News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice & Obi

Started by CarvinAbuser, December 29, 2014, 05:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarvinAbuser

I setup GV and Obi accounts.  I can't figure out how to create a GV number and link it to my Obi account.  The Obi tutorial shows that the GV number needs to be verified, (GV calls the number and I enter a code), but how can I receive the call if the number isn't linked to my Obi account?  Any assistance would be appreciated.

zorlac

You need a gmail account first, then you apply for a phone number with that email address on the google website.
When that's all done register your obi on the obihai website with your gmail address.

CarvinAbuser

Thanks, I understand, but GV wants a forwarding number, where does that come from?

azrobert

GV requires you to have another phone number like a cell phone, VOIP number or a land line.

CarvinAbuser

In this video, she adds and verifies a forwarding number. How do I obtain this number?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOHJsNTdl5Q

LTN1

Quote from: CarvinAbuser on December 29, 2014, 08:37:18 PM
In this video, she adds and verifies a forwarding number. How do I obtain this number?

Like azrobert said:

GV (service) requires you to have another phone number like a cell phone, VOIP number or a land line.

But once you add that number as a forwarding number, you can uncheck that forwarding number and just use Google chat and the Obi device.

SteveInWA

Basic concept:  Google Voice is not designed to be a free, standalone telephone company.  It's an inbound call forwarding system.  The service requires that you have some other, working telephone service, either a land line or cell phone, to which your GV calls will be forwarded.  You must have this number available when before you can request a GV number from Google.  This forwarding number must not have been used previously to create a different GV account, or it will be banned.  This is to prevent spammers, stalkers and scammers from creating multiple GV accounts.  The OBi device will act as another forwarding destination.

In that video, which was poorly explained by the way, the woman had a Skype phone number already set up.  She used her Skype number as the forwarding number.

Refer to the official help documentation on the Google Voice website, for more information on using the service:

https://support.google.com/voice/#topic=1707989

Obihai also has excellent troubleshooting and FAQs, here:  http://www.obihai.com/faq

azrobert

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 29, 2014, 09:29:31 PM
This forwarding number must not have been used previously to create a different GV account, or it will be banned. 

Numbers defined as MOBILE can only be defined in one GV account. Unless something has changed, numbers defined as HOME can be defined in 2 GV accounts.

SteveInWA

Quote from: azrobert on December 29, 2014, 09:53:11 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on December 29, 2014, 09:29:31 PM
This forwarding number must not have been used previously to create a different GV account, or it will be banned.

Numbers defined as MOBILE can only be defined in one GV account. Unless something has changed, numbers defined as HOME can be defined in 2 GV accounts.

Robert, nope, that is not what I meant.  You are confusing adding a forwarding phone later, to an existing account, vs. having a unique forwarding phone to set up a new account.

When setting up a new account and requesting a Google Voice phone number, you must start off with a previously-unused forwarding phone, for the exact reason I explained.  Once you do have an account set up, you can assign the same non-mobile number to two accounts as a forwarding phone.

Those are two different issues.  When requesting a GV number, the limitation is an anti-abuse measure.  When adding a forwarding number to an existing account, the issue is that the text message forwarding technology used by GV can only associate a mobile phone with one GV number.  This is due to the "shadow" numbers assigned by GV to text messages.  The shadow numbers are shared from a pool, and need to be associated with one, and only one GV account, so GV knows where to direct the messages.

We used to ignore users who said they weren't being allowed to set up a GV account, and got a vague pink or yellow-highlighted "oops" or "sorry" message.  They're being banned for this reason.  We're now working with Google engineering to manually reset these users' accounts, while Google works to come up with a better solution that balances abuse protection with the ability for users to select a different forwarding number rather than just get banned.

See this thread for the hundreds of users in this situation:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/voice/eMKXjRdIWTs%5B1-25-false%5D

azrobert

Steve,

What if person A closes their account with his provider and doesn't remove the number from GV. Then the number is re-assigned to person B. Is person B is SOL? I thought there was a way to reclaim a number.

Edit:
Thanks for the info. I didn't know this.

