News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Any good sites explaining OBI or having examples?

Started by N1KMP, February 19, 2015, 07:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N1KMP

The Device Admin Guide is very thorough but it is kinda like trying to set the time using a manual describing how to build an atomic clock. 

So I was thinking there may be some sites that have examples or cut through the details I don't need to worry about at this stage.  I'd be happy with an explanation of the default config.  I learn well from examples and starting with the basics and building

Any suggestions (sites, documents, etc)?

I have the 110 set up to run GV but now I need to bring in the POTS and connect up the inside phones. 

For the experienced, you may know a million things about the OBI products.  For the newbies, they're faced with a million things to learn. :-)

Thanks,
Nick

202Owner

There are some OBi clues on this site:  http://ozarkedge.mypressonline.com/index.htm.

OBi digit map and outbound call route syntax and related OBi objects and a fairly comprehensive dial plan to support the various outbound dialing requirements noted can be studied and cross-referenced to learn how to construct a dial plan the OBi way.

Tango

Quote from: N1KMP on February 19, 2015, 07:11:57 PM
So I was thinking there may be some sites that have examples or cut through the details I don't need to worry about at this stage.  I'd be happy with an explanation of the default config.  I learn well from examples and starting with the basics and building

Any suggestions (sites, documents, etc)?

I have the 110 set up to run GV but now I need to bring in the POTS and connect up the inside phones. 

Depending on which Service Provider you go with, there will be different parameter settings for your OBi110.

E.g.

http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16090
http://wiki.voip.ms/article/OBi_100/110

Note that you then need to register with OBiTALK to configure your OBi device. Then it will override some of the settings, e.g. Digitmap recommended by your specific Service Provider (SP). That said, it is usually working fine having OBiTALK to set your ATA parameter to work with both: your SP and GV.

No need to re-invent the wheel - or try to understand how combustion engine works, learning how to drive is all needed :)!

Use the specific SP recommended setup, then register the OBi device with OBiTALK, is all I needed to do for my OBi ATA.

Hope this helps!

N1KMP

Thanks for the pointers.  This is kinda like learning to code assembly by looking at examples ... in hex :)

I'm making progress and I found a PDF called: "OBI Digitmaps Unravelling the Mysteries"  It is located in the OBiforums but the forum search does not find it.  Google will find the file but not the forum post.  Is seems good and others may find it useful as well ... if they can find it!

One thing that OBi should do is document the behavior of the base configuration(s) in more readable text.  I spent lots of time learning how to do xxxx only to find that the base config may already do it via a different method.

202Owner

Were you able to follow the dial plan example on the site I referenced?

N1KMP

Kinda sorta...Understanding the characters to be used in a map is pretty straight forward, decoding an existing map or rule takes more effort especially when it gets complicated.  There is a lot of back-n-forth between the rule and the syntax until one better understands the syntax.  I posted a suggestion that the OBi folks create a syntax reader/translator for the less capable users.

I have mine running the way I want it (for now).  I know mostly what it does... but I'm not sure I understand what it won't do and that is what can get you in trouble with the spouse :)

Thanks for your site.  A lot of good info there. I need to spend more time on your site and others to get more familiar.  Trouble is that I'll likely only config this device.