News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI100: outgoing only SIP configured as VG vs SP

Started by dhobi, November 08, 2014, 06:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhobi

I recently bought an OBI200 as a replacement for my OBI100 because I needed an extra SP. But I just read (late to the party, I know) that I could have used a VG instead for one of my outgoing only providers (one of the Dellmont many brands).
Could you please help me configure a VG, if possible?

My current config on the OBI100:
SP1: Google Voice
SP2: outgoing only Dellmont SIP for int'l calls
Need room for another in/out SIP (for work).

Target configuration:
SP1: Google Voice
SP2: in/out SIP (for work)
VG1: outgoing only Dellmont SIP for int'l calls

How do I get there please?

Also, in the current configuration I added a rule to the PHONE port OutboundCallRoute so that when a number that starts with 00 or 011 (replaced in the rule with 00 as that's what Dellmont requires) is dialed, the call is routed via SP2.
From doing some reading, I understand it's probably best to leave OutboundCallRoute alone and instead use the DigitMap for each SP and VG. I'm just not sure how. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

azrobert

There are different coding methods. I like to include only the rules that apply to a trunk in its DigitMap. This requires additional rules in the Phone Port DigitMap and OutboundCallRoute.

To setup a VG
Voice Services -> Gateways and TGs -> Voice Gateway 1
Name: Dellmont
AccessNumber: sp2(dellmont_proxy_name)
DigitMap: (00xx.)
AuthUserID: Dellmont_UserId
AuthPassword: Dellmont_PW

Physical Interfaces -> Phone Port -> DigitMap
Add after the beginning parenthesis: (Mvg1)|
It should look like this:
((Mvg1)|....... current rules.......)

Physical Interfaces -> Phone Port -> OutboundCallRoute
Add to the beginning:
{(Mvg1):vg1},

I wasn't sure how you wanted to handle 011.
If you want to replace 011 with 00 use VG1 DigitMap:
(00xx.|<011:00>xx.)

Now dial 00 or 011 prefix and they will both go out as 00 prefix.

Only the Phone Port DigitMap verifies the dialed number.
That is why I included (Mvg1) in the PP DigitMap.
(Mvg1) points to VG1's DigitMap

dhobi

Thank you very much. Some further questions below.

Quote from: azrobert on November 08, 2014, 09:22:01 PM
There are different coding methods. I like to include only the rules that apply to a trunk in its DigitMap. This requires additional rules in the Phone Port DigitMap and OutboundCallRoute.

To setup a VG
Voice Services -> Gateways and TGs -> Voice Gateway 1
Name: Dellmont
AccessNumber: sp2(dellmont_proxy_name)
DigitMap: (00xx.)
AuthUserID: Dellmont_UserId
AuthPassword: Dellmont_PW

What is the significance of sp2(...) above? Does it mess with the service assigned on SP2 in any way? Does SP2 need to be functional and enabled or just configured?

I also saw a reference that you need to have at least 1 SIP service configured for the VG to work. Is that still true? Is there a workaround if you have no SIP services configured?

Physical Interfaces -> Phone Port -> DigitMap
Add after the beginning parenthesis: (Mvg1)|
It should look like this:
((Mvg1)|....... current rules.......)

This one is technically a good idea to have for completeness but it seems that even with the default rules the numbers I'd be dialing will still verify.

Physical Interfaces -> Phone Port -> OutboundCallRoute
Add to the beginning:
{(Mvg1):vg1},

I wasn't sure how you wanted to handle 011.
If you want to replace 011 with 00 use VG1 DigitMap:
(00xx.|<011:00>xx.)

Now dial 00 or 011 prefix and they will both go out as 00 prefix.

Yes, exactly what I'm doing right now.

Only the Phone Port DigitMap verifies the dialed number.
That is why I included (Mvg1) in the PP DigitMap.
(Mvg1) points to VG1's DigitMap

I think for my simple use case it would be enough to simply add the (00xx.|<011:00>xx.):vg1 at the beginning of the OutboundCallRoute, just to keep changes to a minimum.

azrobert

With sp2(...) the VG call will route out SP2.
It does not mess with the trunk defined on SP2.
The SP (SP2 in this case) must be defined as SIP.
If a provider is not defined on SP2, a dummy trunk can be defined.
I did not include a dummy definition because I thought you were going to define an SIP provider.

If the dialed number is verified by the default DigitMap then you don't have to mess with the PP DigitMap or define a VG1 DigitMap. I didn't know if you modified the defaults.

