News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

phone volume too loud with Obi302

Started by TimDan, January 16, 2015, 05:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimDan

The sound coming out of the handset on 2 different corded desk phones is too loud.

I've tried hooking up 2 different Panasonic Easa-Phones to my new Obi302 adapter, and the sound volume in the handset is always too loud.  I've had 2 different tech guys at PhonePower try to adjust the Tx and Rx channel gain remotely, and neither could agree on what Tx and Rx channels are.  And when Tx is adjusted down to a comfortable level, I get an echo of my own voice, and the tech has to turn it back up.

I'd like to do this myself, but I'm told that I have to have admin authority to change the settings on my Obi302 adapter, and that only the techs at PhonePower can adjust the adapter settings.

So what is the truth?
What does Tx channel gain control?
What does Rx channel gain control?
Can I change these settings?  If so, how?

*TimDaniels*

drgeoff

ChannelTxGain is FXS transmit (from OBi to the phone) gain in dB
ChannelRxGain is FXS receive (from phone to OBi) gain in dB

I don't know the truth about admin authority but if you don't know a working password, then you cannot change the settings.

If you know your PhonePower SIP settings you could try to factory reset the OBi.  Usually that resets user and password to admin.  But you have a 302 which is typically only supplied through an ITSP.

TimDan

Thanks!  I told the PhonePower rep that the the ChannelTXGain controlled the handset speaker (contrary to his belief), and by setting that way down (-12), it reduced the volume.  I might even want it raised to -11 or -10 in the future.

Yes, I figured that the lack of info on the Obihai website about the Obi302 meant that it was only supplied by ITSPs.  It looks, though, that it is virtually an Obi202 but maybe with firmware specific to the ITSP.  That was another point of disagreement between PhonePower tech reps, so I thought I'd ask here.  It's a pain having to always take the (long amount of) time to go through the tech reps.  I guess that PhonePower feels that the average customer is a dolt and would just screw up the adapter and blame the malfunction on PhonePower.

Another such "don't trust the customer" is the admonition to put only one analog phone on an adapter port.  I have 3 Panasonic analog desksets to hook up to the Obi302, and I know their REN is way lower than 1.0, so I'm going to put them on the same wall wiring (after I disconnect from AT&T's terminal box in the building's storeroom).  I'll post the results here - eventually.   ;D

TimDaniels