News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi1032 Questions

Started by XrayDoc88, November 11, 2014, 10:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XrayDoc88

I currently have an old Panasonic PBX system in my home that works well.  I pay for two phone lines.  I mainly use it for the ability to call station to station as a house intercom and also to keep a list of hundreds of speed dial numbers listed by name.  I also have speakerphones mounted at three entrance doors and I can talk to someone at those doors using the phone system.

1. Could multiple OBi1032 phones be used in a similar fashion without PBX software/hardware?
2. Would I use the 8 side buttons as the individual station buttons for room to room intercom?
3. If I had more than 8 phones, would I need to add a side car for extra intercom buttons?
4. Would the speed dial lists be stored individually on each phone, instead of in a central PBX like I currently have?
5. Is there an easy way to transfer an updated speed dial list from one phone to the others, or would I have to edit each phone separately every time a speed dial needed to be changed?
6. Are there any plans to offer speakerphones that could be mounted outside in the weather?

Thanks.  I'm new to VOIP and trying to decide if abandoning the Panasonic PBX will be an acceptable move to save money. 

WelshPaul

Quote from: XrayDoc88 on November 11, 2014, 10:50:07 PM1. Could multiple OBi1032 phones be used in a similar fashion without PBX software/hardware?
Simply put...Yes they could.

Quote from: XrayDoc88 on November 11, 2014, 10:50:07 PM2. Would I use the 8 side buttons as the individual station buttons for room to room intercom?
The side buttons (Programmable Keys) can indeed be configured for speed dial use. So you could set each one to speed dial the OBiTALK number of each phone. That would eliminate the need for any local or hosted PBX software/hardware.

Quote from: XrayDoc88 on November 11, 2014, 10:50:07 PM3. If I had more than 8 phones, would I need to add a side car for extra intercom buttons?
You can also use the line keys themselves as speed dials. So no you may not need a side car.

Quote from: XrayDoc88 on November 11, 2014, 10:50:07 PM4. Would the speed dial lists be stored individually on each phone, instead of in a central PBX like I currently have?
The speed dial list is stored on the phone itself.

Quote from: XrayDoc88 on November 11, 2014, 10:50:07 PM5. Is there an easy way to transfer an updated speed dial list from one phone to the others, or would I have to edit each phone separately every time a speed dial needed to be changed?
You can simply create an XML file with the list of speed dials. You can manually upload the XML file to each individual phone or you can configure the 1032 to grab the XML file remotely thus all you need to do is edit the XML file once.

Quote from: XrayDoc88 on November 11, 2014, 10:50:07 PM6. Are there any plans to offer speakerphones that could be mounted outside in the weather?
Not as far as I know.

You would obviously require a VoIP service to make and receive calls to the outside world. The OBi1032 can store 99 speed dials, using a PBX obviously expands your options.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

drgeoff

Quote from: WelshPaul on November 13, 2014, 01:45:56 AM
Quote from: XrayDoc88 on November 11, 2014, 10:50:07 PM4. Would the speed dial lists be stored individually on each phone, instead of in a central PBX like I currently have?
The speed dial list is stored on the phone itself.

Quote from: XrayDoc88 on November 11, 2014, 10:50:07 PM5. Is there an easy way to transfer an updated speed dial list from one phone to the others, or would I have to edit each phone separately every time a speed dial needed to be changed?
You can simply create an XML file with the list of speed dials. You can manually upload the XML file to each individual phone or you can configure the 1032 to grab the XML file remotely thus all you need to do is edit the XML file once.

While the above answers are true they are not the whole story.

If you register all the phones to one Obitalk account, your Dashboard can act as a common point where you manage a single speed-dial list. The entries there can be automatically distributed to all the phones.

If you want each phone or subset of phones to have different speed-dials you can set up separate Obitalk accounts. However each account requires a different email address.

WelshPaul

How could I forget about the portal???  :o

I am old school me, so used to configuring via a local GUI that the portal does not enter my head at times.  :-\
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

XrayDoc88

Thanks for the helpful replies.  How exactly do you view and scroll through a speed dial list on this phone?  Can it be done quickly, or do you have to advance through the list one name at a time with each push of a button?

drgeoff

Currently no fast scroll.  This has been previously brought to Obihai's attention and, it is hoped, will be attended to in a future firmware release.

giqcass

Quote from: XrayDoc88 on November 17, 2014, 05:11:41 PM
Thanks for the helpful replies.  How exactly do you view and scroll through a speed dial list on this phone?  Can it be done quickly, or do you have to advance through the list one name at a time with each push of a button?

As drgeoff said no fast scroll yet.   We hope to see that soon.  Until then there is a cool feature you may find useful when using the contact list.

Open the contacts.
Now you can jump to a letter by using the number pad. It's like text messaging on a phone without a keyboard.  Find the letter on the keypad that corresponds to the first letter of a contact.  Press it the corresponding number of times.  If it's the first letter press it once.  If it's the second letter press it twice.

EXAMPLE: A=2  B=22 C=222 D=3  E=33  F=333  ect..............
Long live our new ObiLords!