News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

changing to voip

Started by colleenz, December 21, 2014, 12:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colleenz

i want to get rid of my land line & move to voip & my cell phone.
I've read so much about this that I've wound up totally confused. At first I was going to go with Google Voice but this am. I read about Hangouts
working with GV. I had never heard about Hangouts before & am not at all interested in a chat program. I still have my land line & am currently using my Obi200 with Vestalink (was Obivoice) but starting on the 27th Jan. they are doubling their rates: my telephone usage doesn't warranty
the new rates, so now I'm not sure who to go with. I do want to keep my land line number. I just want inbound & outbound pay as you go & porting my number. It sounds so simple & yet the more I read the more confused I get. I don't understand all the acronyms either which doesn't  help.  Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Colleen

ceg3

I'm using Google Voice and porting to them is a bear, so I'll the others help you decide on one of the other services.  I just wanted another chance to point out that Vestalink will be shedding many users early next year.  I had a "locked in" rate of 39.99 for unlimited, but they broke that contract and raised me to 89.99, so my service with them will lapse soon.  I currently have that number permanently forward to my Google Voice number.  They stated the can't afford to honor their agreements, because Google Voice didn't go away, but I think they are shooting themselves in the foot big time alienating current customers that won't repeat.

zorlac

Porting a landline # to RingTo was pretty painless & free if you'd like to keep your old #.
If a new # isn't a problem for you (and you have a gmail account) straight up GV works fine for me.
I don't use hangouts either.

SteveInWA

Colleen:

You now have service from Vestalink, and you apparently also have a separate land line phone number, or did you mean that the Vestalink number and you OBi box serve as your landline service provider (your conventional telephone is plugged into your OBi, which uses Vestalink)?

The next steps depend on whether you have two numbers (a land line number from some other provider, like your local telephone or cable company, AND Vestalink), or you just have one number.  If you have two numbers, decide which one you want to keep.  Then, if that's Vestalink, port it into a different Internet Telephone Service Provider (ITSP).  If it's a different telephone company, port THAT number into an ITSP.

The number porting process will cancel service on the old carrier (either Vestalink or the other provider).  Do NOT cancel service yourself on the number being ported, or else you will permanently lose the right to port that number.

However, if you did have two telephone numbers, and you ported in the non-Vestalink number, then you will need to cancel service yourself with Vestalink.

After your number is ported over, then you can set up that new provider on your OBi box, instead of Vestalink.  You'll need to delete your OBi device off of the OBiTALK web portal page, factory reset the OBi by dialing ***8, or pressing the reset button with a paper clip, and then add the OBi box back to the web portal, and select and configure your new ITSP on the box.  It's easy to do from the portal, which will automatically configure your device depending on the ITSP you select.

You'll get a variety of opinions here on the forum, but the two carriers that offer the "sweet spot" of reliability, flexible pricing and customer support are Callcentric and voip.ms.  Both offer a la carte inbound and outbound calling service.

Taoman

You'll get a variety of opinions here on the forum, but the two carriers that offer the "sweet spot" of reliability, flexible pricing and customer support are Callcentric and voip.ms.  Both offer a la carte inbound and outbound calling service.

As a rule, I would advise against rushing to port your number out to a carrier you have little or no experience with. However, I can certainly understand your desire to port out from Vestalink. Glad I got off that sinking ship months ago. I certainly concur with Steve's two choices as possible carriers to choose from.

I just last week ported an old landline to VoIP.ms. So far I have been very impressed. Feature rich and reasonably priced with geographically dispersed SIP/POP servers. They are currently running a holiday promotional which includes numbers you port in. Also, porting of U.S. numbers is currently free. It took 3 business days for my number to be ported over.

I would not dismiss Google Voice, however. I don't know what you've read about Hangouts but Google Voice is now officially supported by Obihai and Google and works reasonably well for most people. I would never recommend it as someone's primary/only source of telephony but if you also have a cell phone that works reliably in your home I would certainly consider it.

colleenz

Hmmm, Have to read some more about GV. I have hooked up with voip.ms & am pleased. I find the voip.ms user page more difficult to navigate than Vestalink. I'm new to the voip service & without help from this forum, would have no idea what I was doing. Of course could be that I have CRS.