News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't setup / no phone port access

Started by rlic80, January 03, 2015, 04:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlic80

I recently got a Obi100 to setup a single line in our home for simple phone local calls. I am unable to setup the device however due to the lack of ability to call any number at all (either the setup number or Echo Test Server). I have no dial tone or anything at all. I have tried entering the device IP into my routers DMZ but still no luck.

The power LED is solid green and the phone port LED will flash green for a split second when rebooting the Obi100, but not any other time. The data packet light will intermittently flash in short intervals.

I have an Arris DG1670A on Time Warner Cable service.

Any thoughts from anyone while I wait on my support ticket to be addressed (it's been a week since submitting it).

Thanks

azrobert

The Phone Port light will not come on until you define a trunk, but you should have dial tone. You don't even have to be connected to a router to get dial tone. Make sure your phone and cord are good.

Try doing a Factory Reset. There is an access hole on the bottom of the OBi100. It's a little larger than the vent holes. Using a paper clip, press and hold the reset button until the OBi100 starts to reboot.

If you don't get dial tone, the unit is probably defective.

rlic80

I've tried factory resets before.

I'm guessing that the unit is defective then since I've tried two different phones, two different cables, etc and have never had a dial tone once.

Tdiguy

I have  a similar issue i think.
My friend has a comcast modem / router combination device which is also made by arris and has a telephone port on it.
I have set up obi devices multiple times for myself and friends / family and i love how easy they normally are to configure.
He in fact used to have this obi device working at his house before they re-arranged things put it in storage and then got this abomination of a modem / router device.

I am pretty sure the issue is somewhere in the modem / router device. I say this because after many hours troubleshooting which included putting the obi110 into the dmz of this device it still did not work ( i guess comcast has a funny definition of a dmz :( ) After all that nonsense i brought the device home to look at it. I have comcast at home however i hate these combination devices so at home i have my own modem ( that i own because comcast rips people off on rental charges ) and a router. I didnt have to do a thing to this obi to get it working again ( mind you this was previously configured years ago ) I simply plugged everything in and whala dial tone and i was able to make  and receive calls. so there has to be something about the modem / router combination device that is either not configured right to work with the obi or the device simply wont allow it. Without knowing the ports the obi uses i dont know where to go with it.

rlic80

Quote from: Tdiguy on January 04, 2015, 11:52:57 AM
I have  a similar issue i think.
My friend has a comcast modem / router combination device which is also made by arris and has a telephone port on it.
I have set up obi devices multiple times for myself and friends / family and i love how easy they normally are to configure.
He in fact used to have this obi device working at his house before they re-arranged things put it in storage and then got this abomination of a modem / router device.

I am pretty sure the issue is somewhere in the modem / router device. I say this because after many hours troubleshooting which included putting the obi110 into the dmz of this device it still did not work ( i guess comcast has a funny definition of a dmz :( ) After all that nonsense i brought the device home to look at it. I have comcast at home however i hate these combination devices so at home i have my own modem ( that i own because comcast rips people off on rental charges ) and a router. I didnt have to do a thing to this obi to get it working again ( mind you this was previously configured years ago ) I simply plugged everything in and whala dial tone and i was able to make  and receive calls. so there has to be something about the modem / router combination device that is either not configured right to work with the obi or the device simply wont allow it. Without knowing the ports the obi uses i dont know where to go with it.

Thanks for your feedback. I haven't heard a thing from the support ticket I submitted over a week ago. I can't change my internet router/modem very easily (thanks local monopoly bullshit), so I guess I'm just going to return the Obi device and try something else hoping it works.

drgeoff

An Obi should give dial tone to a connected phone even with nothing plugged in to its ethernet jack.

zorlac

Quote from: rlic80 on January 03, 2015, 04:15:29 PM
I have no dial tone or anything at all.
Have you tried a different phone with a different cable?

rlic80

Quote from: drgeoff on January 06, 2015, 11:23:46 AM
An Obi should give dial tone to a connected phone even with nothing plugged in to its ethernet jack.

