News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Failed to add device

Started by Thanh, May 16, 2011, 09:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thanh

Hi,

Just purchased an Obihai.
  I got the # to add the device, say **5 7374
  I connected the power, the internet to the internet port on Obihai and the phone to the phone port on Obihai. 
  Yet, when I dial the # above, I got the automated message but the device is not connected with the message below.
  Note:  I do see the power light is flashing and also the internet is flashing on the Obihai when the phone is attempting to make connection.

Need you help to figure out what goes wrong

Thanks
Thanh

QBZappy

Thanh,

Hi,

Quote from: Thanh on May 16, 2011, 09:39:05 PM
  Yet, when I dial the # above, I got the automated message but the device is not connected with the message below.

What message are you getting. It is not clear from your post.

Quote from: Thanh on May 16, 2011, 09:39:05 PM
  I connected the power, the internet to the internet port on Obihai and the phone to the phone port on Obihai.

Do you mean you connect the network cable to the router, or directly to the modem? You can make it work by connecting to either, however you would want to connect to the router. Presss ***1 on the phone attached to the OBi and see if it gives you an ip address, which is part of your lan.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Thanh

Thanks for your response.
I just checked doing ***1 and it said that the IP address is not available,  DHCP is enabled.
I have the Obihai connected to a router.

I am able getting IP addresses via DHCP server on my PCs and wireless devices.
I configured the router to have 100 IP addresses from x.x.1.100 - x.x.1.199

So it looks like this device is not getting IP address from the DHCP server on my router for some reason
I am thinking the unit maybe bad.

RonR

Quote from: Thanh on May 17, 2011, 09:05:42 PM
I am thinking the unit maybe bad.

You might want to try the OBi on a different LAN that uses a different router before you decide that it's bad.

QBZappy

Thanh,

Don't give up too soon. You might try this to force an ip on the OBi. Go here:
System Management>Network Settings>Internet Settings>
AddressingType = Change to static
IPAddress = x.x.1.200 (Any other ip which will not overlap with DHCP range)
SubnetMask = your own
DefaultGateway = x.x.1.1 (or whatever)
DNSServer1 = 8.8.8.8 (seems to work)
DNSServer2 = 8.8.4.4 (Seems to work)

See this link for an image of the proposed settings for static ip for the OBi. Bottom of page.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=507.0 (Courtesy of our friends from Hong Kong forum section)

This should get you an IP on the OBi using the OBi web page.

If you prefer, you can also set up ip using the phone attached to the OBi. Look here.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=157.0
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

Quote from: QBZappy on May 17, 2011, 09:33:11 PM
If you prefer, you can also set up ip using the phone attached to the OBi.

QBZappy,

With DHCP not working and without an IP address, using the telephone connected to the PHONE Port is Thanh's only possible path to setting a static IP address.  Your first suggestion requires an IP address, so you have a chicken-and-egg problem.

There should be no reason for DHCP not working.  Setting a static IP address without finding the cause, even if it works, is just masking the problem.

Thanh

Thanks RonR.  That's exactly the point.  DHCP is there to make our lives easier.
So statically assign an IP address to the device is only masking the problem
Let me try on different LAN as you suggested first.  Probably go to my brother's house and try it out.

QBZappy

RonR, yes chicken or egg. Better to resolve the router issue.

Thanh

So I tried out the Obihai at my brother house.  It got an IP address which indicates the unit is not bad.

Took it home, try it again on my router --> still have the same problem
  ***1 said  "Basic Network - IP address is not available, DHCP is enabled"

Reset my Airlink101, AR680W, wireless N router to default factory -->  still have the same problem with Obihai
By default DHCP is enabled.
I can get an IP addresses via DHCP on my MAC and PC no problem, so that tells me the DHCP server is working properly.

At this point, I don't know what else I have to do.  I hate to swap out the router since it is still working fine for my labtops.  My brother router is a D-link router.

Do you know if there is any incompatibility issue between Obihai and Airlink101 router ?

Thanks
Thanh

QBZappy

Thanh,

I mentioned this before, and I understand that it may not be ideal, but you can still try setting up the OBi using the phone method. It's not even certain that it will work. This would be your Plan B. Pick an IP outside the router DHCP range. I have read on the forum several people using a static IP with the OBi. If it works, you will not need to swap routers and you can start enjoying the OBi within the next 10 minutes. Your other choices seem clear enough, change router, return the unit, or spend more time trying to figure out the router issue. Let us know what you decide. Good luck.

RonR

Quote from: Thanh on May 20, 2011, 12:07:59 AM
Reset my Airlink101, AR680W, wireless N router to default factory
Do you know if there is any incompatibility issue between Obihai and Airlink101 router ?

There is a known problem with anything other than the latest version of firmware for that router.

Update the router's firmware and hopefully it will work with the OBi.

Double-check that this is the correct version for your router:

http://airlink101.com/LegacyFW/AR680W/ar680w_v1_01_849a.bin