News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

answer PSTN line or join existing PSTN call

Started by rob613@gmail.com, May 29, 2011, 10:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob613@gmail.com

I have other phones on my PSTN line.   The best phone for some family members is connected to the Obi110.
Is there a code, or one you can add in a future firmware, to take the PSTN line off hook?
This would allow me to join an existing PSTN call from the phone normally connected to the Obi110.
It might also allow me to remotely join a PSTN call, or even answer a ringing PSTN line, from a remote connection.
For example if I call through SIP to SIP as a trusted caller and enter my PIN code I could dial out a call from my PSTN line, but I don't know if I can bridge my virtual call to the existing PSTN line call, either to answer the ringing line or to join a call that is already in place, features I would very much like to have.

jimates

Although support was added with a firmware update, I looked through the Admin Guide but found nothing for it.

Additional Features in 1.2
•IP & URL Dialing with Target Service Distinction
- IP Address and/or URL dialing is supported.
- Calls to specified IP addresses and/or URLs can be routed to a target service.
- For example: SP1(sip.xyz.com:5081) or SP2(192.168.15.118)
•"Double" Hook Flash support for more flexible control of PSTN-based in-call services, e.g. Call Waiting.
•Robust PSTN connection detection to allow for more accurate billable calling events.
Optional PHONE port "barge-in" support allows an OBi user to enter a call taking place on the LINE port by selecting a key on the telephone keypad.
•Added support for up to 20 user defined digit maps which can be referenced in any OBi digit map and/or call routing rule

ProfTech

The barge in feature in 2283 or 2286 works fine. Simply make sure it is checked in the set up. If you press # from the phone connected to Obi and someone is already using the PSTN you are simply added to the call. No other special buttons to press at all.

RonR

Quote from: ProfTech on May 30, 2011, 05:00:51 PM
The barge in feature in 2283 or 2286 works fine. Simply make sure it is checked in the set up. If you press # from the phone connected to Obi and someone is already using the PSTN you are simply added to the call. No other special buttons to press at all.

I have:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> EnableLINEPortBargeIn : (checked)

but if I press # from the telephone connected to the OBi's PHONE Port when the OBi's LINE Port is already in use, I get "There is no service available to complete your call."

I'm running SoftwareVersion 1.2.1 (Build: 2309M2482CC9C May 19 14:43:20 PDT 2011).  I wonder if EnableLINEPortBargeIn got broken in this release?

Obihai, would you please comment on this?

obi-support2

Please elaborate in what way is your "LINE Port is already in use". How was it being used?
OBIHAI Support Staff

RonR

Quote from: obi-support2 on May 31, 2011, 12:50:03 PM
Please elaborate in what way is your "LINE Port is already in use". How was it being used?

An incoming call on SP2 was bridged to an outgoing call on the LINE Port.

obi-support2

OBi only allows barge into a PSTN call by another phone (not connected to the OBI) sharing the PSTN line.

Your case is not supported by design.
OBIHAI Support Staff

RonR

That's not clear from the description:

• Optional PHONE port "barge-in" support allows an OBi user to enter a call taking place on the LINE port by selecting a key on the telephone keypad.

Thanks for the clarification.

jimates

Quote from: obi-support2 on May 31, 2011, 01:06:11 PM
OBi only allows barge into a PSTN call by another phone (not connected to the OBI) sharing the PSTN line.

Your case is not supported by design.

The other phone is not connected to the Obi but is connected to the PSTN line (along with the Obi). I would think the Obi has no control over what happens on the PSTN line AHEAD of the Obi.

RonR

It appears the OBi's logic goes something like this when you press #:

Is the OBi using the LINE Port internally?

Yes  ->  "There is no service available to complete your call."

Is the LINE Port voltage below LineInUseVoltageThreshold (a phone connected to the LINE Port is off-hook)?

No  ->  Bridge PHONE Port to LINE Port

Is EnableLINEPortBargeIn checked?

No  ->  "There is no service available to complete your call."

Bridge PHONE Port to LINE Port

nextbgates95

Sorry to dig something old up...

Here is my setup:  I'm using the OBi110 as an FXO port to asterisk on SP1.  I get an incoming call on the LINE port.  It rings to my asterisk extension.  I answer the asterisk extension.  Then, someone else wants to talk to the caller on the LINE.  They pick up the phone, connected to the PHONE port, and press #.  "No services are available to complete your call". 

I want to be able to pick up the PHONE, press #, and be connected to the LINE. I have EnableLINEPortBargeIn checked. 

Any help?

RonR

If the OBi's LINE Port and another telephone are both plugged into the same device you're calling 'my asterisk extension' and it's this other telephone you're answering first, I believe pressing # on the OBi's telephone should 'Barge in' on the existing call.  Double-check that EnableLINEPortBargeIn is checked.

nextbgates95

I have double checked the EnableLinePortBargeIn is enabled... no dice.  My firmware version is : 1.2.1 (Build: 2289).

Pressing # on the OBi PHONE bridges the PHONE and LINE ports if LINE is not in use.  I can hear a different dialtone (the PSTN dialtone) by pressing #, if there is no call.

Not sure if this is helpful at all.

RonR

Quote from: nextbgates95 on June 20, 2011, 08:35:31 PM
I have double checked the EnableLinePortBargeIn is enabled... no dice.

Are you checking this in the OBi itself (logged into the IP addressed returned by dialing ***1)?

My firmware version is : 1.2.1 (Build: 2289).

I just tested it on 1.2.1 (Build: 2384) and it's working fine on this version.

Pressing # on the OBi PHONE bridges the PHONE and LINE ports if LINE is not in use.  I can hear a different dialtone (the PSTN dialtone) by pressing #, if there is no call.

Is the LINE Port of the OBi connected to the same pair of wires that the telephone you call 'my asterisk extension' is connected to?

nextbgates95

Yes, checking via the local IP address for the OBi.

No.  The LINE port is connected to my local telco's line.  My Asterisk server is connected to the OBi as SP1.  'My Asterisk Extension' connects to the Asterisk server.  Here's what happens when I get a call from the telco:

Telco --> OBi (LINE) --> SP1 --> Asterisk --> My extension.

I want to be able to connect to the call, ongoing between Asterisk and LINE, by picking up the PHONE connected to OBi.

RonR

The OBi can only barge in on a call that's present on the LINE Port pair which does not involve the use of the OBi's LINE Port.

nextbgates95

Is this a technical limitation of the device or something that is just not supported?

RonR

It's probably just a matter of not being supported.

Ostracus

Quote from: RonR on June 20, 2011, 09:02:17 PM
The OBi can only barge in on a call that's present on the LINE Port pair which does not involve the use of the OBi's LINE Port.

It sounds by itself the barge in feature is of limited usability. "Barge in" would only apply in either two Obi110's having a LINE port in common, OR an Obi110 and a regular phone with LINE ports in common. But most cordless multi-handset phones already have a conference capability which is effectively the same as "Barge in".

RonR

Ostracus,

LINE Port Barge In allows a phone connected to the OBi's PHONE Port to barge in on a call that's present on the OBi's LINE Port, but only if the OBi is not involved in that call (i.e. the LINE Port is not already in use).