News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help! Setting up Google Voice on new OBi

Started by distressedone, March 01, 2015, 12:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

distressedone

-Setup did not allow phone calls in or out-
Status LED's  Power:solid grn/Internet:flickering grn/Phone:solid grn
OBIHAI Dashboard SP1: Google Voice-status connected
Latest Software 3.0.1
Test Feedback call**9222222222: working
New dedicated GV account that made test call from Cell through GV to Landline.

Don't see OBi in my GV/Phones.  No Forwards Calls To # in GV.  Should I have been logged off GV during setup?  How should I start the Setup process over?  Any other settings in GV that might help?                                          Thank you for your time

lrosenman

Do you see "Google Chat" as a Forwarding destination on the Google Voice Account?

If not, make a call via GMail.

Then check the box.

distressedone

Do not see Google Chat as a Forwarding Dest. in GV.
Made a call from Gmail using Hangouts.  What box to check? Don't Know how to phone using  Google Chat.

lrosenman

you need to revert to the old chat for at least one call.

distressedone

Reverted to Google Chat.
Made call.
Checked Forward To Google Chat.
What should I do next?

lrosenman

calls to your Google Voice number should now ring the phone(s) attached to your Obi.

As well, calls from the phone(s) on the Obi should go out via Google Voice, assuming that's the SP you have set up.

distressedone

Your the man!  I don't get it but it works know.  Wish I could change my UN handle now.
Thank you so much.

lrosenman

You are welcome.  The way the Obi works is as a CHAT client to Google Voice, so therefore to send calls from the Google Voice number, it needs the chat phone enabled as a forwarding destination.

distressedone

Sorry for delay had to shovel snow before cars came home. Great.  During OBi setup I had GV Forward to my old land line # as default from when I did a Google test call.  Not sure if that was a problem for smooth/problem free setup.  I'm using OBi to ring old land line that is now disconnected from utility.  The house phone has a digital answering machine which is mostly the reason for the house phone.  If you would like to offer any other advice I'm all ears.  Thanks again.

francesco

Hi. I'm a newbie also.
I read through these messages, and I think I'm having the same issue, in setting up GV. I can't make or receive calls yet with the GV/OBI200.

In reading the posts, it seems that I have to 'revert' to google chat to make a call, so that my GV connects to my Obi200 correctly. In GV, I can't figure out how to revert to google chat to make that call.

In GV, I can't find how/where to forward calls to my GV number via chat. Frustrated :/

LTN1

Quote from: francesco on March 07, 2015, 05:22:35 AM
Hi. I'm a newbie also.
I read through these messages, and I think I'm having the same issue, in setting up GV. I can't make or receive calls yet with the GV/OBI200.

In reading the posts, it seems that I have to 'revert' to google chat to make a call, so that my GV connects to my Obi200 correctly. In GV, I can't figure out how to revert to google chat to make that call.

In GV, I can't find how/where to forward calls to my GV number via chat. Frustrated :/

Here's how to revert to the old Google chat and make GV work with the OBi. Remember that you have to make at least one call from your GMail account after you revert to Google chat before it shows up in your GV configuration:

https://www.all4os.com/google/quick-trick-for-missing-forwards-calls-to-google-chat-option-in-google-voice-account.html#comment-47718

BigJim_McD

Quote from: LTN1 on March 07, 2015, 06:41:58 AM
Quote from: francesco on March 07, 2015, 05:22:35 AM
.... ... .. having the same issue, in setting up GV. I can't make or receive calls yet with the GV/OBI200.
.... ... .. . In GV, I can't figure out how to revert to google chat to make that call.
.... ... .. . In GV, I can't find how/where to forward calls to my GV number via chat. Frustrated :/

Here's how to revert to the old Google chat and make GV work with the OBi. Remember that you have to make at least one call from your GMail account after you revert to Google chat before it shows up in your GV configuration:

https://www.all4os.com/google/quick-trick-for-missing-forwards-calls-to-google-chat-option-in-google-voice-account.html#comment-47718

LTN1,  Thanks for the Link to: 

"Quick trick for Missing Forwards calls to Google Chat Option in Google Voice Account"

ALL4OS › Google › Quick trick for Missing Forwards calls to Google Chat Option in Google Voice Account  -  Sept 28th, 2014 - HX @ Google

The screen shots and instructions are the best I've seen yet to pass onto the next "Newbie" that are struggling with setting up Google Voice "Chat" to work with an OBi device.

BigJimMcD

LTN1

The only thing I would change about that guide is when it says to make a call first and if it doesn't work, revert to the old chat. I would skip that and just look if there is a "revert to old chat" and make the call after that from GMail.

SteveInWA

The steps to add the Chat forwarding pseudo-phone destination are already in my instructions, here, including a picture:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

I guess I will have to add a couple of new pictures, with arrows, too.   ::)

The instructions on that webpage aren't actually correct.  He's instructing people to make a call using Hangouts.  Hangouts doesn't use the Chat forwarding pseudo-phone, and making a call using Hangouts won't add the Chat phone to the GV settings page.  You need to first revert to Chat, then make the call, and afterwards, you can go back to using Hangouts if you wish.

Is there anything else in my instructions that is unclear (other than the need to actually read them)?

LTN1

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 07, 2015, 07:17:22 PM
The steps to add the Chat forwarding pseudo-phone destination are already in my instructions, here, including a picture:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

I guess I will have to add a couple of new pictures, with arrows, too.   ::)

The instructions on that webpage aren't actually correct.  He's instructing people to make a call using Hangouts.  Hangouts doesn't use the Chat forwarding pseudo-phone, and making a call using Hangouts won't add the Chat phone to the GV settings page.  You need to first revert to Chat, then make the call, and afterwards, you can go back to using Hangouts if you wish.

Is there anything else in my instructions that is unclear (other than the need to actually read them)?

Steve...I actually prefer your instructions...it is much more thorough. However, it seems like some people prefer lots of pictures (even so called self proclaimed IT "professionals" trying to sign on to GV)--hence, I searched the internet for instructions with lots of pictures!

I guess I have to be more compassionate about those who learn better visually--though that is not how I have learned!

SteveInWA

Thanks; when I have time, I will add another picture and expand the screenshot area of the existing picture, to show how to get to that "revert" link.

I wouldn't reference that person's blog, since it's actually incorrect, about using Hangouts.

Jimbo3

I've reverted to google chat, made a call, and thenn checked the "transfer to google chat" option.

Everything seems to be working fine.

Can I now reactivate google hangouts without messing up my obitalk setup?

SteveInWA

Jimbo:  yes.  using Chat is just a one-time procedure to add or re-add the Chat forwarding destination to your Google Voice forwarding phones list.  After doing that, you can go back to using Hangouts.  Note:  Hangouts works independently of the forwarding phone settings in GV, and is not affected by the presence or absence of the Chat destination.

Ringing on a Hangouts client (desktop/laptop/mobile) is controlled by the ring setting in each client.