News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Any cordless phones out there that allow long touch tones to be pressed?

Started by GC_convertee, May 15, 2011, 03:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GC_convertee

Hi
I have decent Panasonic cordless phones kx-tga939t
When I press and hold the buttons on the handset, the dtmf tone stays on as long as I press the button.
But when I listen on the other end (on a cellphone or something), it's only a short dtmf tone, no matter how long I hold down the panasonic buttons

So it seems that my cordless phone does really have press-and-hold-dtmf tones
1. Does anyone know of a dect cordless sys that has press and hold?

Thanks
G
GrandCentral in 2004, had Gizmo5 acct
Analog Fax working IB & OB...
efax acct revoked
faxzero.com (<=2 free/$2 for 3+pgs)
Linksys SPA-2102 ATA 2 Sipgate lines/free accts, $20 balance for OB faxes dialing
Obi110 2 GV accts No POTS/FXO
Panasonic kx-tga939t Dect Cordless -  Ans machine OFF

GC_convertee

Chirp, what other regular cordless phones are people using with obitalk
My panasonic phone doesn't seem to work on one of the dial in conf calls I have to attend for work everyday
But cellphone (att does) as does google mail chat client with keypad (but I need a headset connected to computer)
Thanks
G
efax acct revoked
Linksys SPA-2102 ATA 2 Sipgate lines/free accts, $20 balance for OB faxes dialing

RonR

I've been using a Vtech DS-6321 for several months with the OBi and haven't a single problem with it (other than a couple of short-term issues that were introduced into the OBi firmware and subsequently fixed).  I particularly like this unit as it has Bluetooth and pairs with my cell phone.

GC_convertee

Thanks RonR
Do you know if it outputs long dtmf tones (ie as long as ur holding the button down the tone is being emitted from the phone)
One way to tell is by calling another phone and listening on the other phone
Also I read that the VTech does not have a headset jack
I know it has bluetooth, but that's another conversion layer to sometimes not work and/or drop a call trying to transfer

The Panasonics are great phones, but it is deceptive, when you hold a numbered button down, it makes a continuous tone, but on the receiving end it's only approx 1/2 a second

Even the fancy Cisco IP phones at work sometimes have trouble transmitting DTMF (passcode for conf calls)
I think the conf call service is weak (dont know which it is), but I don't have control over that :(

I've seen some other IVR systems that don't pickup short DTMF tones as well

Thanks
G
efax acct revoked

RonR

Quote from: GC_convertee on July 23, 2011, 09:18:27 AM
Do you know if it outputs long dtmf tones (ie as long as ur holding the button down the tone is being emitted from the phone)

It does.

Quote from: GC_convertee on July 23, 2011, 09:18:27 AM
The Panasonics are great phones, ...

You might want to search the forums here for Panasonic.  For whatever reason, there's been a number of problems reported using them with the OBi.

GC_convertee

I just realized that this is a one line phone
I was looking for a 2-Line phone
We have 2 google voice numbers setup on the obi
This one seems like 2 lines, but maybe older
http://www.amazon.com/VTech-DS6151-Expandable-Answering-Additional/dp/B003CTI9FY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Also they both dont have a headset jack, bummer
efax acct revoked

RonR

The OBi supports only single-line telephone devices.  You cannot use the second line on a two-line telephone with the OBi.

jimates

Also they both dont have a headset jack, bummer

GC_Convertee,

Most of the newer phones do not have headset jacks because the handsets have speakerphone in them.

OBiSupport

Quote from: GC_convertee on May 15, 2011, 03:42:55 PM
When I press and hold the buttons on the handset, the dtmf tone stays on as long as I press the button.
But when I listen on the other end (on a cellphone or something), it's only a short dtmf tone, no matter how long I hold down the panasonic buttons

If you enabled "FixedDurationRFC2833DTMF" in your service setting, e.g., GV general setting in service provider 1 or 2, you will hear the short DTMF tone on the other end, your cellphone.

Standard DTMF tone duration requires at least 50 ms ON and 50 ms OFF. This "fixed duration" tone sent by OBi device is long enough to correctly transmit DTMF digits. If you have trouble to get digits through, and you are using GV service. Please try Gmail call phone service to call the same conference call number, and see if you can send digits without problem.

If problem still exists, plese contact us at support@obihai.com, state your OBi number, and we will surely look into this.

GC_convertee

I have not explicitly set that setting, just used the webportal

I got the The vtech phones and they do not seem to have the the LONG dtmf tone on the receiving end no matter how long you press the buttons

But, it is working for punching digits into the conf call number
efax acct revoked

OBiSupport

Are you also using OBi on the receiving side? if so, you can actually check the call status for the amount of DTMF digits received.

Could it be due to some level of attenuation on the RX DTMF tone?

GC_convertee

I meant to say LONG DTMF tone (as emitted from the vtech phone)
I was receiving the call on a regular cell (i)phone ATT
efax acct revoked

RonR

Quote from: GC_convertee on August 08, 2011, 11:04:17 AM
I meant to say LONG DTMF tone (as emitted from the vtech phone)
I was receiving the call on a regular cell (i)phone ATT

Log into your OBi at the IP address returned by dialing ***1 and verify that UseFixedDurationRFC2833DTMF is disabled:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile x -> General -> X_UseFixedDurationRFC2833DTMF : (unchecked)

With this option enabled, the OBi sends fixed duration DTMF of 150 ms regardless how long the digit has been pressed.