News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Advantage using OBi504vs vs. Two OBi202?

Started by Mister_M, January 22, 2015, 09:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister_M

Hi all.  First post.  I just got an OBi200 and hooked it up.  Got GV setup and ported my land line number with RingTo.  Have to admit that $12 a year for E911 is a lot better than $20 a month with my local cable company.  Setup was smooth and pretty straight forward.  Everything is working fine.

I just wanted to check for future reference what the advantage of getting an OBi504vs would be over two OBi202's?  I have kids and eventually would like to get them their own private lines in their rooms with GV numbers.  I'm looking at the amount of phone ports needed.  I'm not running a business and at $100 less than a OBI504vs, the pair of OBi202's would seem the better way to go.  Am I missing something obvious?  Sorry, but I'm still new and there is an overwhelming amount of information on this forum.  Thanks for any insight.

Taoman

The most obvious thing is probably that the OBi 5xx series and OBi 3xx series of devices do not support Google Voice.
If you're going to use Google Voice stay with the 1xx or 2xx series of Obihai devices.......or their IP phone.

Mister_M

According to Amazon's description the OBi504vs supports GV.  It's on the last bullet in the description.  If this is incorrect, then I guess it would be obvious I need a pair of OBi202's instead.

azrobert

Have you thought about how you are going to wire this setup? I think most homes are only wired for 2 lines. If your phone uses the home wiring than you only have 1 pair of wires for the kids. You could put an OBi200 with an OBiWiFi in each bedroom or 2 kids can share an OBi202 with the house wiring. If the bedrooms are adjacent you could drill a hole through the wall.

The OBi200 has recently been on sale several times for $30. I would wait until they are on sale again and buy a bunch of them.

azrobert

OBi5vs Series
Software Feature Highlights:
Call Signaling for Up to 8 Voice Services: SIP (UDP/TCP/TLS), Google™ (XMPP)

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6550.0

Mister_M

Quote from: azrobert on January 22, 2015, 10:41:12 AM
Have you thought about how you are going to wire this setup? I think most homes are only wired for 2 lines. If your phone uses the home wiring than you only have 1 pair of wires for the kids. You could put an OBi200 with an OBiWiFi in each bedroom or 2 kids can share an OBi202 with the house wiring. If the bedrooms are adjacent you could drill a hole through the wall.

The OBi200 has recently been on sale several times for $30. I would wait until they are on sale again and buy a bunch of them.

I have easy access to the wiring block in the house so I can change the configuration at will.  Physical wiring won't be an issue.  I'm more concerned about the digit-map I would need to work on between two OBi's as I'm not savvy with that sort of stuff yet.  But, that's getting a little ahead of myself.

I picked up an OBi200 during the last sale.  We don't use our land line a lot and my wife didn't want to drop it entirely because she wanted 911 at the house.  So, I read up on it and found this product.  I have to say that I'm pretty impressed.  I'm just needing more physical ports in the future for the kids, thus the original question.

Quote from: azrobert on January 22, 2015, 10:49:05 AM
OBi5vs Series

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6550.0

So the OBi504vs is back in the running...

202Owner

One Obi202 will give you 2 lines, good for 2 users if you can route the phone cords... or use a DECT cordless phone setup.

Multiple OBi20xs will give you hardware redundancy; if your unit dies, borrow theirs until UPS arrives.  And it will simplify your admin chore.

With 1 ata per kid, you can let them move out or travel with it (college and afterward).  Otherwise, they will only ever have a mobile phone and associated communication issues... dead, lost, poor signal, poor sound.

The OBi202 can be used as a 30Mbs 1-port router; or as a 100Mbps 2-port switch with 1-port connected to the site router.

With GV underpinning Google Hangouts, they can use the Hangouts app on a mobile device over WiFi to take and make their calls when away from home.  You will lose all control over them.   :)

Taoman

Quote from: azrobert on January 22, 2015, 10:49:05 AM
OBi5vs Series

My mistake. Thanks for the correction. I would have bet money the 5xx series didn't support GV. :-[

azrobert

There is another option. You can use a cell phone to access your OBi200. Each OBi200 will support 3 GV accounts using this method.  I'm only familiar with using an Android phone with this setup. It is a more complicated configuration, but I could help you.

