News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google voice does not support message waiting indicator anymore?

Started by markintheforum, November 16, 2014, 04:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markintheforum

Hi, I'm new with Obi202.  Got it to use with Google Voice, but I am very surprised that GV does not set visual message waiting indicator (LED on my phone) / stutter tone with voice mail.  The documentation that I've searched for from obihai online suggests indicates that it does, but some posts seem to indicate not this documentation is actually not correct anymore since Obi officially started supporting GV again...

Can someone confirm definitively (or reasonably so) that setting the message light on your phone anymore with Obi?  Every phone service I've ever had with voicemail supports this so this is a big disappointment to me.

Thanks.

Mango

This feature was removed in a recent firmware release.  Unfortunately, there is no way to downgrade your current firmware revision.

markintheforum

Thank you for the explanation / confirmation.  I guess I'll check out some other providers before I return this...

MLD100

Is there any plan to restore support for the message waiting indicator?   I view it as a core feature that should be supported.  I'm really not happy that it has gone away with no advanced warning.  My obitalk was working just fine and I would not have taken the upgrade if I had known this.
Thank you

zorlac

Quote from: MLD100 on January 28, 2015, 10:02:07 AM
Is there any plan to restore support for the message waiting indicator?   I view it as a core feature that should be supported.  I'm really not happy that it has gone away.
Know how you feel, the old obi firmware flashed a little green led on our kitchen phone when we had GV voicemail, I really miss that. :'( I put our GV #'s into speed dial slots so 3# will get me to my voicemail quick.

BigJim_McD

Quote from: Vestalink on February 27, 2015, 07:34:22 AM
Vestalink can fix your MWI issue for less than $2.50 a month with our current pricing by using our voicemail service. ......   

Vestalink,  You are spamming our OBiTalk forum with you sale pitches. 

I currently use Vestalink service and I'm happy with the service -BUT- if Vestalink keeps spamming this forum, I will seriously reconsider my use of your service when it comes time to renew for another two years..
BigJimMcD

Vestalink

This is not spam.  I am  trying to help users who need to have the MWI feature back.   If you created a product to get MWI back and posted on this forum would it be spam?
VoIP Phone Service from Vestalink - http://www.vestalink.com

BigJim_McD

Quote from: Vestalink on February 27, 2015, 10:31:02 AM
This is not spam.  I am  trying to help users who need to have the MWI feature back.   If you created a product to get MWI back and posted on this forum would it be spam?

Forum Members,  What is your opinion on this? 
BigJimMcD

lrosenman

He's posting the same thing over and over -> SPAM.

He should post ONCE with a pointer to a WWW page that explains what his product(s) / Pricing / etc are.

(IMO of course)

Ryan_Tilton

There are multiple threads going right now regarding this issue, I want to be apart of all of them.  Its not spam.  

lrosenman

post ONE thread (standalone) with ALL the details, and then point to it ONCE per thread.

I looked at the vestalink site and didn't see anything about this.

You look VERY desperate for customers. 

Ryan_Tilton

I am always trying to grow our customer base.  Business is all about discovering where there is a problem and fixing it for people.  I have information regarding the MWI issue on our main website.  I don't think Obihai has the ability to fix this issue using their new "Approved" method.

202Owner

Quote from: BigJim_McD on February 27, 2015, 11:17:11 AM

It's not spam.  It's harmless and relevant.  Greater community participation... users and suppliers... enriches the community experience.  Just ignore what does not interest you.

LTN1

Appears like desperation SPAM to me--even if it was unintentional.

Ryan_Tilton

Quote from: 202Owner on February 27, 2015, 01:03:33 PM

It's not spam.  It's harmless and relevant.  Greater community participation... users and suppliers... enriches the community experience.  Just ignore what does not interest you.

Thank you 202Owner, I completely agree and appreciate that. 

Taoman

Quote from: 202Owner on February 27, 2015, 01:03:33 PM
Forum Members,  What is your opinion on this?  

It's not spam.  It's harmless and relevant.  Greater community participation... users and suppliers... enriches the community experience.  Just ignore what does not interest you.

I have to agree. What is "spam" to one person may be useful information to someone else.

And let's not forget we've had other VoIP providers (Nitzan of FutureNine, Sam of CircleNet, etc) posting about their products/services in this forum.

202Owner

Be glad you have VoIP products and services and suppliers to choose from.  If you have a legitimate complaint, present it to the forum moderator/owner.  Unleashing and recruiting spam judgments from a 'moral majority' to pressure a participating community member is bad form.

SteveInWA

These posts have more Spam in them than the Monty Python Cafe's Spam, Spam, Spam, bacon and Spam, loverly Spam.  It's the very definition of Spam to post the same advertisement across multiple discussion threads in a forum, offering to "fix" something by instead buying a different service.

202Owner

The only annoying spam I see on this forum daily is the columns of repeating advertisements down the margins that cause each page to load slowly and to not fit in in a standard 1024 display width, causing the user to have to scroll horizontally to read this forum.  Spam and poor forum design... whine about something that matters.

Koby

For anyone that REALLY misses this feature, I would point out that it is possible to set up you own PBX on a Raspberry Pi for around $50 or maybe a bit more (cost of Raspberry Pi 2 + power supply) using the RasPBX software (pro tip: DON'T install the Incredible PBX addon mentioned on that page; you don't really need it and for most users it's useless bloatware).  Then you can loop your incoming Google Voice calls through the PBX as described in this article, which among other things allows you to use the internal Asterisk voicemail system, which will still provide MWI to your phones.

It's a bit of a convoluted solution just to get one feature back, but it is possible.  A far less expensive solution is to simply have Google Voice email you copies of all your voicemails.  If you have set up a separate Google account just for Google Voice and you don't normally check the Gmail account associated with that account, then what you can do is log into that Gmail account (NOT Google Voice, you want to be in Gmail but logged in under your Google Voice account) and go to settings and set up mail forwarding, so that any email that is sent to your Google Voice account gets automatically forwarded to the primary email account that you do check regularly.