SteveInWA

Robert, good question.  This is one of the scenarios that people run into.  It's why we're currently manually resetting these people's accounts so they can select a different forwarding number to sign up for a GV number, but they will still not be able to use that recycled number as their initial forwarding number.  After the account is set up, the user will be able to add the recycled number as a forwarding number.  This seems nuts, but it is specifically designed to limit abuse scenarios by requiring that the user have a unique, previously unused number during  sign up.  A few examples of abuse:

• Abusive spouse or stalker requests a GV number to harass someone, then changes GV number repeatedly when the caller tries to block that number.
  • The infamous Craigslist scam, whereby scammer requests multiple numbers for use in scamming sellers or buyers on Craigslist, or on online dating sites, etc.
  • The user who requested a GV number and now wants to change it without paying the $10 number change fee

What makes this tricky, is balancing good user experience (or "customer service") with detecting and limiting these abuse scenarios.  The current situation isn't good, because once the user unintentionally enters a banned forwarding number (as in your example), they have no way to delete it and enter a different number, unless we ask Google to manually reset their account.  It's manual-labor intensive, and Google hopes to implement an improved solution very soon.

SteveInWA

Oh, and I should also clarify that your "reclaim" issue is even more complex than I discussed.  It doesn't matter if you forget to remove the forwarding number or not, when abandoning service with that provider.  Since the number was previously used to create an account, the next user can't use that number to request a new GV number, although they CAN use it to add as a forwarding phone to an already-created account.  In that scenario, the user trying to use it again will receive a warning that the number is in use on another account, and would they like to reclaim it.  Since they presumably have working phone service on that number, the safeguard is that GV will call them on that number to verify it, and allow it to be reclaimed.  This reclamation procedure is limited; there is an undisclosed number of reclaims permitted (the "innocent purposes" reclaim) before it's banned, too.

This is also the only fix for the Craigslist scam:  someone pings you via Craigslist email, about an item you are selling.  They tell you "I'm using a special phone system that requires you enter a two-digit code when I call you to discuss your item.  Please enter the code when you hear the message."  This scam then assigns your phone number to the new GV number that the scammer is creating.  The only way to recover from this mess is by creating your own GV account, using a different forwarding number, and then snatching back (reclaiming) your scammed forwarding number.

CarvinAbuser

Quote from: LTN1 on December 29, 2014, 09:14:49 PM

Like azrobert said:

GV (service) requires you to have another phone number like a cell phone, VOIP number or a land line.

But once you add that number as a forwarding number, you can uncheck that forwarding number and just use Google chat and
the Obi device.

Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify, the above is all I need to do?

LTN1

Quote from: CarvinAbuser on December 30, 2014, 03:46:50 AM
Quote from: LTN1 on December 29, 2014, 09:14:49 PM

Like azrobert said:

But once you add that number as a forwarding number, you can uncheck that forwarding number and just use Google chat and
the Obi device.

Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify, the above is all I need to do?

It should be all you need to do. Some people don't see the Google chat option in GV but if you run into that, just come back and SteveInWA and others can assist.

CarvinAbuser

^ I tried it and that's what happened, no Google chat option.  ???

SteveInWA

Quote from: CarvinAbuser on December 30, 2014, 06:24:08 AM
^ I tried it and that's what happened, no Google chat option.  ???

Read the instructions.  Follow them exactly.  It's not that difficult.  The Obihai FAQ shows you how to do it.

I also spell it out, step by step, here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

In particular:  if you don't already have Google Chat set up, you need to do so.  Download the Google Voice and Video web browser plugin here:  https://www.google.com/tools/dlpage/hangoutplugin

Install the plugin.  If you are using Firefox or Safari browser, then you must "activate" or approve the browser to run the plugin, for security reasons.

Sign into Gmail, not Google Voice.  Look for your Chat avatar, midway down the left side of the Gmail inbox page.  It's either a generic head and shoulders or a photo you may have uploaded.  Click on it to make a phone call.  That will add the Chat forwarding destination to your Google Voice settings page.

jumbovideo

Hate to hijack this thread but it just so happens that my problems are quite similar to OP. I've been following a certain guide that has proxy ip for US address + temp US number to port for GV. Reason being since I'm from Canada, I've had little to no success for this operation because once I have been confirmed to get a GV number, it'll say "There was an error with your request. Please try again."

