News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Home Security System

Started by RonH, March 14, 2015, 09:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonH

I just received an email from Obihi with "tips" such as:

2. Use the OBi with Your Home Security System
Why keep an expensive landline around, if a VoIP line will do the job? With just a few clicks, you can now setup the OBi to work with your home security system.

No where on the link http://www.obitalk.com/ozone can I find an explanation of those tips. Can anyone help please.

Answers to rdhalstead@gmail.com please.

lrosenman

I sent a note to info@obihai.com with essentially the same question earlier today.  I expect it will be at least Monday before we hear something.

SteveInWA

It's not well documented.  What Obihai is describing, is a check-mark-in-a-box setting on the OBiTALK web portal, when using Google Voice (and only Google Voice) as the service provider, that tweaks the OBi settings to optimize audio for alarm panel DTMF communications.  You'll see it when you set up a SP for GV use.  Obihai was able to optimize their GV configuration to improve performance in support of alarm panels, but they don't offer the same tweaks to SIP service providers.

If you want to approximate this with a SIP ITSP, you could force DTMF to in-band, and use only the G.711 CODECs.  Further tweaks to the DTMF tone duration or speed might be necessary.  I'd start with the defaults.  I'm doing this with Callcentric now, and it isn't 100% reliable, so I'm going to give up on it and switch to a Verizon Wireless 3G/4G / IP combo unit soon:  https://www.ipdatatel.com/cellularbat.php

MurrayB

I would not trust my security to a VOIP connection. When I dropped Verizon I installed a cellular communicator. The system is set with scheduled automatic communication tests between the panel and the monitoring service.

SteveInWA

Quote from: MurrayB on March 14, 2015, 08:04:51 PM
I would not trust my security to a VOIP connection. When I dropped Verizon I installed a cellular communicator. The system is set with scheduled automatic communication tests between the panel and the monitoring service.

I agree, but everyone has their own level of acceptable risk.  We've discussed this quite a bit in past years.

That's why I posted the link to the CBAT unit.  It can communicate either via a cellular data link, or via a TCP/IP ethernet connection, to the monitoring center (redundant paths).

MurrayB

The CBAT appears to be an interesting device. I am using the Telguard Express:

http://www.telguard.com/home/products/residential/tg1express.aspx

lrosenman

I'm actually using an IP only CBAT and it works great with my DSC panel.

My note to info@ was mostly to say their mailing was not as useful as it could be.

Everton

I'm curious why the "special" adjustment is only applicable to Google Voice and not other VOIP Providers.  Why is it that OBi folks refuse to comment on this and why an individual should just trust them to provide a optimal setting, without any mention of the reliability factor.

I'm using the EnvisaLink 3 IP Communicator only (~$99),  Can be monitored for about $8-$11/month).  Get free arm/disarmed and various alerts!

http://www.eyezon.com/?page_id=176

no Cellular backup to minimize monthly cost.  Most Monitoring Company charge ~$15 per month for Cellular, which in my opinion, is not buying anymore security.  I notice a trend these days for the burglars to enter homes with Alarm System and quickly find the Master Bedroom, removed valuables and out in under 5 minutes, all the while the siren is blaring (They typically ring the door bell or knock on your door to determine if someone is home before breaking in).  Cellular backup really doesn't buy you much

Rick

I went from POTS to an internet monitoring solution that was not reliable, and switched to the Telguard Express, but that raises my monthly monitoring from $10.45 to $22.45, and I get no increased functionality.  I had tried an HAI unit in between, it proved to be incompatible with my panel and in general not of high quality.

I like that the CBAT provides both IP and cellular - but I can't find any info on a) who keeps the minutes full, b) if there is a charge to access it remotely or c) who that access is through.  One concern I've always had with IP monitoring is any ability to access my system remotely gives me vulnerability.  With cellular monitoring there is no ability to do that, but with IP if you have the ability to arm/disarm via IP then the ability exists to hack the system.

Edit - in communicating with the company today, I found out that your alarm company keeps the minutes through, and handles the interface - and whether you pay any more (yes) for that.  So, while it gives remote capability and IP as well as cell, no free ride here.

On another property I had to put a system in quickly and went with a Simplisafe.  Totally wireless, prices ranging from $14.99 to $24.99 per month for the level of remote access you want, and no contract.  Downside - the sensor batteries don't last anywhere near as long as they say, and when you are remote it's not fun to learn that a sensor isn't responding and it's several hours away.  Upside - you can remove that sensor from triggering a false alarm and just have it send a text.

I would not consider letting GV communicate alarm signals, and frankly not any VoIP service.  Too unreliable.