News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Both phone ports ring at 10:30am every day

Started by Eric_in_Boca, January 14, 2015, 07:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric_in_Boca

They both ring one ring then stop.

This happens every day like clockwork.

Any ideas?

azrobert

It's probably an SIP scanner.
See:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5467.0

I use methods 2 and 4.
Method 2 is probably good enough.
Default user agent ports for SP1 thru SP4 are 5060-3
Pick numbers like 4360-3

Use OBi Expert to make this change.

Eric_in_Boca

I only use SP1.

First, I logged directly into my OBI202 device and looked at these values.  SP1 had X_UserAgentPort set to a 5 digit number beginning with 2, SP2-4 were set to 5061-3.  SP1-4 were enabled.  I made no changes while directly logged into the device.

Next, I logged into obitalk.com and changed X_UserAgentPort in SP1 to something outside of 506x and deactivated SP2, SP3, and SP4.

After I made the changes in obitalk.com, looking again directly in the device, now only SP1 is enabled.  But it still has its original 5 digit number in X_UserAgentPort. 

obitalk.com seems to update the device with the changes I made not enabling SP2-4, but not the change I made in X_UserAgentPort.  Could SP1's X_UserAgentPort configuration somehow be under the control of Phone Power not obitalk.com?

I will report back and let the community know if this stops the errant rings.

Eric_in_Boca

I wanted to give it several days to be sure the problem was resolved, or not.  After a week or so, the problem persists.  But, for some reason, now the phones ring, every day, about 5:30 PM.

Mango

Does your Call History give any information about the calls?

Eric_in_Boca

Looking in the OBI 202 call history there is nothing.

Looking in Phonepower "Call Log and Usage" there is also nothing.

DR_MN

when I disabled call waiting in the Obi Expert and the Obi was rebooting my phone did one of those short one rings.  It did the same thing during set up and also when I rebooted my modem and the Obi was reconnecting.  Maybe it has something to do with your internet connection. 

Eric_in_Boca

You may be on to something!!!

I have noticed that when the Obi 202 is resetting, it gives both of the phone ports a short ring -- just one short ring.

What I am experiencing happens every day, at just about the same time.   So, perhaps the Obi is resetting itself every day?  To answer that question, I logged into the Obi 202 device itself.  Under System Status, it says for UpTime 0 Days 19:55:31 (3).  This tells me the Obi was reset yesterday right around 5:25 PM!

Now, I have not made any changes that would have caused my Obi to reset itself.  So, the question is: why is my Obi resetting itself every day?

infin8loop

If your router maintains a DHCP "Lease Obtained" and/or "Lease Expires" date/time you might check them to see if they coincide with the time the OBi resets. On my Netgear router the date/time is under Router Status / Connection Status.
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

Mango

Is your OBi202 connected directly to your modem, or do you have a router?  If you have a router, you can set your OBi up with a static IP to test infin8loop's theory.

From within System Management -> WAN Settings (or Network Settings) you may change the following:

AddressingType: Static
IPAddress: pick any valid IP address, outside your router's DHCP range
SubnetMask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway:your router's IP address
DNSServer1: your router's IP address

If this works, it would be one of the oddest problems and solutions I have seen in quite a while.

Eric_in_Boca

At this point, there is one thing that I am certain of.....every day my OBI resets itself.  When it resets itself, both lines ring a single ring.

The time it resets itself is the time that it was last rebooted.  Unless I make a change that requires rebooting, it never is rebooted.  And I have it, and my router, cable modem, and other network equipment connected to a UPS so it is not effected by power outages.

I have the OBI connected to another router.  The DHCP lease time in the router is indeed set for 24 hours.  So, to test infin8loop's theory, I have this morning set up the OBI to use a static IP address, at right at 10 AM. 

I will see if the thing rings tomorrow at 10 AM and post the result in this thread.

Eric_in_Boca

After setting my OBI to a static IP address, both phone ports are still ringing.

The reason the phones rang, is the OBI reset itself just at 24 hours and 30 minutes after I rebooted it when I changed the IP address yesterday at 10:30 AM.

I have changed the subject of this tread to say "OBI reboots itself approximately every 24 hours".

infin8loop

Do you make configuration changes via the OBiTalk web portal? In other words is OBiTalk Provisioning Enabled on the device? If so, I see the provisioning Interval is set to 86400 by default. 86400 seconds is 24 hours. I will wonder out loud if the provisioning causes the device to reboot since I don't know. I run my OBi110's (2) with OBiTalk Provisioning disabled and configure locally.  I only enabled OBiTalk on one OBi110 to update Google Voice on it when it became "officially supported" and then immediately disabled OBiTalk Provisioning. Most folks probably wouldn't notice a daily reboot if their phone doesn't ring like yours does.

If you do configure using the OBiTalk web portal, I suggest trying to modify the OBiTalk Provisioning Interval (using the portal of course) to maybe 900 seconds (15 min) for a quick test if it allows you to do so. Hopefully you might see a reboot (and a phone ring) in 15 minutes instead of having to wait 24 hours -- if the OBiTalk Provisioning actually does cause a reboot AND whatever criteria is met that would force a reboot in a provisioning event.

This may be a wild goose chase too. I'd test this myself, but I don't want to enable OBiTalk Provisioning!     
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

Eric_in_Boca

Thanks for the ideas.  I do usually use OBiTalk portal to configure, unless I change something like the IP address from DHCP to static, etc.

When I go to OBiTalk.com > System Management > Auto Provisioning, I do not see "OBiTalk Provisioning".  However, when I go to my Obi device, I do see OBiTalk Provisioning, and I have set that to 900 seconds.

See the attached screen shots.  The first one is directly from the Obi device, the second one is from OBiTalk.com provisioning system.

Eric_in_Boca

It has now been over 3 hours since I changed the "OBiTalk Provisioning" in the Obi device itself from 86400 seconds to 900 seconds, the device has not rebooted itself.

(It appears this is a change you can make that takes effect without the device having to be rebooted.)

And, it is now over 25 hours since it rebooted itself yesterday, so perhaps just making a change to this parameter has cured the problem....?

I just now changed this parameter to "Disabled", and will report back if this cures the problem. 

Eric_in_Boca

I think this problem (Obi device rebooting and causing errant rings when it did that) has been resolved, and want to thank everyone who chimed in with suggestions.

What seems to have fixed it is changing the OBiTalk Provisioning setting in the Obi device itself.  I first changed it from 86400 seconds (24 hours) to 900 seconds, and after waiting 25 hours it had not rebooted itself.

At that point, I changed this to disabled.  I am now at over 4 days without the device rebooting itself, nor the errant rings.

I am not sure, but I believe making any change to this setting fixed the problem of the device rebooting itself.

See attachments for details.