BUT, I was also able to successfully add GV onto my obi200 since it says 'Connected' I assume it works although it uses a generic number such as 760 705 8888 for outbound calling, does this also mean that any calls I make from this number is free within Canada? IF so, is it also possible to make obi200 have the GV generic number to make outbound calls, and have another voip service as inbound to receive calls?

SteveInWA

Quote from: jumbovideo on December 30, 2014, 10:47:33 PM
Hate to hijack this thread but it just so happens that my problems are quite similar to OP. I've been following a certain guide that has proxy ip for US address + temp US number to port for GV. Reason being since I'm from Canada, I've had little to no success for this operation because once I have been confirmed to get a GV number, it'll say "There was an error with your request. Please try again."

BUT, I was also able to successfully add GV onto my obi200 since it says 'Connected' I assume it works although it uses a generic number such as 760 705 8888 for outbound calling, does this also mean that any calls I make from this number is free within Canada? IF so, is it also possible to make obi200 have the GV generic number to make outbound calls, and have another voip service as inbound to receive calls?

Yes, you can make outbound calls using the OBi box without having an inbound GV number.  Yes, calls TO Canadian numbers are free.  Here are the calling rates:

https://www.google.com/voice/rates?hl=en&p=hangout

Yes, you can add another service provider, for inbound and optionally outbound calls, while leaving GV for outbound.  Yes, the outbound caller ID will be a generic GV trunk phone number.  Selecting which provider to use as the default for outbound calls is as easy as checking a box on the OBiTALK web portal during or after setup.

Frankly, unless you make a zillion outbound phone calls, I recommend that you don't bother with GV in Canada, where inbound numbers are not available.  Get an inbound phone number (a "DID") from voip.ms,  high-quality, reliable, reasonable-cost Canadian ITSP.  Get a calling plan of whatever size you need for outbound calls.  You can change plans at any time.

CarvinAbuser

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 30, 2014, 06:43:38 AM
Quote from: CarvinAbuser on December 30, 2014, 06:24:08 AM
^ I tried it and that's what happened, no Google chat option.  ???

Read the instructions.  Follow them exactly.  It's not that difficult.  The Obihai FAQ shows you how to do it.

I also spell it out, step by step, here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

In particular:  if you don't already have Google Chat set up, you need to do so.  Download the Google Voice and Video web browser plugin here:  https://www.google.com/tools/dlpage/hangoutplugin

Install the plugin.  If you are using Firefox or Safari browser, then you must "activate" or approve the browser to run the plugin, for security reasons.

Sign into Gmail, not Google Voice.  Look for your Chat avatar, midway down the left side of the Gmail inbox page.  It's either a generic head and shoulders or a photo you may have uploaded.  Click on it to make a phone call.  That will add the Chat forwarding destination to your Google Voice settings page.

I followed these instructions, (installed the Hangouts extension in Chrome).  When I click on the chat avatar in Gmail, I don't see any option for making a call.  Should I revert to old chat?  ???

jumbovideo

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 31, 2014, 01:42:28 AM
Quote from: jumbovideo on December 30, 2014, 10:47:33 PM

Yes, you can make outbound calls using the OBi box without having an inbound GV number.  Yes, calls TO Canadian numbers are free.  Here are the calling rates:

https://www.google.com/voice/rates?hl=en&p=hangout

Yes, you can add another service provider, for inbound and optionally outbound calls, while leaving GV for outbound.  Yes, the outbound caller ID will be a generic GV trunk phone number.  Selecting which provider to use as the default for outbound calls is as easy as checking a box on the OBiTALK web portal during or after setup.

Frankly, unless you make a zillion outbound phone calls, I recommend that you don't bother with GV in Canada, where inbound numbers are not available.  Get an inbound phone number (a "DID") from voip.ms,  high-quality, reliable, reasonable-cost Canadian ITSP.  Get a calling plan of whatever size you need for outbound calls.  You can change plans at any time.

I understand inbound numbers are not available in Canada for GV, but since it's free for outbound calls within Canada, why not make use of it rather than paying it? Unless the call quality from GV in Canada is poor, I don't see any other reason as to not use it regardless if it's a generic GV number. I'll most likely be using my obi200 for a replacement for my home phone so I'll be making calls to local family members for the most part and they'll know the situation already and will know the inbound number to callback. Pretty much if this whole theoretical plan works with GV outbound and voip.ms inbound then I'll be saving a lot more than usual.