News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Soft Phone in the My Obi Endponts Area of the OBiTALK Dashboard

Started by ShermanObi, May 18, 2011, 02:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShermanObi

The Soft Phone (which can be renamed to whatever you like) is provided for free, with every OBiTALK registered user account.  It cannot be deleted.

The OBi Soft Phone account and associated 290 xxx xxx number, is for you to use with the OBiON Android, OBiON iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and OBiAPP for PC.  With these "soft" OBi endpoints you can make calls to other OBi endpoints by calling the party's OBi No. associated with their OBi device or soft phone client.

When you download any of the OBi soft clients and log-in with your OBiTALK username + pw, you will be able to bridge calls from these apps to your OBi device(s), and those devices of people inside of whose Circle of Trust you belong.  You can either ring the far end OBi connect to the OBi attendant, then speak with the party on the attached phone or make a new call using any of the services configured on the device.  

Also, you can use the soft phone with an OBi device acting as the direct dial voice service gateway.  Just choose one of the OBi devices in the drop down list in the Soft Phone's configuration and then dial from the app just like you would if it were a regular cell phone (or PC soft client).  The call will automatically route out the chosen device using the device's Primary Line to Call Out service, e.g. Google Voice, a SIP service like Callcentric or the analog LINE port.

If you would like to give friends and family access to services on your OBi via the OBiON apps or OBiAPP for PC products, all you have to do is invite them to your OBiTALK Circle of Trust, using the "Circle of Trust – Requests and Invitations" tool in the OBiTALK portal.  Once the accept your invitation, they will be able to use their OBi hardware and soft phone clients to make calls using services on your OBi devices.

TheHoaryHound

Can you help me to understand how calling from a Softphone endpoint (my Android cell) works?

When I initiate a call from my Android/ObiOn, does the call actually physically route back to the Obi110  at my home, go through the box, and then route back out on one the Obi110 ports (for example, the GV account)?

If that's the case, then will my voice connection quality be limited by my home internet connection speed?

Also, is there a way to have ObiOn call directly out via GV, without routing back to my home Obi110?

Some clarification on this would be much appreciated!!

RonR

Quote from: TheHoaryHound on February 29, 2012, 10:55:01 AM
When I initiate a call from my Android/ObiOn, does the call actually physically route back to the Obi110  at my home, go through the box, and then route back out on one the Obi110 ports (for example, the GV account)?

Yes.

If that's the case, then will my voice connection quality be limited by my home internet connection speed?

Yes.

Also, is there a way to have ObiOn call directly out via GV, without routing back to my home Obi110?

No.

Wrangler65

Is this information obsolete?
Can I still use the soft phone from a Windows PC or Android?

A friend has a phone plugged in to his Obi200 which is registered to his Obitalk.com account but has no Google Voice or any other SIP services.
I have a phone plugged in to my Obi202 which is registered to my Obitalk.com account but has no Google Voice or any other SIP services.

Currently, I can call my friend from my phone with the **9 number or with speed dial.

If I am not near my Obi202, can I call my friend from an Android or Windows PC? The Call obi button at the top of the obitalk.com website appears to be for this purpose, but it doesn't work.

Can I call the phone plugged in to my own Obi202 from an Android or Windows PC? The Call obi button at the top of the obitalk.com website appears to be for this purpose, but it doesn't work.

drgeoff

The information is not obsolete and the softphone facility still works. However the clients are no longer available to download. The subforum which dealt with softphone issues and had instructions for use was also removed some years ago but see https://web.archive.org/web/20150321231913/http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php#1

I have had the PC version working within the last two or three years on Windows 10.  I have attached it below.  Note that it is really only a SIP-Obitalk converter and you need to have a SIP softphone too.

The Android app still works on a sufficiently old version of Android. I know that 4.2.2 is OK and 7.0 is not.