News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Issue of GV Voicemail feature when both ends are Obi phones.

Started by valley_nomad, February 10, 2015, 12:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valley_nomad

I have one Obi100 and one Obi202 in my Obitalk account. I recently found that I can no longer use GV voicemail feature between the phones connected with these two boxes. There is the silence in the calling phone when the GV greeting is supposed to be playbacked. GV will not register the incoming call at all -- i.e. there is no "missed call" message in the receiving GV account. The connection will be cut after about one minute of silence. However, the GV voicemail feature works fine when receiving calls made from other non-Obi phones. I also found that I can not talk between two GV phones connected with the same OBi202. One rings then another calls. But nothing can be heard on either end after the connection is established between them. Two boxes all have the latest firmware update. Are these known issues? Or is there anything I can do to resolve them?

TarHeelBlue

I have experienced the same issue. My friend has an Obi202 setup with a GV number and I have an Obi202 with a GV number. Until sometime yesterday we were able to call each other with no problems. Now, when we try to call each other, the phone will ring, but when the other person picks up we are unable to talk to each other. It appears that the call has connected, but you can't hear the other person. Tried updating both boxes to the latest firmware, but it didn't help.

To troubleshoot, I tried calling from my Obi GV number to another GV number that forwards to my cell phone. Same issue. Call rings and appear to connect, but you can't hear anything.

Next, I tried taking Obi out of the equation. I tried initiating a call from Gchat to another GV number that forwards to my cell phone. The same thing happened. The call rings, but when I answer I can't hear anything from the other line.

It seems to be something Google has done that you can't call from one GV number to another GV number any longer, at least in Gchat/forwarding mode. I don't know if this is a mistake or if they did this on purpose because they think you should be able to do this in Hangouts now.

I guess the solution for me and my friend is just to call each other's Obi box directly rather than doing it through GV, which works fine i suppose. But it is unfortunate that if someone tries calling my Obi GV number from a GV number, or if I try to call their GV number, it just isn't going to work unless Google decides to fix this.

TarHeelBlue

UPDATE: Google Voice to Google Voice calls now appear to be working again. I guess Google fixed the problem.

valley_nomad

Yes, it looks like that Google was the culprit of the problem that wasted about one hour of my time >:(

SteveInWA

You can ask Google to refund one hour of its service cost in return.

Rick

Ain't in great how Google changes things without notice, features stop working and there's no where to see a status, there's no one to contact to inform them with acknowledgement they know of the problem...

Yes, it's a free service.  And when you post about the problems you have you're guaranteed to get a response like "well, it's free, what do you want" or "ask them for your money back".

If Google is going to provide a SERVICE, even if the service is free, they need to provide SERVICE.  Their approach of F you if you don't like it, coupled with that of volunteers that provide support that Google doesn't, is disturbing.

You can't provide a service and then tell the recipients of that service nothing.  That's not service.

LTN1

Fair enough. But we find out right from the start through the GV forum that there aren't any live or direct support. The only support, if you can call it that, is via the forum by volunteers doing their best. People can decide pretty early on if they want to continue the free or almost free service. People can say F U Google Voice and not use any free service. People can vote with their feet so to speak.

Quote from: Rick on February 15, 2015, 06:41:52 AM
Ain't in great how Google changes things without notice, features stop working and there's no where to see a status, there's no one to contact to inform them with acknowledgement they know of the problem...

Yes, it's a free service.  And when you post about the problems you have you're guaranteed to get a response like "well, it's free, what do you want" or "ask them for your money back".

If Google is going to provide a SERVICE, even if the service is free, they need to provide SERVICE.  Their approach of F you if you don't like it, coupled with that of volunteers that provide support that Google doesn't, is disturbing.

You can't provide a service and then tell the recipients of that service nothing.  That's not service.