News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Additional Phone Port for $10

Started by azrobert, January 25, 2015, 04:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azrobert

It has been discussed a bazillion times on the forum on how to use an Android phone and CSipSimple with an OBi, but I don't know if everybody realizes the phone can be used without a contract.

I was in Fry's food store today and they had a Coolpad Arise Android phone on sale for $10. I couldn't resist and bought one for the $10. It has a 4 inch screen, Android 4.4 and a dual core processor. When the phone is powered on it goes thru a setup process and activates automatically. It also sets up WiFi.

I installed CsipSimple and it works perfectly with my OBi200. I did not buy any minutes for the phone. I don't know if the phone is smart enough to deactivate if I never buy minutes, but I have an old Samsung Android that I've been using for years without a contract.

I believe the phone is also sold a Kroger's food store. I don't know if it's on sale for $10 at any other store. The regular price at my store is $60, but the link below has it at $40.

https://www.frysfood.com/topic/i-wireless-coolpad-arise

Lavarock7

If nothing else, it might make a great Wifi phone or MP3 player (depending upon memory).
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

lhm.

On sale at Kroger until 2/3/15. $9.99 while thay last.

vtsnaab

I would love to get the other one listed with this one at Slickdeals at the same stores - the LG Optimus Fuel (L34C) - for such a nicely low price...
Trouble is there's no Fry's or Kroger's here in Vermont.
Hopefully now that these are 'old' devices they will go on sale cheaply at amazon soon.

I got another, lesser LG (Tracfone) model there for $20 a while back and use it wirelessly with GV and also not activated.

It would be fun to get a newer model phone with a newer Android version to experiment upon, I think - but only if it is cheap enough to qualify as a toy.

Searching here for CSipSimple only brings this posting as a result - so maybe someone may post links to some other posts explaining about that, please ??

Thanks.

azrobert

Quote from: vtsnaab on January 28, 2015, 07:23:13 PM
Searching here for CSipSimple only brings this posting as a result - so maybe someone may post links to some other posts explaining about that, please ??

This setup is when CSipSimple is used on the same LAN as the OBi.
CSipSimple is setup without registration.
You must use the Expert wizard to set no registration, but I find it easier to define an account with the Basic wizard then switch to the Expert Wizard.
CSipSimple requires a password.
Use any dummy password.
This example uses SP2 on the OBi and it must be defined as SIP.

In CSipsimple add a new account.
Select the BASIC wizard
Account name = OBixxx
User = OBixxx
Server = xx.xx.xx.xx:5061        (OBi IP address and SP2 port#)
Password = anything
SAVE

Press and hold on the account name.
When a new screen appears, select "Choose Wizard".
Select Expert.
Select your account again.
Select Registration URI and blank it out, then ok.
SAVE

Return to the dial pad
Press Menu on the phone
Select Settings
Press Menu on the phone again
Select Expert Mode
Select Network
Select UDP Port
It should be zero, change it to 5060
OK
This did not change the port for me
I had to go into Apps and force a stop on CSipSimple
The port changed when I restarted CSipSimple
Maybe if you do this 1st before defining the account you won't have to do a restart

OBi Setup:

If SP2 is not defined, setup a dummy SIP definition like this:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServer : 127.0.0.1
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthUserName : (any userid)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_RegisterEnable : (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : B

This will process outbound calls and route them to SP1:
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
{OBixxx>(1xxxxxxxxxx):sp1},{ph}       (OBixxx must match User in CSipSimple)

This will send inbound calls on SP1 to CSipSimple:
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
ph,sp2(anything@xx.xx.xx.xx:5060)       (xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP address of your Android
                                                        5060 is the Bind port defined in the setup)

This will pass callerid and cname:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID : Checked

Edit:
Dial 18005551212 to route a call toSP1
Dial 0 or anything other than 1xxxxxxxxxx to ring the phone port

giqcass

I have never used CSipSimple in quite the way azrobert suggested but I do use old Android phones for WiFi phones without cell service.  They perform very well for me.  I often leave one charged up and in the glovebox for emergencies just in case I forget my cell phone.  They have come in handy before.  If they are previously activated phones they can also call 911 without need for WiFi.

Side note about I-wireless phones.  They are usually Sprint phones with little or no customization.  Most(possibly all) can be used with any Sprint MNVO except Republic Wireless.
Long live our new ObiLords!

azrobert

Quote from: giqcass on January 30, 2015, 06:44:41 PM
I have never used CSipSimple in quite the way azrobert suggested but I do use old Android phones for WiFi phones without cell service.
The above method is only used when your Android is connected to your local router.

