News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Home to Office Phone System Extension Wizard problem

Started by krpan, May 29, 2011, 12:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krpan

Setup: OBi110 and OBi100 using current firmware 1.2.1(2286). OBi110 was already in service for a few months and OBi100 was brand new out of the box, both devices registered under the same ObiTALK account.

I tried using the Home to Office Phone System Extension Wizard and I encountered one issue... when call was received on OBi110's LINE port, instead PHONE ports on both units ringing, OBi100's AA answered the call.

I had to manually remove {(XXXXXXXXX):aa}, (where XXXXXXXXX is OBi110's number), leaving only {ph} , from ObiTALK Service's InboundCallRoute value before the call would ring through to the PHONE port on OBi100.

I realize that the issue arose due the fact that I did not change the Auto Provisioning method to Disabled (under System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> Auto Provisioning -> Method) on OBi100 and OBi110 prior to registering OBi100 with ObiTALK (will this even work? i.e. will OBi unit be allowed to register with OBiTALK if Auto Provisioning is disabled?). So, once OBi100 was registered it automatically became part of same Circle of Trust as OBi110 resulting in my issue.

Bottom line, it appears the wizard will not create desired results if the OBi units are part of the same Circle of Trust prior to disabling auto provisioning, thus requiring manual edit of ObiTALK Service's InboundCallRoute on the Home OBi. At the least some warning to the effect should be listed in the wizard's set-up directions.

Maybe it could be said that last sentence listed under requirements, prior to invoking the wizards and reaching the set-up directions, could be construed to address the above issue. I, however, found it to be too vague and puzzling as it is.

Sentence in question is: Please be advised this wizard should not be used in conjunction with OBiTALK portal device management

I suspect a large number of non-expert users will not know what that sentence means, much less know how to disable auto provisioning without instruction. E.g. does sentence mean that OBi units must not be registered (with OBiTALK). And if so, should that be the case only when wizard is run or anytime before wizard is run. Can it be registered anytime after wizard is completed? At a minimum a line in the set-up directions instructing user where to go to disable or check the current setting of auto provisioning should be present (or have wizard modify that automatically). Or maybe wizard could check the auto provisioning setting, and if not disabled issue a warning? And maybe a warning if wizard finds that OBiTALK service's InboundCallRoute is not set to the default value of ph

Finally, now that OBiTALK has an interface for Expert Configuration, wizard could be adapted to make the changes in OBiTALK Expert Configuration area if auto provisioning is enabled, and on the OBi's themselves (like it does now) if auto provisioning is disabled.

Anyway, enough of my rambling and back to finding what other cool stuff I can do with OBi's  ;D (ordered two more today from Amazon)

jimates

I have never used the office phone setup but it is true that when the Obi100 was added to the COT it automatically got added to the inboundcallroute for the Obi110, and hence was directed to the aa.

It would be assumed that the office phone setup configuration would compensate for the COT. Perhaps this is a bug and should be addressed. Send a not to support@obihai.com and link to this thread.

With the expert configuration available most users won't need to use the web interface and turn off auto provisioning. We recently made note that if you turn off auto provisioning there is no way to manage a device remotely using the expert config. Once the provisioning is turned off the only way to mange is from the device's web interface, and that can't be done remotely (at least not without port forwarding configurations).