News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Two Obi boxes with one GV number

Started by enhompe, March 16, 2015, 06:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enhompe

Hi all! I'd like to have an Obi at home and one at the office, that both work with the same GV number. Can this be done, and if so, will any Obi box do it, or should a buy a model in particular?

lrosenman

I believe it requires a Obi202, but I'm sure someone will drop by with definitive info.

SteveInWA

There are several iterations of discussions back and forth on how to forward calls between OBi 1xx devices, but for just $8 more per unit at today's prices, I would suggest buying a pair of OBi 200 units.  You'll get a more capable device for future expansion, and it is very easy to set up the same GV accounts on each device.  You'll also benefit from 4 SP slots vs. 2, better fax support, etc.

BigJim_McD

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 16, 2015, 06:28:23 PM
There are several iterations of discussions back and forth on how to forward calls between OBi 1xx devices, but for just $8 more per unit at today's prices, I would suggest buying a pair of OBi 200 units.  You'll get a more capable device for future expansion, and it is very easy to set up the same GV accounts on each device.  You'll also benefit from 4 SP slots vs. 2, better fax support, etc.

enhompe, 

I agree with SteveInWA, buy a OBi200 or a OBi202 if you will ever need to use two phones at the same time.  I have an OBi202 (with a 2-Line phone) and also an OBi200.  I have a Google Voice phone number that works on both the OBi202 and the OBi200.
BigJimMcD

azrobert

From another post I see you already have an OBi110.
This is how 2 OBi's work with the same GV account:
Outbound calls work on both units.

If your 2nd OBi is an OBi2xx, it will always receive inbound calls.
You would add configuration code to the OBi2xx to route inbound calls to the OBi110 using the OBiTalk network.
The 1st unit to answer will be connected to the call.

If your 2nd OBi is an OBi1xx, the last OBi1xx to connect to GV will receive inbound calls.
Both OBi1xx's would be setup to route inbound calls to the other.
Now it doesn't matter which OBi1xx receives the call, both OBi1xx's will ring.

BigJim_McD

Quote from: azrobert on March 16, 2015, 10:40:11 PM
From another post I see you already have an OBi110.
..... ..

azrobert, 
You are correct I have a OBi202, OBi200, OBi110 and a OBi100 devices.

The OBi202 and OBi200 share one Google Voice phone number and one Vestalink phone number for Home service.  The home Google Voice number is Call Forwarded to the Vestalink phone number.  Both the OBi202 and the OBi200 Ring via SP1 from Vestalink on incoming Home phone calls.  If there is an issue with Vestalink, I Call Forward the Google Voice phone number to Google Chat which also rings both the OBi202 and OBi200 via SP2. I have voip.ms extensions on SP3 and SP4. We use Google Voice for Outgoing Home phone calls.

The OBi200 and OBi110 share one Google Voice phone number that I use as a lightly used Virtual Office number.  Calls to the Office Google Voice number only rings the OBi200 via SP3.  It will not ring the OBi110 unless, I configure a "fork" to the OBi110.  I can make outgoing calls via my Virtual Office Google Voice number from either OBi200, SP3 or from the OBi110 SP2.  OBi110 SP1 is a voip.ms extension.  The OBi110 Line Port connects to a magicJackGo.

The OBi100 has a third Google Voice phone number on SP2, that I use for VoIP testing.  OBi100 SP1 has a voip.ms extension.

We use the OBi202 with a 2-line phone for Home use, which allows two simultaneous calls.  The OBi200, OBi110 and OBi100 are used to test VoIP configurations in what I call my Little VoIP Lab.  My wife calls them my Toys and my office my dungeon.
BigJimMcD

LTN1

Big Jim...sorry to divert the thread a bit but you and Steve seem to have been using the OBi devices for awhile (by all the different models you own)--how long have you guys used the OBi and have you ever had one that became defective?

BigJim_McD

Quote from: LTN1 on March 17, 2015, 06:48:38 AM
Big Jim...sorry to divert the thread a bit but you and Steve seem to have been using the OBi devices for awhile (by all the different models you own)--how long have you guys used the OBi and have you ever had one that became defective?

LTN1,  I've used a OBi devices along with Google Voice since early 2011 without having any defective devices.  My first OBi device was a OBi110 that I used with Google Voice and a POTs line that I had until last year.

I have always connected my OBi devices, routers and PC's to a UPS Battery Backup unit which I believe prolongs the life of most electronic devices.  I currently have three UPS Battery Backup units.
BigJimMcD

SteveInWA

I've been using them since the first 110 was introduced.  I haven't had any failures.  YMMV.  Like Jim said, use a UPS for best results...  I have a ridiculous s___load of electronic gear, all UPS-protected, or at least, protected by a APC surge protector, and the only time I've ever had an incident was when I overloaded a branch circuit in my house, causing a "brownout"-like voltage drop.  The UPS self-destructed, as it should, and a power-strip smoked, as it should, and none of the attached equipment was damaged.  I used to actually sell UPS equipment to data centers and network installations, so I'm kind of a fanatic about it.  Note that there are a lot of sub-par surge protector power strips out there, and that any surge protector that is subjected to repeated surges may eventually break down (doing its job).  APC and Trip Lite are probably the two most robust and reliable surge protector brands.

LTN1

Big Jim and Steve...very good to hear that the devices are lasting without any defects so far. Thanks.

SteveInWA

I'll just add that some failures on 110 units could be explained by users connecting the unit's external line port to their premises wiring, where a surge could be introduced along the wiring path, or from a still-connected path to the outside telephone company infrastructure.

HoustonT

Quote from: azrobert on March 16, 2015, 10:40:11 PM

If your 2nd OBi is an OBi1xx, the last OBi1xx to connect to GV will receive inbound calls.
Both OBi1xx's would be setup to route inbound calls to the other.
Now it doesn't matter which OBi1xx receives the call, both OBi1xx's will ring.

Thanks for the post, this is exactly what I would like to do. I have searched with no luck, so how do I setup one OBi1xx to route inbound calls to another?

azrobert

Assuming GV is defined on SP1 make the following change on both OBi1XXs:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute: ph,pp(200123456)

Change 200123456 to the OBi number of the target OBi1XX.

Sometimes during initial setup, code is automatically added to send these calls to the Auto Attendant.
Make sure the following is at the default value on both OBi1XXs:
Voice Services -> OBiTalk Service -> InboundCallRoute: ph