December 11, 2018, 03:36:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Connect Failed: No Response on multiple Google Voice / Obi 508 Devices  (Read 2764 times)
Jay-Jay

« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2018, 02:32:53 pm »

After diddling with the DNS changes, etc and not having it work I decided to go all out.

Steve,

If you read my post, just changing the DNS addresses on my router, nor changing them on the OBI through the web interface did NOT help. I had to go through the process of removing the OBI, doing a factory reset, and then adding it back and making the DNS changes. It was not hard to do.

And why in the heck would this not be advised? What harm is there in doing a factory reset and starting fresh?

-jj

drgeoff
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2018, 02:42:41 pm »

After diddling with the DNS changes, etc and not having it work I decided to go all out.

Steve,

If you read my post, just changing the DNS addresses on my router, nor changing them on the OBI through the web interface did NOT help. I had to go through the process of removing the OBI, doing a factory reset, and then adding it back and making the DNS changes. It was not hard to do.

And why in the heck would this not be advised? What harm is there in doing a factory reset and starting fresh?

-jj

Have you equated "nor advised" and "nor advisable"?  They have different meanings.
Jay-Jay

« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2018, 02:52:09 pm »

Talk to Steve before issuing a citation from the grammar police. He used it first. Smiley You are correct, there is a difference, though I think everyone reading these posts can figure out what is meant, either way. Hope I don't have any dangling participles or misplaced commas. I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight.

Nuff said for me. Enough wasted bandwidth.

-jj
drgeoff

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2018, 03:10:55 pm »

That's a typical ploy by someone trying to close off a debate when knowing to be on a losing wicket.

It is quite clear that the "advised" in your "And why in the heck would this not be advised?" was intended to have the meaning of "advisable".

Neither the fix posted by torchredraider nor SteveInWA's posts included resetting and starting again.  SteveInWA's comment "None of the other stuff was necessary, nor advised." was accurate.
SteveInWA

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2018, 04:38:28 pm »

That's a typical ploy by someone trying to close off a debate when knowing to be on a losing wicket.

It is quite clear that the "advised" in your "And why in the heck would this not be advised?" was intended to have the meaning of "advisable".

Neither the fix posted by torchredraider nor SteveInWA's posts included resetting and starting again.  SteveInWA's comment "None of the other stuff was necessary, nor advised." was accurate.

"nor advised" means:  people post "solutions" here that are either unnecessary or incorrect.  Then, other people read the post, and they take that "solution" as gospel, and then spread the gospel.  The result is wasted time and effort, by other people.  Some people make things worse, by following the unnecessary instruction, but screwing it up, and now they have two problems.  Therefor, I was pointing out that the only thing necessary to solve this problem was to change the DNS.  Doing other things may or may not hurt, but they are not, by themselves, the actual solution.

Don:  "My car won't start.  What should I do?"
Dave:  "Have you tried waving a rubber chicken over the starter?  I did that after I replaced my car battery, and now the car starts fine."

--Steve

Google Voice Forum Product Expert

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/voice
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: