News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Panasonic cordless phone low/no audio

Started by crazyk4952, May 27, 2011, 08:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyk4952

I just purchased a OBi100 for use with voip.ms and GV to replace a failing PAP2T ATA. I have a Panasonic DECT cordless phone plugged into it and am having a problem with the audio. Basically, the other party can't hear me unless I shout into the receiver. If i am talking in a normal tone of voice, either no audio is sent through OR it sounds like I am far away.

Steps that I have tried:

1) Disabled all codecs except for G711U Codec. I have explicitly unchecked silence suppression for this codec.

2) Under 'phone port' I have done the following:
set ChannelTxGain to 10.
set SilenceDetectSensitivity to high and low (did not have any affect).

3) If I use a corded phone, then there is no problem at all and I am heard just fine. However, I know the cordless phone is not at fault since worked just fine with my PAP2T.

RonR

Quote from: crazyk4952 on May 27, 2011, 08:59:34 AM
3) If I use a corded phone, then there is no problem at all and I am heard just fine.

Doesn't this pretty much exonerate the OBi?

SteveInWA

Weird.  It does seem that the Panasonic phone has gone bad, since as you said, and Ron pointed out, the OBi works fine with a different phone.  I also have a Panasonic DECT phone plugged into my OBi, along with a Uniden 5.8GHz, and a couple of corded phones.  All work fine, and all have about the same mic volume (the level that the other party hears when I speak).

Two simple possibilities:  1) some liquid or solid crud got into the Panasonic's microphone hole.  These mics self-destruct if they get any cleaner (like alcohol, etc) on them (I learned this the hard way).  2) you're using a headset plugged into the Panasonic, and it's mic impedance is mismatched to the phone.

Can you plug the Panasonic into some other working phone system and try it again?

Also:  there is a mistake in the current OBi firmware with regard to the labels on the Tx and Rx gain settings.  They're reversed on the OBiTalk and device config webpages.  It's confusing, but the correct name for the setting that controls the level of the amplifier that receives the sound from your phone's mic, and sends it out over the line, is ChannelRxGain, not ChannelTxGain (hover over the ? to see the correct definitions).  OBi support acknowledged this to me and plans to fix it in a future firmware release.  Meanwhile, you did (accidentally) adjust the correct value upward.

See attached screenshot for the gain values that work for me (YMMV).

crazyk4952

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 27, 2011, 01:46:17 PM
Also:  there is a mistake in the current OBi firmware with regard to the labels on the Tx and Rx gain settings.  They're reversed on the OBiTalk and device config webpages.  It's confusing, but the correct name for the setting that controls the level of the amplifier that receives the sound from your phone's mic, and sends it out over the line, is ChannelRxGain, not ChannelTxGain (hover over the ? to see the correct definitions).  OBi support acknowledged this to me and plans to fix it in a future firmware release.  Meanwhile, you did (accidentally) adjust the correct value upward.

Ha that's it! After adjusting the ChannelTxGain to 10 and the ChannelRxGain to 0 it seems to work OK now.

RonR

Quote from: crazyk4952 on May 27, 2011, 08:59:34 AM
2) Under 'phone port' I have done the following:
set ChannelTxGain to 10.

Quote from: crazyk4952 on May 27, 2011, 04:04:14 PM
Ha that's it! After adjusting the ChannelTxGain to 10 and the ChannelRxGain to 0 it seems to work OK now.

I wonder why it didn't work the first tine?  (ChannelRxGain is 0 by default)

crazyk4952

I'm not sure. I just two test calls and it seems to be working. I'll place a few more calls tonight and see if it's still working.