News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Two lines on OBI202 -- CallCentric 911 service

Started by Lyle, December 03, 2014, 06:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyle

Hi,

As a newbie, these forums have been extremely helpful.  I have been able to get my OBI202 set up with Google Voice for outgoing calls and CallCentric for incoming calls (to enable CID w/ names and Google Voice call screening).  So thanks to all the Obi experts!

I want to set up an OBI202 for my parents – and my question revolves around CallCentric's service.  Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck getting my questions answered with their customer service (or maybe I'm just not knowledgable enough to understand what they're telling me); so, I thought I would try the forums, here.  My parents have two lines in their house (one for personal, one for business).  They will have a similar setup to mine -- that is, two Google Voice numbers which will be used for outgoing calls, and those Google Voice numbers forwarding to CallCentric (I presume two separate numbers) for incoming calls.  However, my parents will require 911 service, so that adds a bit of a wrinkle:  I want to ensure that should my parents make a call to 911, 911 receives a number that will ring the phone on which my parents originally called.  So, if they called on the business line, 911 should receive a number which will ring the business line.  Ditto for the personal line.  (It would also be acceptable if a call from 911 rang both lines simultaneously.)

CallCentric keeps trying to steer me toward creating a second extension for a single phone number.  But I don't think that will work for my setup with Google Voice.  GV needs two separate CC numbers to forward to, because calls to the GV business number should ring ONLY the business line, and calls to the GV personal number should ring ONLY the personal line.  (Except in the case of 911 calling – as I mentioned, 911 ringing both lines would also be acceptable.)

Also, CallCentric tells me that calls from 911 will always be directed to the default extension (100).  So that precludes me from using a single number with two extensions (which I don't think would work for my setup, anyway).  On the other hand, when I add a separate, second number to my account, I don't see any default extensions set up for it – there are only extension options for the first number I added to my account.  This would indicate to me that even if I have two numbers on the same account, calls from 911 are always going to go to the default extension on the first number.

So, is the only way to accomplish what I need, here, to set up two accounts on CallCentric – one for the business line and one for the personal line?  Or am I missing a way to set this up with a single CallCentric account?  (A single account would be preferable, since two accounts would double the monthly 911 service fee.)

SteveInWA

I'm not sure I understand why you are focused on receiving calls FROM 911, vs. the usual scenario, calling TO 911. Are you worried about the 911 operator being able to call back the person who placed the call, in case the call is disconnected?  If so, then the foolproof way to guarantee this would be to set up two separate Callcentric accounts. 

Regarding extensions, by default, your CC account doesn't have any extensions, until you set them up.  Each extension is a separate SIP number, which can be registered independently from other extensions.  Then, inbound call behavior can (and should) be then further defined by setting up "call treatments".  The call treatments tell CC how to select the various extensions to ring, depending on the conditions you select.

For example, if DID number 1 is called, then ring extensions 100, 103, and 105.  If DID number 2 is called, ring extensions  100, 102 and 104.

In this scenario, extension 100 would ring for all calls (including 911 call-backs), but the other 4 extensions would only ring if their respective DID numbers were called.

I wouldn't try to use extensions and call treatments to attempt to steer calls FROM 911.

Lyle

Yes, you got it right -- I want to ensure that the 911 operator is able to return a call if the call is disconnected.  I want the 911 operator to receive the proper address and phone number.  (The address obviously isn't a problem since both lines are at the same physical address; so I was just left to figure out the phone number issue.)  It sounds like you answered my original question, so thanks so much!

With regard to extensions, my experience with CC is that ext 100 is default.  I didn't create it and I can't delete it; it was in my account when I signed up for my free DID number.  However, when I signed up for a second DID, there was no default extension, and I didn't see any option to create one for that second number.  CC said that only one "hidden" 911 DID is created per account, and that "hidden" number rings the default extension -- so I presume they only allow extensions to be created on the first number you sign up for (otherwise you'd have multiple default extensions).