The phone does NOT need a phone plan. I have an old Samsung Android without a SIM card installed and locked to T-Mobile that works perfectly with my OBi200. I don't know if all cell phones will work this way. Best Buy has had sales on no contact phones for $10. If you're like most people you probably have a few old handsets in a box somewhere.

Mister_M

Quote from: 202Owner on January 22, 2015, 11:14:14 AM
With GV underpinning Google Hangouts, they can use the Hangouts app on a mobile device over WiFi to take and make their calls when away from home.  You will lose all control over them.   :)

Eventually they will all end up with cell phones as they get older anyway.  I made this argument with my wife, but she doesn't want them having cell phones.  I'm not sure if she's concerned about added cost, control or something else.  I figure if they all have different lines, then that's one less argument I would have to hear.

Quote from: azrobert on January 22, 2015, 12:32:59 PM
There is another option. You can use a cell phone to access your OBi200. Each OBi200 will support 3 GV accounts using this method.  I'm only familiar with using an Android phone with this setup. It is a more complicated configuration, but I could help you.

The phone does NOT need a phone plan. I have an old Samsung Android without a SIM card installed and locked to T-Mobile that works perfectly with my OBi200. I don't know if all cell phones will work this way. Best Buy has had sales on no contact phones for $10. If you're like most people you probably have a few old handsets in a box somewhere.

Interesting.  I presume the phones would be communicating over WiFi since they have no cell service?  Is there a topic on the forum that provides more information on this configuration?  I don't want to waste your time explaining in detail something that may never come to fruition.

202Owner

Quote from: Mister_M on January 22, 2015, 01:06:31 PM
Eventually they will all end up with cell phones as they get older anyway.  I made this argument with my wife, but she doesn't want them having cell phones.  I'm not sure if she's concerned about added cost, control or something else.  I figure if they all have different lines, then that's one less argument I would have to hear.

Your wife is right (of course).  A landline in their room will be less costly, will keep them 'grounded' at their homework workstation, will respect their privacy, and will discourage the early formation of poor mobile user behaviors.

With dedicated lines, how does she feel about no parental call screening/involvement...

Mister_M

Quote from: 202Owner on January 22, 2015, 01:32:02 PM
With dedicated lines, how does she feel about no parental call screening/involvement...

Just getting my ducks in a row before proposing possible solutions to the wife.

I wouldn't think them having dedicated lines would be any different than a shared line with the exception of them fighting over the phone.  We wouldn't be answering it for them and screening their calls.  Currently, nothing is keeping them from calling/answering the single line we have now.

Just like with the internet, we can limit their access/exposure by either allowing or disallowing connections to their OBi via a set schedule with the router.  I'm not sure if there's any way to filter incoming/outgoing calls via GV as I wouldn't want them getting calls from telemarketers or making toll calls.  That's more research I'll have to do.

azrobert

It's easier to just to explain than try to search for a similar setup.

You're correct, the phone would communicate with the OBi200 over WiFi.
You would install an SIP softphone on the cell.
The softphone needs to be able to call out without registration.
CSipSimple for Android is the softphone I use.
You need 1 SP trunk on the OBi200 defined as SIP, therefore only 3 GV accounts.
If the softphone requires registration you will need 2 dedicated SP trunks for each GV account.
The OBi200 configuration changes are not complicated.

You didn't say how many children you have.
You already have an SIP trunk (Ring.to) defined.
You can use that trunk to communicate with the cell phones.
This shouldn't interfere with Ring.to.
You can define 3 GV accounts on your OBi200.
If you have 4 children, the 2 youngest can share one GV account.
GV supports simultaneous calls, so both can make an outbound call at the same time.
Inbound calls will ring both phones.
The 1st to answer will get connected.
You can setup a phone list of CallerIDs of each child's friends and route calls to the correct phone based on CallerID.
Only calls not on the 2 lists will ring both phones.