If you want to use the Android at a Hotspot like Starbuck's this is the method you should use:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8331.msg54868#msg54868

This method can also be used when you are connected directly to the local router, but the path would be from your LAN to the Sip2Sip server back to your LAN then to the OBi.

The 1st method you are going from the Android directly to the OBi.

giqcass

Quote from: azrobert on January 30, 2015, 07:15:19 PM
The above method is only used when your Android is connected to your local router.

If you want to use the Android at a Hotspot like Starbuck's this is the method you should use:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8331.msg54868#msg54868

This method can also be used when you are connected directly to the local router, but the path would be from your LAN to the Sip2Sip server back to your LAN then to the OBi.

The 1st method you are going from the Android directly to the OBi.
I  use CSipSimple through Callcentric for WiFi calling outside my home network.

Without using any extra software or special setup the current build of Chrome on Android can also be used through the ObiHai WebRTC page to make outgoing only calls to Obi devices. 
Go to http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/

vtsnaab

Thanks Azrobert & Gigcass for such helpful & informative replies !!

Agent88

How about a little more info?  How would I use an old Sprint phone?  If I turn it on, it will just search for Sprint service.  How would I disable that?   Or maybe this only applies to an unlocked phone....?  And then, how would I connect it to my LAN? via a USB cable?

giqcass

Quote from: Agent88 on January 31, 2015, 05:34:07 PM
How about a little more info?  How would I use an old Sprint phone?  If I turn it on, it will just search for Sprint service.  How would I disable that?   Or maybe this only applies to an unlocked phone....?  And then, how would I connect it to my LAN? via a USB cable?

We are referring to Android phones in this post.  The carrier does not matter.  You would connect to your LAN via WiFi.  In addition I personally first put the phone in "airplane mode" and then manually turn on WiFi.  That stops the phone from wasting the battery looking for cell service.  If you have a particular phone give us the model number and we will try to help.

ipse

T-E-N D-O-L-L-A-R-S for a KitKat dual-core? This is insane....but then again I live in Canada, never seen something like that.
The Obi solution described is elegant, but for the occasional call and if you don't mind having to deal with (yet)  another number, I found that GrooveIP with Ring.To (or if you have the old client, still working with GV) yields very good call quality and not much battery drain. A simple alternative...

I remember this was a hot topic in the day at XDA where people discovered the T-Mobile 30$/6GB+100min plans and the beauty of free calls. Now data is king and voice calls are almost a free give away by telcos.
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain

QBZappy

Quote from: giqcass on January 31, 2015, 05:46:27 PM
In addition I personally first put the phone in "airplane mode" and then manually turn on WiFi.  That stops the phone from wasting the battery looking for cell service.  ...

@gigcass
Good tip for saving the battery. I didn't realize the wifi could work in "airplane" mode. I had never tried it.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

giqcass

There is a new program called Granstream Wave available for Android.  It might be a good fit for this.

EDIT: Seems easy to set up and feature packed.

lhm.

On the Coolpad5560S I get, "This app is incompatible with your device." + "No carrier", when trying to download Grandstream Wave. Any ideas why?

TIA

Edit, OS is 4.4.2  CsipSimple works well.

vtsnaab

http://www.grandstream.com/index.php/products/ip-voice-telephony/ip-pbx-solutions/wave
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.softphone

Grandstream Wave is a FREE softphone application that allows users to make and receive voice calls through their business or residential SIP accounts on any Android™ device (version 4.0+) from anywhere in the world. This application supports integration of up to 6 SIP accounts, 6-way voice conferencing, and allows users to monitor their PBX (such as Grandstream's UCM6100 series IP PBX & UCM6510 IP PBX) while utilizing speed dial with up to 24 virtual BLF keys. Grandstream Wave also supports advanced SIP telephony features including call transfer, LDAP phonebook integration and more. With Grandstream Wave, business and residential users always have access to their SIP lines and can easily keep in touch with business or personal contacts without using expensive cellular data plans.

* SIP-based softphone
    * Requires Android 4.0+
    * Supports G.711µ/a, G.722 (HD-audio), G.726-32, GSM, iLBC, Opus and Speex codecs
    * Strong security features including SIP over TLS and 128/256-bit SRTP
    * Supports 6 SIP accounts, up to 6-way audio conference, and 24 virtual BLF keys
    * Native integration with mobile devices including contact, call history and ringtones.
    * Enterprise features including IP PBX integration, BLF, call transfer/pickup, call recording with UCM, LDAP
    * Automatic call forwarding based on time and location rules
    * Voice channel switching between Bluetooth, earphone, speakerphone & 3.5mm headset

lhm.

Thru 3/3/15 at Kroger stores. Another use for the Coolpad is "Nokia - Here" has just released down loadable GPS maps for andriod. You may need a microSD for storage of maps.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps&hl=en