News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Best service providers for certain features?

Started by markintheforum, November 15, 2014, 11:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markintheforum

Hi, I am new as per my previous post, where I explained some setup gotchas that killed me.  But here, I have a few questions for those who may know.  I set up obi with google voice and has a few limitations I'd like to overcome.

I am curious what people think about using ring.to vs google voice vs phonepower providers or even others.  I am looking for basic quality connections, 3 way calling, and a few other features.  With google voice in 1 day I see a couple of limitations that annoy me.  I'd also be willing to pay a bit to get a better provider for my relatively simply purposes, but not sure of advantages of others.  For now I am using obi202 as a second, office line until I am sure that it is completely "safe" to port my main phone to obi (whether to GV or another provider).

(1) The voice mail does playing back from phone does NOT list the number of the incoming call.  It says "called unknown" as the name.  What I really want is an option to get the incoming NUMBER read off as a default if name is not found (I guess in some google setup).

(2) I'd like to have different rings for incoming people whom I know vs whom I don't know.  I've have this currently (identaring or distinctive ring, it's been called) with my cable phone provider.

(3) Unlisted-to voice mails do not light up my indicator light or give me a stutter tone o my phine. Googling around the forum and outside it appears GV does not support this anymore with Obihai.

(4) *69 does not identify who called in last or before that, it simply calls back immediately... I miss that feature.

(5) On other plus side, the transcribe-voicemail-to-text feature in GV is kind of cool, never had that before...

Does anyone know if other providers offer/solve the first 4 items? Especially #2 and #3. 

(2) Dumber question: on obitalk.com, there is an option "call obi" at the top.  I wasn't sure if this is to call your own obi number, or another, but whatever I type in, it says "no gateway configured".   What is this supposed to do exactly and why am I getting that message?

(3) Finally, I've seen lots of stuff with weird configuration strings to do stuff to customize the unit's behavior.   Is there a manual that explains this? I'm not even sure how to get to those settings, let alone change them.   Is that under the "expert" section on obitalk when I log in?

I am not a total luddite but want some specific, simple features.  A more comprehensive introduction explaining what is and is not currently possible with the box would be great, even if the answer is "you can if the service provider provides it" so I know to check with them....  thanks.

drgeoff

HTML and PDF versions of the Obi admin guide are available in the Documents and Downloads page at obihai.com.