May 26, 2018, 08:45:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]
  Print  
Author Topic: Number porting to GV - my experience  (Read 3835241 times)
Pedro675

« Reply #420 on: May 16, 2018, 02:39:38 am »

Thought I'd update my GV/Obi installation and extend thanks for the help. I'm looking to save $55 per month on my home phone bill.

I finally set up the Obi200 with GV voice. Works great, just like a regular phone. Right now we have two phone numbers, the GV and the original number with the telcom. One phone is still receiving calls on the old number. I arranged the old number phone on a separate circuit so there is no power to the Obi device. Once the number porting is complete I'll disconnect at the NID and run a splitter from the OBi device phone port - one wire to the portable phone and one wire to the house wiring. That will give me all phones on GV.

I now have to port my home phone number to GV. I borrowed a friend's old cell phone and will get a 30 day plan with AT&T to test reception at the house, then have them port my home phone number to the cell phone. After that port that home number from AT&T to GV.

Is it advisable to wait some time after porting my home number to AT&T before porting it to GV. Like once it's ported and working on the cell phone can I immediately port to GV?
Pedro675

« Reply #421 on: May 16, 2018, 08:52:57 am »

I have just activated my mobile phone with AT&T. Unfortunately, as I feared, the reception at my house is terrible. Virtually none in the house but some outside - go figure on a 4g phone. This area has always been a dead spot, but I thought with 4g it would be better.

I have paid for a 30 day plan and will need to port my home phone to this cell phone then port it to GV. I can go to a friend's house where hopefully the signal is better. What I want to know is how long I have to wait for a return phone call on this cell from GV to complete the port.

Can someone chime in here to help. If it's only a few minutes then I can do it at my friends.

Thanks 
SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #422 on: May 16, 2018, 10:31:52 am »

Porting land lines takes longer and has more steps than porting from one mobile carrier to another mobile carrier.

It's best to wait several days, preferably a week, after porting a land line number to a mobile carrier, before subsequently porting to Google Voice.  Make sure that both inbound and outbound calling and text messaging work on the mobile phone, before starting the port to Google Voice.  In theory, you should only need to wait until these things start working, but many of the porting problems we see on the Google Voice forum are caused by "churning" ports too rapidly, before the new routing information propagates out to all the carriers.

Instructions:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667#xferin

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]
  Print  

Jump to: