News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Choppy Calls on GV Receiving End

Started by LTN1, November 23, 2014, 01:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevKan

I believe the source of my choppy audio problems I previously reported in this thread may have been located.  After contacting my service provider, PhonePower, they initiated diagnostic and trace routines on my account.  It was from this they determined and documented that a Level 3 Server in Dallas, that I am routed through, was experiencing pack losses in excess of 55%.  Two days after contacting my ISP, and two emails to the ISP president later, I was finally contacted by a senior technician who accepted the documentation.  He is now pursuing the issue with Level 3 and is to inform me of the outcome.  I will post more later.    

tempo150101

I had the same problem the other day, but my issue was that I was downloading movies. Once the downloads stopped, the phone started working okay.

knightofmars

I was having this problem (albeit with AT&T).  I ended up buying a separate router with the thought that it was the modem/router hardware causing the issue.  Turns out it was.  After putting the new router in place my call quality instantly improved (my streaming video is better now too). I suspect it is the QoS (Quality of Service) tuning that the router is doing to prioritize the packets over the network.  Or it may just be beefier hardware in general.  Either way, it fixed the issue for me.

Here's the router model I purchased:
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C5-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B00JZFG6QS

Here's my network setup:
OLD SETUP
Modem/Router -> ObiHai200 -> Panasonic Phone

NEW SETUP
Modem/Router -> TP-LINK ARCHER C5 -> ObiHai200 -> Panasonic Phone

SteveInWA

The only way that change would be responsible for any improvement would be if you disabled the router function in the combo modem/router.  Otherwise, the original router would still be in the path, causing the problem.