I have no dial tone whatsoever. I am assuming my device is defective?

Quote from: zorlac on January 07, 2015, 04:24:13 AM
Quote from: rlic80 on January 03, 2015, 04:15:29 PM
I have no dial tone or anything at all.
Have you tried a different phone with a different cable?

I have tried two different phones with two different phone cables.

zorlac

It unfortunately sounds ominous as in wait for a newegg obi sale..  :-\

azrobert

This is a wild guess, check the pins in the phone port and see if they are shorted. This never happen to me on an ATA, but it did on a wall jack. One of the pins popped out of its slot and shorted out on another pin.

Is your OBi under warrantee?

Check to see if the OBi is totally dead or it's just the phone port.
Log directly into the OBi using the local interface.
Key the IP address of the OBi into a Web Browser.
Hit Enter
The UserID and default Password are both "admin".
If you can login, the OBI is probably functional except for the phone port.
Since you can't use the phone port to discover the IP address, you will need to look at your router's status page.

If your OBi is still functional, I can show you how to use it with and Android phone, a Windows computer with a headset or an old non-OBi ATA.

If you deleted your OBi from OBiTalk you won't be able to add it back, so you won't be able to define/use GV. Any other provider can be defined locally (maybe not Ring.to).

Edit:
I re-read the beginning of this thread. It's a new OBi100, so return it.

rlic80

Quote from: azrobert on January 10, 2015, 12:52:35 PM
This is a wild guess, check the pins in the phone port and see if they are shorted. This never happen to me on an ATA, but it did on a wall jack. One of the pins popped out of its slot and shorted out on another pin.

Hit Enter
Since you can't use the phone port to discover the IP address, you will need to look at your router's status page.

If your OBi is still functional, I can show you how to use it with and Android phone, a Windows computer with a headset or an old non-OBi ATA.

If you deleted your OBi from OBiTalk you won't be able to add it back, so you won't be able to define/use GV. Any other provider can be defined locally (maybe not Ring.to).

Edit:

I returned and replaced the unit and everything is working fine now.

A note of interest however...since I had both devices still, I mixed & matched the units & cables to see if there was any change. The problem, surprisingly lied in the original units power source. Although it was powering the device and showing good internet connection...for some reason, it wasn't powering the phone port and wouldn't allow me to even get a dial tone. Once I swapped that out, BOTH units appeared to function completely fine.

I kept the replacement unit & power cable though and have since sent back the original.

Just thought that bit of info might help someone else down the road.

drgeoff

The PSU solution is quite believable.  There may be more than one DC to DC converter in the main unit.  One for the lowish voltages (perhaps in the 3.3 to 12 volt range) for the digital and audio processing circuits.  Another one to generate the much higher voltages to power the phone circuit; about 48 volt DC and up to about 80 volts AC.  Could be that the faulty PSU gave a low voltage.  The first converter could run and manage to produce enough voltage for the circuits it supplies but the second one couldn't.  It might not even  have been able to start up.

Anyway, worth bearing in mind for any future cases with the same symptoms.

Darth-Vader

Quote from: rlic80 on January 13, 2015, 01:42:42 PM
Quote from: azrobert on January 10, 2015, 12:52:35 PM

Hit Enter

Edit:

I returned and replaced the unit and everything is working fine now.

A note of interest however...since I had both devices still, I mixed & matched the units & cables to see if there was any change. The problem, surprisingly lied in the original units power source. Although it was powering the device and showing good internet connection...for some reason, it wasn't powering the phone port and wouldn't allow me to even get a dial tone. Once I swapped that out, BOTH units appeared to function completely fine.

I kept the replacement unit & power cable though and have since sent back the original.

Just thought that bit of info might help someone else down the road.

Thanks for the info, but swapping out the power supply with a functional OBi110 device failed to help my  defective OBi110's Phone Port. I sent a ticket to support for repair or replacement.