News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

So How Do You Like RingTo?

Started by ceg3, November 24, 2014, 07:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceg3

I'm starting to feel around about RingTo service and I wonder what kind of experience users are having.  The first hurdle is getting Anveo E911, which I just signed up for last week to use with my GV setup.  I do see there is an option to restore an existing E911 service at sign up.  I am presuming that means you can sign up for RingTo and not have to buy a new E911 service if you already have Anveo E911, but of course that would be too easy, too accommodating to be true. ;D  That aside, I would like to know if anybody has good or bad things to say about RingTo.

johnrandolph

I like it. ;D

Actually, I am using it with GrooveIP and Ring.to's Android app, as I have an older Obi 202 which doesn't qualify for using it with Ring.to.

I have ported numbers to Ring.to and it was easier than all other providers that I have ported numbers in or out of.

They seem to be listening to their customers, so hopefully they will soon allow older Obi's to register an account.

I would still like them to drop the required E911 from Anveo.  Don't need it.

I like their online forums and Brad and Lauren have been very helpful.

Did I mention that everything's free!

rolandh

I've been a RingTo customer since buying my OBi 200 in July. At the time it looked as if Google Voice was on it's way out. Didn't turn out that way but I have no regrets going with RingTo. Call quality has been generally excellent.

Like John, I found the porting process to be painless. The service is rapidly evolving and they are most definitely listening to their customers. In addition to using the service on my OBi, I'm beta testing both their iOS and Android mobile apps. I think you'll like the direction those apps are going in. It will take a while for them to implement all the features requested by customers, some of which are currently offered by providers such as Anveo, Callcentric and VoIP.ms. That said, it's hard to beat free and I think they stack up quite nicely with Google Voice.

Regarding the 911 requirement. RingTo is a service of Bandwidth.com, a regulated telephone company (CLEC). Given the regulatory environment they operate in, they made a business decision to require 911 service with an OBi. Most service providers are not related to CLECs. As a result, some are more flexible regarding 911. Callcentric is related to a CLEC (Telengy) and like RingTo requires 911 unless you tell them you're using their services outside the U.S. My understanding is that the choice of Anveo as the partner providing 911 was Obihai's.

Regarding you're existing 911 service with Anveo, I'm not sure it will work with RingTo. As registered on my OBi, the service reads as Anveo E911 for RingTo. The for RingTo part may be important. Seemingly, if that's the case, opening a ticket with Anveo ought to be able to get things sorted out.

One of the best ways to get a better feel for RingTo is to visit community.ring.to.

zorlac

It's OK but I think GV is much better.
Free porting of a Verizon POTS # was done smoothly in 5 days.
Pay very close attention when setting up the ANVEO 911 service about the type of building, their interface sucks & you can't edit your choice!
Disable SIP-ALG on your router or RingTo can do strange stuff.

ceg3

Quote from: zorlac on November 24, 2014, 12:19:13 PM
Pay very close attention when setting up the ANVEO 911 service about the type of building, their interface sucks & you can't edit your choice!
Thanks for that, but I might have good news about changing your Anveo E911 location.  I just set up a new account last week and it came back apartment.  Once you log into your dashboard go to Account Preferences and then click on E911/EmergencyCalling and a box will open to edit.  I let out a cuss word or two before I found that last week.

ceg3

I just tried to port my unlocked GV number to RingTo to check it out and it would not accept my brand new Anveo E911 setup.  I tried several things, but it never would get further than saying I don't have the right service connected or words to that effect.  I guess I'll have pay for a new account if I want the service.  I just relocked my GV number and the only saving grace is that if you pay the 3.00 to unlock it, change your mind and re-lock it you don't have to pay the 3.00 again, even to unlock it again to port.

giqcass

Quote from: ceg3 on November 24, 2014, 07:00:55 AM
I'm starting to feel around about RingTo service and I wonder what kind of experience users are having.
The basic functions seem to work well.  The Ring.to app needs work but as a beta tester I can say I'm seeing improvements come fast.  There will be a feature announcement soon. In my opinion Google Voice is currently more full featured but Ring.to is catching up quickly.

Quote from: ceg3 on November 24, 2014, 12:42:19 PM
I just tried to port my unlocked GV number to RingTo to check it out and it would not accept my brand new Anveo E911 setup. 
I would open a ticket with ObiHai and ask about this issue.

Quote from: johnrandolph on November 24, 2014, 08:23:33 AM
They seem to be listening to their customers, so hopefully they will soon allow older Obi's to register an account.

They are listening and have recently said they are planning to support older Obi devices.  No actual timeline yet.
Long live our new ObiLords!

zorlac

My father tells me his RingTo service on an obi200 had my sister calling him from a cell phone 7 times with no ringing at his house then on the 8th time the call was completed???

If my parents could have stood the loss of their 50yr old telephone # I'da put them on GV in a heartbeat, RT leaves something to be desired IMO.
I was really hoping that turning off SIP-ALG on their router would have cured the RT quirks but apparently not so.  :-\

ceg3

Thanks for the heads up zorlac.  I'm starting to feel I am lucky to have not been able to port to RT.  I am still hoping good ole GV will add features, such as MWI being added back.  SteveInWA has recommended being diligent in reporting poor phone calls to Google, as they do pay attention and will work to make changes to make for better calling.

zorlac

I sent an email to RT support with a description of the problem so I'll see where that goes.

Well I'm impressed! They're right on it.

RingTo Support Team via uservoice.com
If the issue started today, we had a calling services were intermittent until noon Eastern. If this is an ongoing issue, can you please tell us the "from" number that called you 8 times?

zorlac

I still have "no rings" so I received this email after reporting the problem.

We set the Obi devices to communicate with our servers on UDP port 9060. It is possible that you may have a router that is closing the connection between your Obi and RingTo. I've just updated your provisioning profile to use TCP port 9060. For the new config to take effect, you'll need to delete the Obi RingTo config from the SP slot in Obitalk. Wait a few minutes, then re-provision RingTo.

I followed the directions & now ONLY Anveo 911 service is configured RingTo is DEAD!

Register Failed: Server Not Reachable

So since you're asking how I like RingTo......I DON'T

ceg3

You are really making me think the phone gods were looking after me when my attempt to connect to RingTo failed. Like all impulses, once it passes you can't remember what was so interesting about it in the first place. ;D