News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Choppy voice

Started by South, February 05, 2015, 12:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

South

I have changed nothing, and I don't see any obi100 firmware updates. Once a week a caller would say my voice was breaking up. I'd hang up, and upon pressing talk again, there would be buzzing. I'd unplug the obi, and I'd be fine for a week. It stopped happening for a while. Now, every caller hears choppiness. I can hear them just fine. No amount of resetting the obi works. Echo tests are all choppy, even when disabling some of the higher bandwidth codecs... except when I put the router in IP Passthrough mode to the obi IP address. That's all fine and good, but I can't use remote desktop anymore, which is way more important. I've included pictures. Thanks for any help.

obi: obi100
sip: google voice
obi ip: static
service: uverse business 6 up / 3/4 down
router: att uverse motorola nvg510
lan/computer setup:
-port 1 - out to server, public static ip routing to internal static ip
-port 2 - out to switch which connects to two computers and a wifi router in bridge mode that connects a couple other computers and the obi before the problems
-port 3 - out to obi, now that there are problems

Voip Test:
-Test Type:   Voice over IP
-Downstream Jitter:   0.2 ms
-Downstream Loss:   0 %
-Downstream Packet Order:   100 %
-Upstream Jitter:   172.3 ms
-Upstream Loss:   0.2 %
-Upstream Packet Order:   100.0 %
-Packet Discards:   34.2 %
-MOS Score:   1.1
-4 connection problems found, click the  to learn more.
--MVJT01: Jitter is too high and will cause poor voice quality.
--MVJD01: Bandwidth probably too low to support high-quality VoIP.
--MVLS01: Packet loss has been detected.
--MVLS02: Packet discards may have been detected.

202Owner

Seems like a lot of router setup just to pass a little ol' SIP stream.

>>I have changed nothing,

Then maybe something is failing.

>>Once a week a caller would say my voice was breaking up. I'd hang up, and upon pressing talk again, there would be buzzing.

Are you on a cordless phone?  Have you tried a working corded phone?

>>No amount of resetting the obi works. Echo tests are all choppy, even when disabling some of the higher bandwidth codecs... except when I put the router in IP Passthrough mode to the obi IP address. That's all fine and good, but I can't use remote desktop anymore, which is way more important.

So, a router setting fixes it.  I disabled SIP Passthrough on my router to fix one-way audio.

Why all the custom Obihai services set in the firewall?

Sorry, I'm just sort of kicking it around...

South

Eh, port 2 is basically going to the wall so that all the plug in ethernet outlets work.

There's no SIP passthrough option on this not so good router. IP passtrough was turned off before this started. None of the custom services were there before this started. I'm on a cordless phone. I just tried a different cordless on speaker (from the base) and that worked fine(ish?.) There has to be some port to be some combination of forwarded or allowed ports that will make this work correctly  :-\ Thanks for your input thus far.

202Owner

>>Eh, port 2 is basically going to the wall so that all the plug in ethernet outlets work.

Perhaps you mean OBi202 PHONE port2 is connected to an RJ11 wall jack to energize the house tel wiring.  I hope the house tel wiring is disconnected from any other sources like the outside landline and AT&T service.

>>IP passtrough was turned off before this started. None of the custom services were there before this started.

I doubt any of this is required.

>>I'm on a cordless phone. I just tried a different cordless on speaker (from the base) and that worked fine(ish?.)

So, a different phone on the same OBi  works fine?

>>There has to be some port to be some combination of forwarded or allowed ports that will make this work correctly.

I don't know your router, but I don't think you need to be forwarding ports or setting firewall rules to route SIP traffic to and from the Internet.  At most, you might set QoS to reserve priority bandwidth for the SIP traffic, but I've not had to do this.

>>Packet Discards:   34.2 %

This can't be good!

South

port 2 of the uverse modem.

The speaker phone is good(ish) because I noticed that when I was doing the echo tests, things were better when you're basically eating the mic. I can't fully trust the cordless/speaker base combo. I want to do some more testing with the passthrough, but there are people remoted in right now, and even if that works fine, I don't know why this stupid router or stupid me for lack of the knowhow can't let the rdp/vpn traffic in. There is no QOS settings on this router.

South

Upstream jitter    0.0 ms
Downstream jitter    0.3 ms
Upstream packet loss    0.0 %
Downstream packet loss    0.0 %
Upstream packet order    100.0 %
Downstream packet order    100.0 %
Packet discards    0.0 %
MOS    4.1

with ip passthrough to the obi or any other non used ip... but no rdp/vpn. ugh.

knightofmars

I was having this exact same problem with AT&T and the exact same router/modem (NVG510).  I ended up buying a  separate router with the thought that it was the AT&T hardware causing the issue.  Turns out it was.  After putting the new router in place my call quality instantly improved (my streaming video is better now too). I suspect it is the QoS (Quality of Service) tuning that the router is doing to prioritize the packets over the network.  Or it may just be beefier hardware in general.  Either way, it fixed the issue.

Here's the router model I purchased:
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C5-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B00JZFG6QS

Here's my network setup:
OLD SETUP
NVG510 -> ObiHai200 -> Panasonic Phone

NEW SETUP
NVG510 -> TP-LINK ARCHER C5 -> ObiHai200 -> Panasonic Phone