News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

using cell phone CID for outbound calls.

Started by jackNYC, December 18, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackNYC

First let me thank all the patient responders on this forum. It's such an intriguing topic, like legal hacking of the once sacred phone network.
My Issue/Question/Plan:
I've successfully ported my mobile number to GV, used GV and Hangouts on an Android handset with good integration and then even ported that number back to an ATT sim pre-paid account. Two reasons for going backwards one i just wasn't completely happy with the calling experience of GV and secondly I want to use BlackBerry and it looked like a messy situation to make it work with that OS.

SO, what i'd love to do is make outbound calls from an OBi but have it use my mobile CID as the outbound CID so people recognize my number. I could use a GV for inbound or whatever, the inbound i'm not so concerned about. Any ideas or thoughts if this or another idea would work without doing anything illegal or so complicated beyond my basic skill level?
Thanks so much in advance for any help.
Jack

azrobert

You need to get an account with a provider that allows spoofing.
If you are not a heavy user I recommend CircleNet.
They are a Pay as You Go provider and their domestic rates are approx between $.003 and $.005 per minute.
Their holiday sale will credit new users with $5, good for approx 1000 minutes.
http://www.circlenet.us/drupal7/

jackNYC

That's great info. It would not be heavy usage. Is setting up spoofing an advanced task? I get the basics but i'm no power user for sure.

azrobert

When you log into your account there is an option to add callerid.
Just enter your callerid and click "Add New Callerid".
That's it.

You can even have a 2nd outbound callerid.
You have to send them an email requesting a sub-account with the callerid.
They will set this up and send to an email with the credentials of the sub-account.
They are a fairly new company and are still adding new features.
Hopefully, they will automate this procedure in the future.

Here is the config setup:
http://www.circlenet.us/drupal7/?q=node/15

OBi setup is at the bottom of the page.
If you have GV on SP1, setup CircleNet on SP2.
You then need to change the Phone Port Primary Line to "SP2 Service".

There basic account is for outbound only.
If you want to use them for inbound you need to purchase a DID.
There is also a per minute charge.

Edit:
After you change the callerid it takes a few minutes for their servers to get updated.

azrobert

If you leave the Primary Route at "SP1 Service" calls that don't need your cell's CID will be routed to GV on SP1. If you want your cell's CID then dial the number with prefix "**2" to route calls to CircleNet. You can also setup a list of outbound phone numbers you want routed to CircleNet, so you don't need the prefix. This way the 1000 free minutes will last a long time.

The "**2" prefix is the default, but you can change the prefix to almost anything you want. I use a single digit.

jackNYC

:) :)
Spot on results. I can't thank you enough for understanding my issue and giving me the perfect solution.
All my best,
Jack