News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID too many phones on OBI100?

Started by AKSMITH, November 27, 2014, 08:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKSMITH

Hi
I think I am overloading my home setup and need help with a solution.
I have an OBI100.
My home has a Panasonic DECT 6 with 6 handsets.
I also have 2 separate phones plugged into the house wiring.

When i was on a POTS land line, all devices would receive Caller ID.

Now that I have switched to the OBI 100, there doesn't seem to be enough power to receive Caller ID to all devices.

I have the ability to run the RJ11 cable to the house wiring where all 8 devices will receive and make calls, but Caller ID is only passed to the 2 stand alone phones and not the Panasonic 6.

If I run the RJ11 cable directly to the Panasonic 6, they all receive the Caller ID but now I am missing the 2 other stand alone devices.

I tried using a splitter with one cable going to the Panasonics and the other to the house wiring but it didn't work.

I am guessing that there is not enough power with the OBI100 to send Caller ID to all 8 devices.

Can anyone suggest a solution?
I am wondering if the OBI110 that has 2 RJ11 ports can be set to run using the same telephone number on both, which would presumably be enough power.

I do want to have 8 handsets. The Panasonic Dect 6 is restricted to only 6 handsets, but I see that VTECH allows up to 8. I would rather not have to but 8 new handsets.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Rick

You don't have 8 handsets hooked to the OBi.  You have three.  The OBi supplies the information to the DECT base station, that you HAVE to plug into the OBi for it to function. It then supplies information to the six handsets, and it makes those handsets ring.  Not do your handsets have any way to hook to RJ11 cabling...

Three handsets is not an issue.  The issue is that you don't have things hooked up properly.

An OBi 100 has a port to hook into the internet, and another port to hook into a phone.  Or more than one phone (via a splitter).  Or the wall jack IF you disconnect the outside line feed from the wall jack so no power can come in and ruin the OBi 100. 

So, if you have two phones plugged into the house wiring, and the OBi is plugged into Panasonic, then if the wired phones work you clearly still have POTs service. 

So something is not being explained properly as far as your hookup, or you two wired phones aren't hooked to anything when plugged into the wall.

Please explain things a bit clearer.

AKSMITH

Hi Rick
Yes you are right, the Panasonic base station is one device (that wirelessly connects 6 handsets) so only 3 actual devices.

When I disconnected the old POTS service, i removed the outside feed to my internal wiring.
It is now set that the line out from the OBI100 goes into a wall jack that feeds the whole house.
The 3 devices are plugged into other jacks on the internal wiring and all can receive and make calls, but the Caller ID is no longer received on any of the Panasonic handsets (like they used to before with the POTS). But Caller ID IS passed onto the other 2 devices so i know it's working.

Also, if I just plug the lineout from the OBI100 directly into the Panasonic, then I get all 6 handsets working perfectly WITH Caller Id, but now the other 2 devices are not in the loop.

I am wondering if perhaps increasing the voltage in the settings would help, but im not sure which one i should actually change.

Andrew

azrobert

Do the Panasonic phones work plugged into the house wiring without the other 2 phones connected? If yes then connect the other phones one at a time to see which one causes the problem.

edit:
Try a different cable from the OBi100 to the house wiring.

AKSMITH

Hi azrobert
Thanks for the troubleshooting tip.
I'm kicking myself for not thinking of that.

I went to disconnnect the other 2 phones and found they both had DSL filters from when i had DSL.
( i have switched to Cable now)
I removed the filters and had someone call me and i added the phones (sans filter) one at a time.
All seems to be working now, so thank you again.

I am still wondering though, should I tweak my OBI100 power settings any higher?
If so, do you know which settings I should adjust?

For example... in the Web Settings, under "Ringer" there is "Ringvoltage" set at 70, with an option to set it as high as 82. Would any tweaks like that help with a higher load?

MurrayB

I would suggest leaving the ringer voltage alone. The factory setting is plenty to drive the ringer load that you have.

I was driving an old 1A2 key system plus a single line phone with mechanical bell plus a Panasonic Dect 6 and the Obi was loafing.

drgeoff

Quote from: AKSMITH on November 27, 2014, 11:43:03 AM
I went to disconnnect the other 2 phones and found they both had DSL filters from when i had DSL.
( i have switched to Cable now)
I removed the filters and had someone call me and i added the phones (sans filter) one at a time.
All seems to be working now, so thank you again.
Proper ADSL filters properly connected should not cause CallerID to not work.