News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi200 w google voice pre purchase ?'s

Started by skid, March 13, 2015, 05:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skid

Hi all I am new to this forum.  I tried to search and I am sure I missed it but had a couple ?'s about the obi200 and google voice. 

I currently have been using Magic Jack and just tried Net talk...not happy with Nettalk.

If you have the OBI200 and google voice do you always have to leave your computer on with something logged in or do you hook it up just like the MJ+ or NetTalk Duo?

I have heard differing answer to faxes.  We usually send about 5 to 10 a year but MJ is very hit or miss.  How well does this work?  I have HP all in one 6500A Plus.

Can you and how do you call into a conference call someone else has set up?  MJ you can not do this with.  NetTalk you are supposed to be able to but havent tried.

Any recommendations for E911 I have seen a couple but wanted to see some updated responses to how well it works...this is a bit more important to me as before I had a home phone my wife got sick and if I were not home she would of never made it to her cell in the other room and would of never made it. 

Thanks for your responses!
Skid

N7AS

Welcome to the forum.

With an OBi200 and any OBi device, you don't have to have any computer running to use GoogleVoice or any other provider attached to your OBi device.

The OBi200 will work find with faxes as long as you set your fax machines baud rate to 9600.

For a conference call, after you have the first party on the line, you would press "Flash" and receive a second dialtone then dial the second number, and when it answers press"Flash" again and all will be connected.

For E911, it would be best to use Anveo at $0.80 per month or Callcentric at $1.50 per month.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

SteveInWA

Quote from: skid on March 13, 2015, 05:22:07 PM
Hi all I am new to this forum.  I tried to search and I am sure I missed it but had a couple ?'s about the obi200 and google voice. 

I currently have been using Magic Jack and just tried Net talk...not happy with Nettalk.

If you have the OBI200 and google voice do you always have to leave your computer on with something logged in or do you hook it up just like the MJ+ or NetTalk Duo?

An OBi device is a standalone Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA), basically a small computer, with its own "system on a chip" or SOC, microprocessor inside.  The OBi stays on all the time, connected to your internet router, just like the NetTalk Duo product.  Calls are not going through your PC -- they are going through a regular corded or cordless analog telephone, plugged into the OBi box.

I have heard differing answer to faxes.  We usually send about 5 to 10 a year but MJ is very hit or miss.  How well does this work?  I have HP all in one 6500A Plus.

You can connect a fax machine or HP Officjet's fax modem to your OBi's telephone jack to send and receive faxes.

Can you and how do you call into a conference call someone else has set up?  MJ you can not do this with.  NetTalk you are supposed to be able to but havent tried.

Remember:  you are using a telephone, plugged into the OBi device.  Just call the phone number.  Note that the so-called "free" conference calling services are not free at all.  They are ripping off other telephone companies by charging them high interconnect fees to call the conference numbers.  Google used to ban these numbers, but now allows calls to them, for a $0.01/minute fee.

Any recommendations for E911 I have seen a couple but wanted to see some updated responses to how well it works...this is a bit more important to me as before I had a home phone my wife got sick and if I were not home she would of never made it to her cell in the other room and would of never made it.

When you set up an OBi device with Google Voice, you can subscribe to E911 service from Anveo through an easy set up procedure.  Otherwise, if you wish, you can separately subscribe to E911 from Callcentric or from some other provider.  Both Anveo and Callcentric's service are reliable, but for emergency use, especially if you have anyone in the house with mobility issues, you should consider a back-up method of calling E911, such as a cell phone.  At minimum, plug a cordless phone base station into the OBi, and keep a cordless handset within easy reach at all times.  For example, I keep handsets by my bed and in the bathroom, and in the kitchen.  If you have wired phone jacks throughout the house, you can also plug the OBi's phone jack into the house's phone wiring, assuming you have electrically disconnected any outside land line service from a traditional telephone or cable company.