News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obihai bricked my Obi110

Started by Tor2626, September 05, 2014, 03:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeattleRod

Quote from: PeteMoss on September 12, 2014, 03:26:19 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on September 06, 2014, 06:21:02 PM
As soon as I added the device to the dashboard on obitalk, and tried to set "disable" on the auto firmware update (obitalk dashboard has it set to "periodically" by default), it went back to recovery mode with the alternating green/red lights. Is Obihai intentionally sabotaging people with old 100/110 models and intentionally bricking their devices? Because this seems like the case for me.

No, it's not a conspiracy.  My 110 works fine, as do thousands of others.  You'd see a s**tstorm of posts here if it was some evil deed.

I don't think anyone mentioned this already, but based on your symptom above, did you actually completely delete the device from the OBiTALK dashboard before adding it again, as a new device?  This would kick off the device discovery procedure, whereby you would key in ***5 on the attached telephone, and OBiTALK would find it, remotely reset it to default, and add it to your dashboard.  It would not copy any locally-configured settings from the device, and it would not write any previously-configured bad settings to the device

If you didn't do that, then OBiTALK may be overwriting bad information onto your 110, from a previous setup.

If you DID do that, then you have a bad device.

I don't consider their response to be "bad customer service".  Your device is out of warranty, and, just like any other consumer product, the cost of repair or replacement is your responsibility.  You may be able to buy a new power adapter from them, if it's suspect, and you don't happen to have a compatible adapter laying around.

Otherwise, you can get a brand new OBi 200 for $48.89 from Amazon.  Considering how much time you've spent troubleshooting, I'd say it's worth it.

Why would they send you to Amazon when you can get the OBi200 at New Egg for $30 using the promo code on their OBi200 web page(?) The sale ends 9/14.

Well, I just got my OBi200 for $30.  Now have 7 hours in trying to get it to work.   Customer support (oxymoron) is trying same things I tried over my hours and hours.  Currently they went from communicating with me via email (God forbid a phone call - ultimate ironly) every 3 minutes to going silent and possibly giving up on my one day old device. 

LeoKing

Quote from: SeattleRod on December 31, 2014, 02:36:31 PM
Well, I just got my OBi200 for $30.  Now have 7 hours in trying to get it to work.   Customer support (oxymoron) is trying same things I tried over my hours and hours.  Currently they went from communicating with me via email (God forbid a phone call - ultimate ironly) every 3 minutes to going silent and possibly giving up on my one day old device. 

What's the problem with your OBi200? I also got 3 OBi200's on 2 recent Newegg sales for $30ea shipped and they've been working great.

SteveInWA

Quote from: SeattleRod on December 31, 2014, 02:36:31 PM
Quote from: PeteMoss on September 12, 2014, 03:26:19 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on September 06, 2014, 06:21:02 PM
As soon as I added the device to the dashboard on obitalk, and tried to set "disable" on the auto firmware update (obitalk dashboard has it set to "periodically" by default), it went back to recovery mode with the alternating green/red lights. Is Obihai intentionally sabotaging people with old 100/110 models and intentionally bricking their devices? Because this seems like the case for me.

No, it's not a conspiracy.  My 110 works fine, as do thousands of others.  You'd see a s**tstorm of posts here if it was some evil deed.

I don't think anyone mentioned this already, but based on your symptom above, did you actually completely delete the device from the OBiTALK dashboard before adding it again, as a new device?  This would kick off the device discovery procedure, whereby you would key in ***5 on the attached telephone, and OBiTALK would find it, remotely reset it to default, and add it to your dashboard.  It would not copy any locally-configured settings from the device, and it would not write any previously-configured bad settings to the device

If you didn't do that, then OBiTALK may be overwriting bad information onto your 110, from a previous setup.

If you DID do that, then you have a bad device.

I don't consider their response to be "bad customer service".  Your device is out of warranty, and, just like any other consumer product, the cost of repair or replacement is your responsibility.  You may be able to buy a new power adapter from them, if it's suspect, and you don't happen to have a compatible adapter laying around.

Otherwise, you can get a brand new OBi 200 for $48.89 from Amazon.  Considering how much time you've spent troubleshooting, I'd say it's worth it.

Why would they send you to Amazon when you can get the OBi200 at New Egg for $30 using the promo code on their OBi200 web page(?) The sale ends 9/14.

Rather than just rant, "God forbid" you could calmly reply with some usable information to help us troubleshoot your problem.  We can't read your mind.  Which service provider are you trying to use, Google Voice, or a SIP provider like Anveo, Callcentric, Phonepower, etc?  What steps did you take?  What behavior did you observe?  What lights are doing what, in what colors?  And, so forth.

drgeoff

Why do you think your OBi is bricked? Or if you don't, why post in this thread?

Rodman

After firmware update my OBI100 wouldn't work anymore.  I couldn't reinstall google voice connection. Well after 2 days  it is working now. First - google voice must have a gmail address not some other email.  Next google mail must have chat - in gmail click the phone icon to make a call, make call, then click more option and add chat .  Then remove device on Obi account and reinstall. Without gmail address could not connect sp1.  Without chat I could dial out - always got a busy.  I hope this helps.