News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Changing google voice numbers in SP1 fails

Started by karog, December 16, 2014, 11:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karog

I have an obi110 running 1.3.0 (Build: 2872) with firmware upgraded a few weeks ago for the new google voice OAUTH. I configured one of my google voice numbers to SP1 and that worked. Later I needed to change SP1 to a different google voice number. I deleted the SP1 configuration in the OBiTalk portal and then initiated a new GV configuration on SP1. It correctly verified with the different google voice account owning the new number and all appeared well.

However, the SP1 configuration did not really change. It was still configured for the original GV number. This was verified by calling out on SP1 (**1) and observing the callerID to be the original number.

To be complete, I typically do configuration via the obi110 web interface. But I also made sure that in the web interface for SP1 I had the correct username/password for the new google voice account and that didn't seem to matter.

To correct this problem I had to remove the obi110 from my obitalk account, reset it to factory settings, readd it to obitalk configuring the new number. This worked. I had also backed up my settings and was able to reload them.

SteveInWA

The local web interface information for the GV account is ignored, and irrelevant.  The OAUTH process exchanges secure access tokens with the device, and the GV password is not stored on the device.  Whatever you have in those fields is stale at this point.

Your issue may have been caused by still being logged into the first GV account on your web browser, and the browser's session cookies or permanent cookies were still pointing to the other (wrong) account.

The correct (and easy) way to change GV accounts registered to a SP is to simply run through the configuration again, and the portal will actually display your logged-in Google accounts, and ask you which account to use on your OBi.

karog

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 16, 2014, 11:28:09 AM
Your issue may have been caused by still being logged into the first GV account on your web browser, and the browser's session cookies or permanent cookies were still pointing to the other (wrong) account.
When configuring and it asks you to verify the google account, it shows you which one if you are already logged in. It also gives you the option to switch to another account. I was quite aware of this and am absolutely sure I chose the desired account.

So though your guess makes sense, it wasn't the case for me. In fact, after I discovered the failure and before I went through deleting the device, I tried one more time to remove the old gv config and add the new one. Again I was very careful and again it failed. I tried this second time because I didn't want to go through the longer process unless necessary and to make sure that I had done it right the first time.

I wouldn't have reported the error if I wasn't pretty darned sure.

SteveInWA

In that case, your device was probably still configured with the old Google Chat direct login credentials, as you described, and that was conflicting with the new authentication procedure.  Doing the factory reset wiped that out and now you won't see that error again.

karog

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 16, 2014, 11:43:49 AM
In that case, your device was probably still configured with the old Google Chat direct login credentials, as you described, and that was conflicting with the new authentication procedure.  Doing the factory reset wiped that out and now you won't see that error again.

Nope. I had changed the Chat credentials in the OBi110 web interface to the new account as well. I had done that the first time I tried the switch and I observed that they stayed that way as I was trying to diagnose the problem. As a software developer for more than 40 years I have learned to be quite careful. There may have been something else I missed but if so it is very far from obvious.

zorlac

Have you tried ***8 and then start over from scratch?