News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

My OBI100 can not Connected in China

Started by lrh6677525, December 27, 2014, 10:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lrh6677525

Hi
   I have OBI 100 use in China Guangdon, I try confirm gv to OBI 100, but it can not connected to OBI 100,just show Connecting to 173.194.72.125. somebody can help me? Thanks.

SteveInWA

Google Voice service is not available from China (by government restriction).  You'll have to try using some other service provider with your OBi.

lrh6677525

I have US google voice number and account, I living in US, just go back China and bring the OBI 100, but my US GV can not connect to OBI 100, I guess the OBI 100 box is blocked by the router, my network is China Mobile.thanks for your reply.

SteveInWA

That's correct:  you cannot connect to the Google Voice service while in China -- it is blocked by the Great Firewall of China.  It's not an OBi issue or a Google issue; it's a Chinese government issue.

lrh6677525

It had nothing to do with GV.  It was simply that the Obi was unable to be reached from the server.  I discovered the "self troubleshooting" link and followed that.  It said

1) Dial ***6 and update firmware if available.  I did that and there was an update available, but updating did not solve the problem.

2) Dial ***1 to obtain the IP address of the Obi (it speaks the IPv4 into your ear).

2a) Use a browser to connect to this IP and you will get a web page.

WRONG!  You will be prompted for a login and password, which is not given by the troubleshooting guide.  I guessed a few times and got it: "admin" and "admin".  That got me in.

2b) Set the Obi's DNS to 4.2.2.2 (a public DNS server).

2c) Reboot.

I guess this VoIP stuff isn't exactly "just plug it in and go".  I mean, they could config the DNS in the factory for you, but they don't.  That means your DHCP has to serve the device a DNS that will work for it, and apparently that didn't happen.

SteveInWA

The OBi device, like most other internet-connected devices, defaults to DHCP addressing and to getting the DNS from the router to which it is attached.  You were presumably using a Chinese DNS, and you changed it to a US DNS.

Regarding making calls from China:  I'm not pulling this out of my <orifice>.  See:

https://support.google.com/chat/answer/1267644?hl=en

lrh6677525

I've heard a lot of people can use the OBI box in China. I think just some China network operators has blocked the OBI box by firewall.

Jasonnobody

My family have been using obi100 for quite a while in Sichuan. My experience back one month ago and even earlier was that, as others said, it really depends on your Internet service provider. So it may become to work if you switch to another provider.

However starting from sometime in December, that obi100 stoped to register with GV and I saw the same message as OP posted. My guess is that this is related to the recent report of blocking gmail in China. It was about the same time. If it's the case, this is beyond your service provider, GV, and OBI.

As a result, we now only use obitalk network to make connections, which is not quite stable as GV previously.

You can of course set up some SIP on your obi100, but again this depends upon your ISP and your router. It may or may not work.

SteveInWA

Right.  And, that's why Google doesn't support calling from China.  It might work for some period of time on some internet service provider, but it is like playing the game "whack a mole", with the people that run the Great Firewall of China.

CindyGoodwin

I've been seeking help from the internet about VPN services. But my friend gave me this link http://www.sunvpn.net/. Works perfectly. I can now access restricted sites.

Shiguang

So, through VPN, you can access the restricted sites, including GV, and make phone call through a  computer, but not Obi100.  With VPN, can I make phone calls through Hangout on my cell phone?