News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Do I still need AVNEO if I use Google Voice

Started by rhldr, March 13, 2015, 11:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhldr

Last year I signed up for Avneo when Abihi said it would not support Google Voice, however it appears that it is now supported.  Does this mean that I can drop AVNEO and return to just using Google Voice?

202Owner

Google Voice is a limited free service with no 911, no customer service, and no obligation to its users.

Anveo is a progressive full-featured service.

You decide.

I can only recommend that you keep a primary provider like Anveo and use a free provider like GV for outbound failover.  But your needs might dictate otherwise.

rhldr

Good suggestions.  Thanks for the response.

BigJim_McD

Quote from: rhldr on March 13, 2015, 11:56:47 AM
Last year I signed up for Avneo when Abihi said it would not support Google Voice, however it appears that it is now supported.  Does this mean that I can drop AVNEO and return to just using Google Voice?

rhldr,

As 202Owner said: "Google Voice is a limited free service with no 911, no customer service, and no obligation to its users."

I keep Vestalink for "Incoming Calls", for CNAM and E911 which is very important to me as I had to use E-911 last year to get medical assistance for a loved one.

I use Google Voice for "Outgoing calls", "Voice Mail", the powerful "Call Forwarding" features, extensive "Phone Book" and "Group" features.  Also Google's SPAM filtering intercepts many SPAM calls.

I also use voip.ms as a Back Up service.  Also because the features on voip.ms are interesting to play with and very low cost.
BigJimMcD

202Owner

Quote from: BigJim_McD on March 13, 2015, 01:05:32 PM
I also use voip.ms as a Back Up service.  Also because the features on voip.ms are interesting to play with and very low cost.

My first and primary provider is VoIP.ms.  No complaints, really... full-featured, full service, high quality, low cost, and no nonsense.  I intend to add a second provider in reserve, but there has been no hurry.  I use Google Voice for outbound failover... easy to do using OBi trunk groups... outbound will failover to the next available trunk permissible by that trunk's digit map:

Trunk Group1 = sp1,sp3,sp4,pp1,vg1

SP1 VoIP.ms pop server sub-account1
SP3 VoIP.ms alternate server main account
SP4 Google Voice server account
PP1 OBiTALK server (no account required)
VG1 CallWithUs toll-free server (no account required)

BigJim_McD

Quote from: 202Owner on March 13, 2015, 01:19:55 PM
Quote from: BigJim_McD on March 13, 2015, 01:05:32 PM

My first and primary provider is VoIP.ms.  No complaints, really... full-featured, full service, high quality, low cost, and no nonsense.  ... ... .. .

2020wner,  I agree with your comments on voip.ms

During the time when we didn't know if we would be able to continue to use Google Voice on our OBi devices, I signed up for Vestalink service at a very low price for 2-years of unlimited service.  A little later, I started slowly learning about the powerful features on voip.ms.  I expect that in the future I will be making more use of voip.ms

I recently started using a "fork" to:  {ph,sp4(1866712345@tf.callwithus.com;ui=$1)} for NoMoRobo call screening in place of a voip.ms Ring Group and Call Forwarding to my NoMoRobo phone number.

I still have a lot to learn and a lot of exploring to do.
BigJimMcD

202Owner

Quote from: BigJim_McD on March 13, 2015, 02:12:31 PM
I recently started using a "fork" to:  {ph,sp4(1866712345@tf.callwithus.com;ui=$1)} for NoMoRobo call screening in place of a voip.ms Ring Group and Call Forwarding to my NoMoRobo phone number.

Great, it works I guess, if you hear one ring and then silence.

ceg3

Quote from: rhldr on March 13, 2015, 11:56:47 AM
The simple answer to your question is, yes you can drop Anveo any time and return to using Google Voice.  You will need to get a new GV number unless you go through the awkward process of porting your number back to Google.  It can be done, though, and you will find threads about how.

You can use GV and keep Anveo for E911, which is a very common setup and with some feature limitations works great.

aopisa

I use my mobile phone (over wifi, poor cell signal at my house) for most calls.

I have GV set up on an Obi device since the service is free and works well for my purposes. I have Anveo on sip2 for e911. It's the best e911 deal at only .80/month. Having e911 is important since anyone can pick up the phone and dial 911 and emergency services can respond even if the caller does not know the address. Or in case the caller has difficulty speaking for some reason first responders can still know the location of the call.

c3c3

I have renewed with Anveo for myself and 2 relatives.  Overall the reliability seems to be better than Google Voice (when we were using GV).  The message waiting indicator works with Anveo, which is useful for my relatives.

bbbb

Anveo  made me scared to lost my phone number. There was no responses to my request for renew with my sufficient money in my account Anveo just wants me to pay by PayPal Therefore I move my phone number to ring.to and bye Anveo . When the account was ended , I ask for the money still in my account , Anveo renew my account without phone number . Not a big deal , they can take little money from customer but for sure I will never come back  .
I felt no communication from Anveo , and not secure for my phone number . Bye bye Anveo !