News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100 not working right - newbie needs help.

Started by wilbur, December 17, 2014, 02:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilbur

Hi - I installed my Obitalk 100 4 days ago.
Everything seems to be working correctly except when I receive or make a call
my voice is 'garbled'. I can hear the other person clear as a bell, but they can't make out what I'm saying.
I called my cellphone & even though I knew what I said, I cannot understand my own message.
Obi help pages mention opendns, so I stopped using it in my router.
Didn't help.
They also mention SIP ALG router setting.
I tried to find that in my router, but I'm not sure if it's there or not.
Also, something about router qos settings.
I was previously using a Nettalk Duo & I had no problems with it using opendns & leaving qos settings alone(in their default state).
I'm using a Belkin router with Tomato firmware
I have rarely messed with the Tomato settings, and it has been working fine
for 2+ years.
Even though I managed to install the firmware on the router I'm not very network savvy, so any help you could give me would really be
appreciated.
thanks.
oops, forgot to mention I'm using GV.

drgeoff

Dial **9 222 222 222. That's the OBi echo test and doesn't go anywhere near Google Voice. Is your voice clear or garbled?

wilbur

Echo test works fine & my voice is very clear.

wilbur

thanks, Jackson, for the tip.
I was really hoping someone in this forum could help.

lhm.

Jackson

Quote from: wilbur on December 19, 2014, 04:12:39 PM

Usually many would chime in.

Try this:

QuoteSwitching your OBi's Ethernet ports to 100 mb/s full duplex:
1. Dial *** 0
2. Enter option 27 and press #
3. Press 1 to set a new value
4. Enter a value of 1 and press #
5. Press 1 to confirm/save
6. Hang up
7. Wait for the OBi to reboot

How to verify the current setting of the OBi's ethernet ports 10 or 100 mb/s full duplex:
1. Dial *** 0
2. Enter option 27 and press #

At this point the OBiMAN will read back the current value:
0= 10 mb/s
1= 100 mb/s

Maybe try opening up some ports in your router:

QuoteAllow Outgoing:
TCP Ports: 6800, 5222, 5223
UDP Ports: 5060, 5061, 10000 to 11000, 16600 to 16998, 19305
Allow Incoming on UDP Port: 10000

zorlac

I have Comcast throttling my modem to only 3Mb cause I'm cheap & VOIP works fine.
A 100Mb connection from an obi box to the router is WAY overkill IMO.

This is a repost from SteveInWA.

You can troubleshoot this by using the VoIP simulator test on this website.

Select your location and use the G.711 codec, which is the most demanding of a quality internet connection. The test will simulate an actual end-to-end VoIP conversation, and will show you a MOS score that reflects factors such as jitter, latency and drop-outs, in addition to raw speed. This is the only valid test of an internet connection's suitability for VoIP -- sites like speedtest.net can't do this. If your score is below 4.0, you will need to beat on your internet provider to fix their crappy service. If your score is 4.0 or higher, and you continue to have problems, there is a small chance you have defective network hardware or cables, but more likely, it's PP's fault.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Jackson on December 19, 2014, 05:59:36 PM
Quote from: wilbur on December 19, 2014, 04:12:39 PM

Usually many would chime in.

These things start out sounding so simple, so "vanilla"...and then I read:

I'm using a Belkin router with Tomato firmware
I have rarely messed with the Tomato settings, and it has been working fine for 2+ years.
Even though I managed to install the firmware on the router I'm not very network savvy, so any help you could give me would really be appreciated.

and, then I picture 5 pages of network troubleshooting posts.

RE:  the 100Mbps full duplex setting:  It's not that 10Mbps isn't sufficient under ordinary circumstances (sorry for the double negative).  I haven't had to mess with it personally, but I believe it dates back some years ago to a firmware bug that was causing call quality issues if the box wasn't forced to full-duplex via this setting.  I dunno if it's relevant any more.

Mango

Quote from: lhm. on December 19, 2014, 04:19:28 PMFind that SIP ALG setting and disable it.
He's using Google Voice, which uses XMPP, not SIP.

Quote from: Jackson on December 19, 2014, 05:59:36 PMMaybe try opening up some ports in your router:
He has a Tomato router, so all ports are open by default.  Also, blocked ports would typically manifest as one-way or no audio, not garbled audio.  If some of the audio arrives, then the port is open.

To Wilbur:

Poor outgoing audio quality on both incoming and outgoing calls is 99% of the time due to some other device on your LAN using too much upload bandwidth.  You can test for this by disabling wireless on your router, and unplugging all wired devices (except your OBi) and making a test call.  If the symptoms do not appear, the problem can be solved permanently by setting up QoS.

If your NetTalk Duo and the Echo test always work properly, it is possible that you're the 1%.  By any chance were all the test calls you made in the same area?  If you make a long distance call, does the problem still occur?  It is theoretically possible that Google Voice's routing to your town has problems, however the odds of this happening are fairly remote.

Either the problem will go away with no other devices connected to the internet, OR the VoIP simulator test will show poor results, OR the problem will not appear when you make a long distance call.  I can't think of anything else that would cause these symptoms.

wilbur

thanks for all the replies. was working over the weekend, so too busy to respond.
Mango - when I disable wireless on router & disconnect all other devices except obi100, do I need to reboot router 1st?
and do I need to power cycle the modem?
do I need to reboot obi100?
thanks again.

Mango

No need to reboot anything, for this particular test.  The point is to make absolutely sure no other device on your network (including your neighbours) are using your network.  Whether or not the symptoms remain will help us narrow down the problem.

wilbur

mango - just made a call to my cell phone that's in another room in my home & left a message.
only devices online were obi100 & my router (unhooked this computer before making the call).
my message was still choppy & broken up like before.
I should also note that one of those previous calls made a few days ago was a long distance call - Az. to Md.
now what?

Mango

Next thing to do is run the VoIP simulator test that Zorlac / SteveInWA posted earlier (if you have not already done so).

http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php

wilbur

thanks mango - have to install java 1st, have not used it in a while.

wilbur

ok - I just ran that voip test using G.711 codec.
I'm in So.Az. so I used L.A., Ca. server.
here are the results:

Detail for Test #6438
Summary
This report refers to a connection test carried out by IP address 67.1.110.199 on 22 Dec 2014 17:20:38 GMT-08:00.

Upstream jitter     0.0 ms
Downstream jitter     0.1 ms
Upstream packet loss     0.0 %
Downstream packet loss     0.0 %
Upstream packet order     100.0 %
Downstream packet order     100.0 %
Packet discards     0.0 %
MOS     4.1
REGISTER ms     - ms
INVITE ms     - ms
BYE ms     - ms
Test    Voice-over-IP

zorlac

Those #'s look good.
I guess you could try bypassing your router & hook the obi directly to your modem.
Obviously not a solution, but just for a test.