News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cannot add device

Started by nmstough, November 04, 2014, 06:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmstough

I just got an Obi 200 device.  I tried to add it through the obitalk account.  I therefore tried "add device".  It said "trying to connect...".  Never could connect.  I also went to the local IP address on the router and I can see all the settings of the obi device there.  So it appears the device is functioning properly.  But cannot connect this via obitalk.  My intention is to use this with Google Voice.  I have all the accounts already set up.  But nothing works.  Is there a way to do this through the local IP? 

azrobert

It depends on your firmware level.
In a browser key the IP address of the OBi200 and hit Enter.
The default userid and password are "admin".
You will get a System Status page.
If the SoftwareVersion is Build 4350 or less you don't need OBiTalk.

azrobert

Change the following:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> SignalingProtocol: Google Voice
Voice Services -> SP1 Service > AuthUserName: GV_Userid@gmail.com   
Voice Services -> SP1 Service > AuthPassword: GV_Password

After you update a page click Submit at the bottom of the page.
After both pages are updated click reboot at the top of the page.

After the reboot click on Status, then System Status.
Under SP1 Service Status the Status should be Connected.
It will probably be Backing Off.
Post results

nmstough

OK, followed all those steps.  The software on the device is 4367.  Status is now connected.

But I thought that putting your gmail password into the device configuration was a security hole, which was avoided by using the Obitalk and logging into gmail method? 

SteveInWA

Quote from: nmstough on November 05, 2014, 12:46:33 PM
OK, followed all those steps.  The software on the device is 4367.  Status is now connected.

But I thought that putting your gmail password into the device configuration was a security hole, which was avoided by using the Obitalk and logging into gmail method?

This.  That is the main reason that Google told third-party companies to stop using Google customer's user IDs and passwords to gain direct access.  Obihai developed a new authentication method, using Google's approved OAUTH 2.0 protocol, to now access users' accounts without directly signing in with their password.

Don't use the local web page method to set up Google Voice (Chat) access.

Instead, troubleshoot the separate issue of why your device isn't being recognized by the portal; it's likely to cause other issues with using your OBi, so you might as well diagnose and fix it.  It could be a DNS or firewall issue, for example.  Also, if your router has a setting for SIP ALG, then DISable that setting.  You should not put your OBi in the DMZ, nor would you need to do this to solve the problem.

Personally, I'd do a paper-clip reset on the OBi device, then download the 4420 firmware from Obihai, access the OBi via the local web interface (username/password is admin/admin after a reset), upload the new firmware, then try again to access the portal.

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-0-1-4420.fw

nmstough

Thanks very much.  Its really scary that my gmail credentials might be compromised. 

I tried all these steps.  But still I am stuck at the following on the obitalk portal:
Add an OBi Device

• Please pick up the telephone handset, and dial **5 3563
  • You may hang-up when you hear the automated response.

Trying to connect to your device... (Timeout in 114 seconds)

----
When dialing the above, I get no response at all.  Certainly no automated response.  What can I do at this point? 

azrobert

Try a factory reset.
There is an access hole on the bottom of the OBi200.
It's a little larger than the vent holes.
Press the reset button using a paper clip.
Hold until the OBi200 starts to reboot.

Edit:
If you have the SIP ALG feature on your router, disable it.