News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Inbound & Outbound callerid NAME (with Google Voice)

Started by RJSinMO, January 12, 2015, 08:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJSinMO

I just got my OBi100, and set it up with Google Voice.  And, I have questions or problems with both inbound and outbound callerid name.  The callerid number is fine, it the NAME field that I'm concerned with.

Inbound:
Google voice seems to support this, as if I set up a land line as one of my google voice phone to ring to, the name and number show as they should.  But, the phone attached to my OBI is only showing the incoming number, not the name.  Why is this??

Outbound:
I know this is a stretch, as I've read Google doesn't support outbound callerid name.  But, I see there is a field in the advanced config for the OBI for outbound caller name.  Will this work with Google?

Taoman

Caller ID name (CNAME) is not supported by Google Voice for either outbound or inbound calls.

What you saw in the name field on an incoming GV call forwarded to your land line was populated by your land line provider, not Google Voice.

giqcass

Quote from: RJSinMO on January 12, 2015, 08:07:52 PM
Inbound:
Google voice seems to support this, as if I set up a land line as one of my google voice phone to ring to, the name and number show as they should.  But, the phone attached to my OBI is only showing the incoming number, not the name.  Why is this??
Taoman is correct.  In the US the Caller Name(CNAM) is looked up by the company that terminates the call using the callers number(CID) IF that company provides the service.  When a call is forwarded to your landline your telephone company terminates the call and looks the name up in it's database using the callers phone number(CID).  In most instances except blocked calls Google Voice passes the callers number(CID) but never the caller name(CNAM).  In the case of your Obi registered directly to Google Voice the caller number(CID) is still passed but Google does not provide caller name(CNAM) lookup. 

Quote from: RJSinMO on January 12, 2015, 08:07:52 PM
Outbound:
I know this is a stretch, as I've read Google doesn't support outbound callerid name.  But, I see there is a field in the advanced config for the OBI for outbound caller name.  Will this work with Google?

That feature can pass caller name(CNAM) to some services that support it.  Unfortunately Google Voice will ignore it.  If Google Voice did not ignore the information it would still most likely be ignored by the phone company of the person you were calling in the US. 

So why have that setting in the Obi at all?
If you called someone SIP to SIP without going over the traditional US based telephone network the receiving caller may receive what you put in that field.  Both your service and the receiving service must support that SIP header.
Long live our new ObiLords!

RJSinMO

Thanks for the replies guys.  On the outbound, that's what I figured.  And, actually, when I tried to fill it in, OBI just wiped it out again.

On the inbound, I'm pretty bummed, I wasn't aware this wasn't going to work.

And, regarding the inbound, I never knew that was the responsibility of the receiving phone company.  I guess that somewhat explains a long mystery for me of why CNAM doesn't show on cell phones.

RJSinMO

Oh, and you would think that at least Google would pass the name from my Google contacts to the OBI, given that that is what it resolves to in my call history in Google.

giqcass

Quote from: RJSinMO on January 13, 2015, 08:56:52 PM
Oh, and you would think that at least Google would pass the name from my Google contacts to the OBI, given that that is what it resolves to in my call history in Google.
That would be nice if it used our address book but you must consider what the service was designed to do.  It was developed to forward calls and as such there was no reason to put extra effort into something that would never be used.  I don't believe those of us using Google Voice with an Obi device are their target audience for the service.

Some people use this method to get free CNAM.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.0
Long live our new ObiLords!