A follow-up question, if you'd be so kind:  Let's say for a moment that I don't care about the callback number that 911 receives.  Could I otherwise accomplish what I want (two separate lines:  one business, one personal) with two extensions on one CC number?  In other words:  can I create a call treatment based on Caller ID that would send all calls forwarded from my business GV number to ext. 100 (and only ext. 100) and all calls forwarded from my personal GV number to ext 101 (and only ext. 101)?  (Yet another way of asking this:  for incoming calls, will CC "see" the Caller ID of my GV number or the Caller ID that GV is passing through, i.e. the caller's Caller ID?)

azrobert

This is how to setup the Call Treatments:

Login to your Callcentric account.
Click Call Treatments
Click Add a new Call Treatment
Send to Extension is the default
From the drop down menu select 100
On the right side of the page click This Number under Called Number
From the drop down menu select the business CC number
Click Save

Create another Call Treatment for personal CC number routed to extension 101.

SteveInWA

It can be mind-bendingly confusing at first, but extensions are not tied to DIDs.  They're tied to your 1777xxxxxxx Callcentric account number, which is also your SIP user ID.  So, an account has a default extension 100, and you can create a total of 19 more extensions, if I understand their math.

An extension represents an individual SIP user ID/password combination, that can be registered on an ATA or softphone, to place and receive calls. 

For outbound calls, you can select which of your various DIDs or verified other phone numbers to use as the outbound caller ID.

Inbound calls are made either via PSTN to one of your DID numbers, or via SIP to your account numbers. 

Call treatments are used to define the handling of inbound calls:  route them to one or more extensions, or send them to voicemail, or send them to a disconnected number recording, etc.

For example:

"Send all calls from 1-888-<spamcaller> to the disconnected call recording"

"Send all calls made to my DID 121355551212 to extensions 100 and 101 with simultaneous ringing, or in sequence"

and so forth.

That's the big picture.  Robert posted the specific two treatments to direct the calls to two separate extensions. 

You can get as creative as you wish with treatments, in any combination, as long as they don't create some sort of loop or invalid conditions.  Click the "normalize priority" link on the treatments list page, to ensure they are processed in the correct order when a call comes in.  For example, all my treatments to block certain spam callers come first, then the treatments to define default forwarding and simulring behavior are at the bottom.

Lyle

Wow, that is excellent information, Steve -- I think I'm starting to understand!  Thanks yet again!

So, Robert (thank you!) gave directions for using two separate DID numbers, and using the "Called Number" parameter to route calls to the appropriate Extension/SIP.  That sounds like it would accomplish it just fine, but just to be sure I am completely understanding this:  rather than setting up two DIDs on one CC account, would the following work, as well?

• The CC account has a single DID, with two extensions:  100 (default) and 101.
  • Extension 100 is assigned to line 1 on the Obi for incoming calls, and extension 101 is assigned to line 2 on the OBI for incoming calls.
  • Both Google Voice numbers (personal and business) are set to forward to the single CC DID number.
  • I create two call treatments in CC based on the "Call coming from Caller ID" parameter:  any calls coming from the personal Google Voice number are sent to ext. 100.  Any calls coming from the business Google Voice number are sent to ext. 101.

That all seems logical to me based on what you've taught me -- but that last bullet is where I'm still unclear.  I don't understand if CC will "see" the Caller ID of a call forwarded from Google Voice as the Google Voice number (which will make the above scenario work) or as the number of the person who initiated the call (in which case, the above scenario would not work, because those call treatments would be useless.)

SteveInWA

Quote from: Lyle on December 04, 2014, 01:31:32 AM
Wow, that is excellent information, Steve -- I think I'm starting to understand!  Thanks yet again!

So, Robert (thank you!) gave directions for using two separate DID numbers, and using the "Called Number" parameter to route calls to the appropriate Extension/SIP.  That sounds like it would accomplish it just fine, but just to be sure I am completely understanding this:  rather than setting up two DIDs on one CC account, would the following work, as well?

• The CC account has a single DID, with two extensions:  100 (default) and 101.
  • Extension 100 is assigned to line 1 on the Obi for incoming calls, and extension 101 is assigned to line 2 on the OBI for incoming calls.
  • Both Google Voice numbers (personal and business) are set to forward to the single CC DID number.To be precise, you should have said "One Google Voice number forwards to one CC DID number, and the other GV number forwards to the other CC DID number"
  • I create two call treatments in CC based on the "Call coming from Caller ID" parameter:  any calls coming from the personal Google Voice number are sent to ext. 100.  Any calls coming from the business Google Voice number are sent to ext. 101.

