News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call Filter / Screening based on Caller ID

Started by AIResearcher, January 03, 2015, 01:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AIResearcher

Hello,

I want to use ObiTalk to connect a Google Voice nuimber to my Daughters' play room on an old rotary phone.

I want to give the number to their grandparents and close family friends so that they can call in when they want to talk.  However, for security reasons I don't want any other phone numbers to be able to call through.

I can't seem to figure out how to configure Google Voice to do this type of filtering (It seems you can only filter call forwarding and there is no contact-based override for their Do-Not-Disturb setting.)

I was wondering:

A) If the ObiHai 200 could perform this type of filtering on device.
    B) If a free / inexpensive alternative VOIP service provider could perform this functionality.
    C) If there is a different ObiHai device that could be used with Google Voice that could perform this type of filtering.

Any suggestions and/or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

azrobert

You have 2 options.
In your GV account, turn off forwarding to GV Chat.
Add all your friends and family as contacts in a Group.
Forward that Group to GV Chat.

or

In the OBi200 GV trunk definition filter inbound calls by callerid allowing only friends and family to ring the OBi200 phone.

I think the 2nd is easier to setup.

The OBi200 only has 1 phone port, so all phones connected to it will have this filtering.
The OBi202 has 2 phone ports, so your daughter's phone can be on port#1 and you can have an unfiltered GV account on phone port#2.
OBi's supports inbound calls on a rotary phone, but outbound calls will not work.

AIResearcher

Quote from: azrobert on January 03, 2015, 02:51:45 PM
You have 2 options.

Thank you for your response!

In your GV account, turn off forwarding to GV Chat.
Add all your friends and family as contacts in a Group.
Forward that Group to GV Chat.

I tried doing this, but it seems like the Obi200 is connected to the Google Voice line and not the GV Chat.  I took all groups / contacts / etc... off of forward and it still rang through to the Obi200.

or

In the OBi200 GV trunk definition filter inbound calls by callerid allowing only friends and family to ring the OBi200 phone.

I think the 2nd is easier to setup.

The OBi200 only has 1 phone port, so all phones connected to it will have this filtering.
The OBi202 has 2 phone ports, so your daughter's phone can be on port#1 and you can have an unfiltered GV account on phone port#2.
OBi's supports inbound calls on a rotary phone, but outbound calls will not work.

Thank you!  I will look into how to set this up!

azrobert

Assuming GV is defined on SP1

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
{(14808370001|14808370002|14808370003|14808370004):ph}

Only those 4 numbers will be routed to the phone port.

azrobert

If you don't know how to make the above change, you have to use OBi Expert.

Here is an explanation on using OBi Expert:

From the OBiTalk dashboard click Edit Profile on the left column.
At the bottom of the page check "Enable Obi Expert..."
Click Submit Query.
Now you can go directly to OBi Expert from the dashboard.

Click Obi Dashboard.
On the right of your OBixxx is an icon with a red E.
Click on it to enter OBi Expert.

To navigate click on the titles with the +
Then click on a sub-title
An example click on Service Providers
Then click ITSP Profile A General
There are 2 boxes to the right of each setting
To change a setting uncheck the box under ObiTalk Setting
Then uncheck the box under Device Default
Now change the setting
After you have made all the necessary changes for that page, click Submit at the bottom of the page.
OBiTalk will download the configuration changes to the OBi and reboot it.
Wait until this process is complete before continuing to the next page.

Taoman

Quote from: AIResearcher on January 03, 2015, 03:09:53 PM

I tried doing this, but it seems like the Obi200 is connected to the Google Voice line and not the GV Chat.  I took all groups / contacts / etc... off of forward and it still rang through to the Obi200.

I think using groups in Google Voice can be problematic. My experience has been that you actually need to check the individual Contact's GV settings to know what's going on for sure. I was experiencing some of my Contacts ringing my OBi via Google Chat even though I had all the groups and Chat unchecked. It turned out when I checked the individual Contact's GV settings (do search while on GV page for Contact and then edit) every one of my Contacts had Google Chat checked even though it was unchecked everywhere else including the groups they were in.

AIResearcher

Quote from: Taoman on January 03, 2015, 06:49:34 PM
Quote from: AIResearcher on January 03, 2015, 03:09:53 PM

I think using groups in Google Voice can be problematic. My experience has been that you actually need to check the individual Contact's GV settings to know what's going on for sure. I was experiencing some of my Contacts ringing my OBi via Google Chat even though I had all the groups and Chat unchecked. It turned out when I checked the individual Contact's GV settings (do search while on GV page for Contact and then edit) every one of my Contacts had Google Chat checked even though it was unchecked everywhere else including the groups they were in.

Quote from: azrobert on January 03, 2015, 03:18:54 PM
Assuming GV is defined on SP1

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
{(14808370001|14808370002|14808370003|14808370004):ph}

Only those 4 numbers will be routed to the phone port.

Thank you all for your kind responses and support.  I was able to access the inbound call route settings as described.  I am not able to fully test it out until tomorrow morning but I believe I should have no problems.

I think that I will rely on those rather than the Google Voice options if they are indeed problematic.

Thanks again!
John