News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phones Keep Ringing After Answering OBi 202

Started by fjl332, January 09, 2015, 05:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fjl332

I use an OBi 202. At one time I was only using one port to feed a set of cordless phones, because I had a DSL signal coming into the house. Then I converted to Cable Internet and freed up the phone wiring so that there is no signal coming in to ruin the OBi. At that point I connected the second port (phone jack on the OBi) to feed the house wiring and activate all the other wired phones. Now, when the phones ring, we can pick up on any phone. However, if we pick up on the cordless set, the wired phones keep ringing. Likewise if we pick up on the wired phones, the cordless phones keep ringing. It's rather annoying. Both ports are set in my configuration as outbound and inbound ports. Is there something I need to change to have all the phones behave the same way?

giqcass

Did you set up the same GV account on 2 SP slots?  If so that might be the issue.  It should be set up on only 1 SP slot.  One account registration is capable of ringing both phone ports.  Then both lines can be set to use that SP as the default outgoing line.
Long live our new ObiLords!

fjl332

No, I have Google Voice on SP1 and Freephoneline on SP2. A while back I did not have Google Voice set up on SP1, only Freephoneline on SP2 and the problem was the same. :-(

giqcass

Long live our new ObiLords!

azrobert

What happens if you don't use the house wiring and connect a phone directly to Phone Port 2?

You can probably fix the problem by connecting the house wiring to Phone Port 1 using a splitter like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Almond-Duplex-Phone-Splitter-Adapter-ALMOND-DUPLEX-ADAPTER-/291327658858?pt=US_Phone_Cords_Jacks_Plugs&hash=item43d47b4b6a

If you don't have one, the dollar stores usually carry them.

Since all the phones are now connected to Phone Port 1, you can only have one call in session at any point in time.

Edit:   
Reconnect to the house wiring if the 1st test works properly, but only have the phone you used connected and all the other phones disconnected.

fjl332

I am not forwarding one to the other. I think the issue is with the OBi202, perhaps the settings, only I don't know what settings are causing this.

Before I connected the one port (port 2) to the house wiring, I had it connected to a fax machine and then to another phone from the fax machine. The same happened. One kept ringing while the other was answered. Except, with the fax machine, it pulled in all the calls as fax calls and prevented anyone from answering the phone! The machine had to be turned off in order to answer the phones at all!

I think the splitter would work, but the whole idea of having two ports is to be able to use them.

SteveInWA

Like Robert said:  use only one of the OBi's two phone jacks, not both.  Plug all your phones (corded or cordless) into that one phone jack, via a splitter or via multiple phone jacks in the house wiring.  The two phone ports on the OBi aren't intended to be configured to ring via the same SP at the same time.

fjl332

Thanks, SteveInWA, wish I had known that before buying the OBi 202, a cheaper OBi would have suited my purpose, that being the case! In Canada, I cannot receive GV calls, only place outgoing calls, so the only SP that I can receive calls on is FPL, hence only one port needed!

Seems like a crippled device to me, certainly not what I expected! I'll go with a splitter, have a few sitting around.