Yes, that's exactly right.  And, outbound calls to 911 will simply work, because they are using your CC account, regardless of the caller ID / DID used to place the call.

That all seems logical to me based on what you've taught me -- but that last bullet is where I'm still unclear.  I don't understand if CC will "see" the Caller ID of a call forwarded from Google Voice as the Google Voice number (which will make the above scenario work) or as the number of the person who initiated the call (in which case, the above scenario would not work, because those call treatments would be useless.)

The CC call treatment setting uses the caller ID of the CC DID being called, not the caller ID of the number of the caller, regardless of whether it is a direct or forwarded call.  Imagine you have two baskets:  one is labeled "apples" and the other is labeled "oranges".  You have a rule:  all apples are given to Jane, and all oranges are given to John.  It doesn't matter if a Granny Smith or Fuji or Gala apple is put into the apple basket -- Jane gets them all, because that's the rule.

Lyle

I think we're talking past each other on this one:  I understand that using two DIDs on one account would work.  But for my own edification, I was trying to see whether I could accomplish the same setup with a single DID number (third bullet) by using call treatments based on the Caller ID of the caller (4th bullet).

You said that CC treatments use "the Caller ID of the CC DID being called" -- which is true if I use the "Called number" criterion, as Robert suggested (arrow 'A' in the attached image).  What I was suggesting, on the other hand, was using the "Call coming from Caller ID" criterion (arrow 'B' in the attached image).  That option appears to give me the option of routing calls based on the caller's Caller ID -- but given that I have GV in the mix, I don't understand whether CC will receive the Caller ID of the person who initiated the call, or the Caller ID of the Google Voice number forwarding the call.

So, let's say I have my setup with one DID and two extensions as I laid out in my bullet points.  Jane (CID: 111-111-1111) has a hot deal on some apples and calls my business GV number (222-222-2222), which is forwarded to my one CallCentric number (333-333-3333).  I have a call treatment at CC that says "Send a call coming from 222-222-2222 to extension 101" (which is registered to line 2 on my OBI).  Will Jane's call ring line 2?  Or will the treatment fail in this situation, because CC sees the call as coming from 111-111-1111?

SteveInWA

Oh, I see what you're saying now, sorry.

Yes, you can make that work.  Your question is what phone number (caller ID) CC will "see" for the inbound call, because that will determine if the call treatment will work or not.

The answer involves a setting on your Google Voice account.  GV lets you decide if forwarded calls display the original caller's number, or your GV number.  The latter choice is useful for your scenario.  Of course, the trade-off is that you won't see the calling party's number, but if you can live with that, then it will work.

The setting is here:  https://www.google.com/voice#callsettings

I just assumed you were asking about a two-DID solution based on your previous discussion and Robert's answer, and I didn't carefully read your new proposed scenario.  Frankly, I would rather have two different DIDs for the flexibility of having two numbers (business and personal), and then you don't need to do the "use my GV caller ID" technique.  I have a total of 4 DIDs on my one CC account -- two paid local numbers, and two free NY numbers, and call treatments and extensions to route them to various phones.

Lyle

Aha!  That makes perfect sense.  And I agree, going with multiple DID numbers is the better method so that I can see the caller's Caller ID.  (After all, Caller ID is one of the reasons why I went to CC in the first place!)

Well, Steve, it's been a pleasure.  You have been extremely helpful, and I have learned a lot.  I really feel like I have my head wrapped around the basics, now.  THANK YOU!

SteveInWA

Quote from: Lyle on December 04, 2014, 05:11:52 AM
Aha!  That makes perfect sense.  And I agree, going with multiple DID numbers is the better method so that I can see the caller's Caller ID.  (After all, Caller ID is one of the reasons why I went to CC in the first place!)

Well, Steve, it's been a pleasure.  You have been extremely helpful, and I have learned a lot.  I really feel like I have my head wrapped around the basics, now.  THANK YOU!

That's great!  If you need GV-specific help, be sure to check out the Google Voice help forum -- the link is in my signature block below.