.  I have an Obi110.  Both SP1 & SP2 are assigned to separate GV accounts.  When a call comes in to the SP1 number, I would like to forward the call to a cell phone number.  Ideally using call forward after 2 rings (or even unconditional call forward).

I tried the expert config (I am no expert) and I tried entering the cell number (1xxxxxxxxxx) in the call forward after number of rings box.  Called in to SP1 number and after 4 rings went to GV voicemail.

I tried *72 from phone but just received a steady tone (and no prompt for number).

There is nothing connected to line port.

Do I need to somehow tell the Obi to call forward using the SP2 account to "dial out" (i.e. forward)?

Since I am limited in GV to using forwarding to cell number to one GV account, I figured this was a way to get the second GV account forward to the same cell (excluding setting up the cell number as a home or work number in the second GV account).

Thanks.

RonR

To forward an incoming call on SP1 only when the call is not answered on the OBi after two rings:

Voice Services -> SP1 -> CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable : (checked)

Voice Services -> SP1 -> CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber : (as appropriate)

Voice Services -> SP1 -> CallForwardOnNoAnswerRingCount : 2

If you want to forward ALL incoming calls after two rings, *62 + number + # will enable it and *63 will disable it.

Make sure you have updated to the latest firmware.

The Call History log should shed some light on what's actually happening (or not happening).

EarlL

Thanks.  I tried the settings in your response for the 2 ring set up and it worked.  I could have sworn that is what I tried initially earlier today, but I could not get the cell phone to ring.  Now, I thought it was because I didn't uncheck the Obitalk Settings box in the ring count option because it already had a "2" shaded out, but when I just tried it again with boxed unchecked and checked and it didn't seem to make a difference, both worked, but both times there was no ring on the Obi connected phone, it went right to the cell (I am ok with that, I will test again later).

The one weird thing is that after I called the GV # associated with the Obi (SP1) the cell began to ring as expected (ignoring the ring count), however, I was hoping the cell VM would pick up, but instead, the GV VM kicked in after the 4th or 5th ring.  It's probably not actually weird, it's probably because I don't know what is going on behind the scenes.  I can just make the cell and GV VM greetings that same and no one will be the wiser.

Thanks again!

RonR

Quote from: EarlL on May 15, 2011, 01:18:21 PMThe one weird thing is that after I called the GV # associated with the Obi (SP1) the cell began to ring as expected (ignoring the ring count), however, I was hoping the cell VM would pick up, but instead, the GV VM kicked in after the 4th or 5th ring.

Google Voice voicemail picks up 25 seconds from the beginning of the call.  This cannot be changed.  By the time the OBi has rung the OBi phone twice and then forwarded the call to your cell phone, you don't have much time to answer the cell phone.

Are you having Google Voice forward to your cell phone as well as the OBi forward to your cell phone after no answer on the second ring?  If so, you may want to think this through.

EarlL

Quote from: RonR on May 15, 2011, 01:34:02 PM

Are you having Google Voice forward to your cell phone as well as the OBi forward to your cell phone after no answer on the second ring?  If so, you may want to think this through.

We saw what happened last time I tried to think something through.   :)

No, that particular GV# is forwarded only to Google Chat (it was originally set forward to my Ooma fax number but that is unchecked now).  The Obi is set to forward to my wife's cell number.  

I will adjust the call forward on number of rings accordingly.

Thanks.

k6kbm

To forward an incoming call on SP1 only when the call is not answered on the OBi after two rings:

Voice Services -> SP1 -> CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable : (checked)

Voice Services -> SP1 -> CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber : SP2(1XXXXXXXXXX) X=your cell #

Voice Services -> SP1 -> CallForwardOnNoAnswerRingCount : 2

Voice Services -> SP2 -> CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable : (checked)

Voice Services -> SP2 -> CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber : SP1(1XXXXXXXXXX) X=your cell #

Voice Services -> SP2 -> CallForwardOnNoAnswerRingCount : 2

RonR

Just for info...

There's no problem forwarding a call back out on the same Google Voice trunk that it came in on.  Each Google Voice account can handle two sessions.

If you're worried about the possibility of the second session being in use, a better approach is to use Trunk Group 1 as both your PrimaryLine and your call forwarding trunk:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLINE : Trunk Group 1

Voice Services -> SPx -> CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber : TG1(1XXXXXXXXXX)

Trunk Group 1 is SP1,SP2 by default.

Using Trunk Group 1 gives you up to four sessions without having to be concerned about how they're currently being used.