After reading 202owner's reply the light bulb came on.
You don't need the OBi200.
You can install Hangouts on the phones.
On Android the dialer is a separate app.
Then use the cell phones over WiFi with GV.
No cell plan needed.

FYI:
You need an existing phone number to get a GV phone number.
You can only use a phone number to open 1 GV account.
If you try to open a 2nd account, you will be locked out.
"locked out" I think means you will be denied the 2st GV phone number and you won't be able to use the 1st GV number.

azrobert

QuoteI'm not sure if there's any way to filter incoming/outgoing calls via GV as I wouldn't want them getting calls from telemarketers or making toll calls.  That's more research I'll have to do.

You can do the above with your OBi200.

Mister_M

Quote from: azrobert on January 22, 2015, 02:55:46 PMFYI:
You need an existing phone number to get a GV phone number.
You can only use a phone number to open 1 GV account.
If you try to open a 2nd account, you will be locked out.
"locked out" I think means you will be denied the 2st GV phone number and you won't be able to use the 1st GV number.

That could be problematic.  That kinda defeats the whole purpose of what I was thinking of setting up.  Might be time to go back to the drawing board.

Quote from: azrobert on January 22, 2015, 02:59:46 PM
QuoteI'm not sure if there's any way to filter incoming/outgoing calls via GV as I wouldn't want them getting calls from telemarketers or making toll calls.  That's more research I'll have to do.

You can do the above with your OBi200.

I figure I could do it with digit-mapping, but it's still a little above my head.

azrobert

QuoteThat could be problematic.  That kinda defeats the whole purpose of what I was thinking of setting up.  Might be time to go back to the drawing board.

GV was designed as a forwarding service, therefore you need a number to forward to.
But after you setup the forwarding number with a GV number, you don't have to use the forwarding number. You just uncheck the forwarding number and it won't be used.

There are ways to get around this limitation.
You have a Ring.to number.
Do you and the wife have a cell phone?
You can use another family member's phone number who will never use GV.
You can get a free VOIP phone number from IPComms.

QuoteI figure I could do it with digit-mapping, but it's still a little above my head.
A lot of people on the forum can help you. Just post your requirements.

I was thinking about my cell phone over WiFi suggestion and it might be a bad idea. Once the kids have cell phones they might start nagging you to get a service plan.

You can use the same concept to communicate with the OBi200 using a computer or a tablet.
I believe Hangouts on a tablet/cell requires Android 4.2.

Here is a tablet for $45 shipped:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3CE1BN3060

I don't know if this has/supports a microphone.

Mister_M

Quote from: azrobert on January 22, 2015, 03:50:03 PM
GV was designed as a forwarding service, therefore you need a number to forward to.
But after you setup the forwarding number with a GV number, you don't have to use the forwarding number. You just uncheck the forwarding number and it won't be used.

I used my cell number to get my GV a long time ago.  I notice that not only can I deselect it as a number to forward to, but I also have the option to delete it.  I don't know what affect this would have on GV.

I may set up another account with our ported RingTo number, setup GV for that and get it all working on the last open SP in the 200.  Then I could delete the forwarding RingTo number and see what happens.  If GV still works, I'll see if I can create another account using the same RingTo number and see if it will register.

I don't know if anybody has already tried this and knows the results.  If it won't work, then I'll use alternative means to get numbers.

We're kinda getting off track of the original question, but this is a lot of good feedback that gets me thinking.

azrobert

DO NOT USE THE SAME NUMBER TWICE!!!!!
It will not work even if you delete it as a forwarding number.
SteveInWA is the forum's GV expert and he set me straight on this recently.
You can delete a forwarding number, but GV won't let you if that is the only forwarding number defined.
GoogleChat is not counted.
GV won't let you use the same number twice because of fraud.
Some people try to get a different GV number without paying the $10 fee.
I think there are other reasons, but I can't remember.
I'll try to find Steve's post and I will post a link.

Mister_M

Quote from: azrobert on January 22, 2015, 05:40:25 PM
DO NOT USE THE SAME NUMBER TWICE!!!!!

Read this and the next 4 or 5 posts:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9217.msg61044#msg61044

Okay, okay... calm down.   :D  I appreciate the link and the info.