News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone to call with-Google Talk option on GV webpage

Started by brav, February 21, 2015, 02:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brav

I want to callback numbers from my messages on GV webpage, and used "phone to call" - google talk in the past. But since Google talk is being changed out for hangouts, I have problems with selecting google talk on GV webpage.  If I change options, then google talk goes missing. I tried making sure I was on old google chat on the email side and also called a number through it, but still don't see the google talk option on GV site anymore.

Anyone else with similar problems/solutions? Thanks!

nlurker

brav, what options did you change that made Google Talk go missing?  I don't want to accidentally do it too!  That callback functionality is critical for me.

SteveInWA

This isn't something that a user caused.  Google intentionally removed the option from the entire system, since it's obsolete and no longer provided for use.  I explained this in great detail in the thread that Taoman linked.

nlurker

Hmm, perhaps we are talking about different things, since I am still using callbacks to Obi/GTalk and it is still working for me today.

I use callbacks to dial from Google Contacts web page, Google Voice Chrome extension, and Google Voice Android app.  Please don't tell me all these will be removed.   :o

BigJim_McD

brav,

This is what I see on my Windows Laptop that has "Google Chat" checked in my Google Voice - Settings  >  Phones configuration that allows calls to my OBi device.

Looking at a Call in Google Voice Call History, there is a "Call" option with a drop down list along with all my forwarding phone numbers.

One of the options that I see  is:  "Phone to Call With" is "Hangouts". 
There is no longer an option to "Call with Google Chat".

With this option I'm able to use Hangouts on my Laptop to originate a call to the phone number in Google Voice Call History. I can also make calls from my Google Contacts List via Hangouts.
BigJimMcD

SteveInWA

As I explained in the lengthy discussion in the linked discussion thread, Google remove the Chat option as a "call with" target when clicking the red and white CALL button on the Google Voice web page, and removed Chat as a target for recording voicemail greetings.  Here's the announcement:

https://productforums.google.com/d/topic/voice/NrdW6JS1I_o/discussion

brav

Quote from: nlurker on February 21, 2015, 05:31:44 PM
brav, what options did you change that made Google Talk go missing?  I don't want to accidentally do it too!  That callback functionality is critical for me.

do not change "phone to call with" on your GV page-that's mistake i made.

up to yesterday, instead of "google chat" appearing, it showed my email address on the "phone to call with" which worked at initiating callback to my obitalk phone.

as workaround i'm using a free Callcentric DID, which is linked to my obi box, as my callback number.

SteveInWA

Quote from: brav on February 22, 2015, 09:42:09 PM
Quote from: nlurker on February 21, 2015, 05:31:44 PM

do not change "phone to call with" on your GV page-that's mistake i made.

up to yesterday, instead of "google chat" appearing, it showed my email address on the "phone to call with" which worked at initiating callback to my obitalk phone.

as workaround i'm using a free Callcentric DID, which is linked to my obi box, as my callback number.

I don't know how I can make this any clearer:  you didn't make a mistake that made this go away.  The option has been removed, permanently, by Google, as explained previously.