Your OutboundCallRoute coding will work.

dhobi

Quote from: azrobert on November 09, 2014, 07:27:26 AM
With sp2(...) the VG call will route out SP2.
It does not mess with the trunk defined on SP2.
The SP (SP2 in this case) must be defined as SIP.
If a provider is not defined on SP2, a dummy trunk can be defined.
I did not include a dummy definition because I thought you were going to define an SIP provider.
Yes, I will have a real SIP on SP2, I was just curious now that I'm starting to do more "advanced" things with it. Dummy trunk -- how dummy? Does the server have to exist? Or can you simply put sip.example.com, configure it as SIP and done?

So the VG call will be routed out SP2. Assuming SP2 is a real SIP, will call waiting for example still work on it if I'm in the middle of a call on VG1 and a call comes in via SP2, will I hear the notification on my phone and be able to "Flash" between the 2 or even simply switch to the SP2 call as sometimes that's the more important call (work)?

If the dialed number is verified by the default DigitMap then you don't
have to mess with the PP DigitMap or define a VG1 DigitMap. I didn't know
if you modified the defaults. xx. is the only default rule that will match
00........ This will cause a 10 second delay unless you dial # at the end
of the number.

Ah the 10 sec. delay, forgot about that, but a 00xx. rule would still not help right as it says any number of digits at the end of the number, so it doesn't have any way of knowing when I'm done.
What I usually do is put the common numbers in the OBI speed dials (and those I store the full way, e.g. **200...), then on the actual phone I have a speed dial that simply reads "5#" or whatever speedial slot I'm using. I found this the fastest way to start the call, I don't need the phone to tone dial a full long number.
Now back to the 10 sec. delay ... if the number to be dialed comes from the OBI speed dial memory, does it still wait 10 sec. or in that case it knows exactly what the number is?
I suppose yet another alternative would be to end the stored number in the OBI speed dial with # so it makes the call right away.

azrobert

If SP2 is not defined, setup a dummy SIP definition like this:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServer : 127.0.0.1
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthUserName : (any userid)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_RegisterEnable : (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : B

I believe call waiting will work when on a VG call, but I have not tried it.

I played with speed dials a long time ago and my memory is failing with old age, so don't sue me if I'm wrong.
First, you don't have to dial **2 prefix with the added rule in the outbound route.
You don't have to add the extra rule if you don't mind dialing **2 prefix.

You can setup speed dials differently.
Defining a speed dial like 001234567890 will route the call to the PP DigitMap then the PP OutboundCallRoute and there will be a delay.  The same as if the number was dialed.

Defining a speed dial like sp2(001234567890) will immediately route the call out SP2.

You can add a rule to the DigitMap like: 00xx.S2
Now the delay will be 2 seconds.
If you pause for 2 seconds while dialing, the call will be routed prematurely.

You can add a rule for Australia like:
0061xxxxxxxxx
Now there will be no delay when calling Australia.

dhobi

Very good tips, thank you.

Is the 10 sec. delay configurable or built-in? Trying to see if I can change it globally as opposed to adding Sn to rules.

azrobert

Thank you for asking the question. I never looked for the timers.

On my OBi110 firmware build 2824 the answer is no.

On my OBi200 firmware build 4477 the answer is yes.
Physical Interfaces -> Phone1 Port
DigitMapLongTimer: 10
DigitMapShortTimer: 2

Edit:
The short timer is used when a dialed number matches a rule, but potentially can match another.
Like dialing 7 digits will match a 7 digit rule, but can also potentially match a 10 digit rule.

dhobi

QuoteDefining a speed dial like sp2(001234567890) will immediately route the call out SP2.

How do you set up a speedial for another OBI number in the format above? Is it ob(123456789) or ob123456789? I'm not having any luck with either format, but **9123456789 works.
The DigitMap for the OBITalk Service shows "(<ob>xxxxxxxxx|obxxxxxxxxx)"

azrobert

dhobi

Quote from: azrobert on November 09, 2014, 02:20:35 PM
pp(123456789)
or
pp(ob123456789)

Ah, thanks. Somehow I thought "pp" meant the POTS phone line. I guess that's "li".

dhobi

Excellent, I got the VG setup working.

Now, if I want to add something like **6 to select VG1 when I make a call, I assume I'd need to add to the PP OutboundCallRoute something like:
(00xx.|<011:00>xx.|**6xx.):vg1
Is that enough or do I also need to add something to the DigitMap? I'm not sure whether **6xx. passes the default verification rules.

And **5 is reserved, it cannot be used to select a trunk, correct?

azrobert

You need to add **6xx.| to the PP DigitMap to verify the number.
The outbound call route must remove the prefix.
(00xx.|<011:00>xx.|<**6:>xx.):vg1

You can't use **5