News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi no longer ringing with Google Voice

Started by RobertLMitchell, December 04, 2014, 11:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertLMitchell

Over the last week I've begun to have problems receiving calls on the Obi100 by way of my Google Voice (GV) number. When people call Hangouts rings on the desktop and on my Android Hangouts app, but the phone attached to the Obi does not ring. This started with one person having a problem. I could call the GV number and it would ring. Now no calls ring through. What's going on? I have two Obi devices and I hate to discard them and go back to Vonage. I have reconfigured the device for Google Voice, checked my GV settings, and used a different phone to test the handset ringer. Those aren't the problem. Please help!

lrosenman

if you look at the google voice settings, is Google Voice CHAT set as a forwarding phone?

If you look at the call history on the obi's local web interface, are you seeing the call?

If you look at google voice history, what do you see if anything?

RobertLMitchell

Google Voice is configured to forward to Google Chat in settings.

I don't see a call history option in Obi's web interface. Am I missing something?

Google Voice call history shows all of the incoming calls that did not ring the Obi-attached phone. All of those incoming calls did ring on the Android phone with Hangouts and in the Hangouts portion of the Chrome browser on my desktop.

lrosenman

It's on the local devices web server, under status.

I.E. NOT obitalk.com

RobertLMitchell

I'm sorry IRosenman, I'm not following.

If it's not on Obitalk.com, where do I go to find the local devices web server on Obi's Web interface?

Thanks,

Rob

lrosenman

You go to the obi's local IP address, on your local network.

will tell you what it is.

http://<that address>

then login with username admin, and whatever you've set the "Webpage Admin Password"
to on the device configuration screen in ObiTalk.

Then on the left side, under status, is the call history.

SteveInWA

Hi:

Google Hangouts works entirely independently of the Google Chat protocol used with OBi devices.  Hangouts will ring on any/all devices running the software, as long as you're logged into your Google account on those devices.

Chat, on the other hand, is more limited.  If you're logged onto your Google/Gmail/GV account on your PC, and that PC was the most recent client to communicate with the Chat server, your OBi 1x0 device may not ring.  OBi 20x devices do support simultaneous ringing, but not 1x0 devices.

You can avoid this issue by creating a new, dedicated Google account to host the GV phone number.  You can then use the number transfer procedure to move your existing GV number over to the new account:

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/3527591?hl=en&ref_topic=1708124

After changing GV accounts, go through the OBiTALK web portal page procedure to change your OBi's GV configuration, to use the new account.