News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

FYI - Ring.to only lets you have one SP on an Obi Device

Started by Usetheforceobiwan, December 23, 2014, 10:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usetheforceobiwan

Went to add Ring.to to an Obi200, signed up for E911 then added one RT DID as an SP which went fine.  Tried to provision another SP with another RT DID I have and it would not accept a second as I got this message as a pop-up at the top of the dashboard:  "This device already has RingTo configured. Delete the configuration to reprovision". 

I had been under the understanding that you could have two separate RT DID's on one Obi but never saw concrete proof.  Well now I (and you) know, you can only have one.

rolandh

For what it's worth, you can have multiple DIDs in a single RingTo account. All DIDs in your RingTo account will ring your OBi on a single SP. That said, outbound caller ID will show only the default outbound number configured in your RingTo account. Default outbound number can be changed via RingTo's website or mobile app, however, there is no way to do so via the OBi that I'm aware of.

If you have multiple RingTo accounts and wish to consolidate, so that your DIDs are in a single account RingTo (while not encouraging it as it's a manual process for them) has done so upon request.

Usetheforceobiwan

In hind site,  a strategy to know which of the RT DID's a call came in on might have been getting a couple CallCentric free NY DIDs and forwarding the RT DID 's to them.  I could then have assigned separate CC extensions to separate Obi SP's.  CC free DID's still cost $1.50 per month (or $.75 cents each DID) for mandatory E911 service so that would be more than the cost of the Anveo E911 and CC charges by the minute for outgoing.  So the CC option would be more expensive and kinda defeats the whole point of the low cost RT DID.

rolandh

Funny you should mention that. Using RingTo to forward to free Callcentric DIDs is exactly what I do. Callcentric on SP1 and SP2 to receive free calls with terrific call screening features. RingTo on SP3 for free outbound calls to the U.S. and Canada. Anveo on SP4 due to mandatory E911 requirement. Add in a paygo account with CircleNet! on a voice gateway for ridiculously cheap outbound international calling. For me, a nearly perfect telephony mashup.

I say nearly perfect because I'd like to avoid the redundant 911 charges. It appears that Callcentric will take your word for it that your using their services outside the U.S. thus avoiding paying them for 911 service. To save $18 a year it wasn't worth doing so to me. To get around not being able to select the outbound RingTo caller ID on the fly via my OBi, I use their iOS app (which can do so) for outbound calling when I need to use a CID other than the default set in my RingTo account. Android app is in beta and coming soon.