News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New setup with a 202....GV problems....

Started by skymoose, December 16, 2014, 04:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skymoose

I did some searches through the forum and didn't get the answers I was looking for, so here goes.

Google voice

1. Do you need a separate email address for each phone number?

2. Do you register the device after you have the numbers or can it be registered and the numbers added later?

3. I understand "chat" needs to be activated, when, before, after or ?

I'm porting 1 number to GV with the prepaid sim trick and want to get another number from GV.

I tried to get a number, found one I liked, selected it and continued, it said it was doing something and then gave a pink bar and said error but didn't say what it was. At this point I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance.

SteveInWA

Quote from: skymoose on December 16, 2014, 04:43:35 PM
I did some searches through the forum and didn't get the answers I was looking for, so here goes.

Google voice

1. Do you need a separate email address for each phone number?  Yes.

2. Do you register the device after you have the numbers or can it be registered and the numbers added later? I'm not sure what you mean by "Register"?  Warranty registration?  Adding the device to the OBiTALK web portal?  if the latter, then you will add your device to the portal by following the procedure shown on the portal.  Next, you will set up the device's service providers.  The device can host four service providers, in any combination of Google Voice or SIP provider(s).

3. I understand "chat" needs to be activated, when, before, after or ?  Read my complete instructions here:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

I'm porting 1 number to GV with the prepaid sim trick and want to get another number from GV.  You need to this in a specific order:  FIRST, get a new number from GV, and get it fully set up and working for inbound and outbound calls.  THEN click the "Get a Voice number" link again, and this time, say you want to use your own mobile number, and then select the option to port it in.

I tried to get a number, found one I liked, selected it and continued, it said it was doing something and then gave a pink bar and said error but didn't say what it was. At this point I'm stuck.  This is an issue in the Google Voice system.  Google is manually fixing these as appropriate.  Please post your issue in this thread, and we'll try to get it fixed for you:  https://productforums.google.com/d/topic/voice/eMKXjRdIWTs/discussion

Thanks in advance.

If you have more questions that are specific to using Google Voice, then I recommend that you post over in the Google Voice help forum.  See the link in my signature below.  If you have issues that are OBi specific, then post here.  Also, you're asking some really basic questions.  I recommend that you review OBi's FAQs here on their website, to walk you through setup and basic troubleshooting.

skymoose

Thanks for the info. I'm coming from an Ooma, this is a whole new can of worms.

--John